The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Liquid Nicotine Question.

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by hell_storm2004, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. hell_storm2004

hell_storm2004 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    Hello Everyone,

Are all liquid nicotine the same? I found a local supplier who makes liquid nicotine. Just wanted to know if all nicotine the same as long as its a PG or VG base? And is cheap and 98% pure. Or should i look at 100% pure?

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    No. The purer the nicotine the clearer and the less odor it has

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. hell_storm2004

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    Ok, so 100% pure is what I should get?

I see a lot of websites mention the abbreviation USP. What does that stand for?

• Like Like x 2
  4. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    The term 100% can be misleading. 100% pure anything is generallly difficult to achieve. Also nicotine needs titration with either pg or VG to make it safe to handle. To make it more complicated nicotine decomposes in the presence of heat and light. The stuff I buy is generally100mg/ml 99.9% and I keep it in the freezer. I am not a real expert on this though. I’m hoping others will chime in.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. hell_storm2004

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    I know 100% claims will definitely short of the mark. Now how much short alright is the question. This is my first order of Nictoine. Just wanted to get an idea what words to look out for when getting. I might end up buying online, but just need to whatever I can about the stuff.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai Full Member

May 24, 2017
    Hell, Norway
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Foggy Road

Foggy Road Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    USP stands for United States Pharmacopeia. You do NOT want to buy any nicotine without that marking on the label!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Well, unless your local supplier is growing the tobacco leaves and extracting the nicotine themselves, they are not making liquid nicotine. Most of the nicotine available here in the US comes from India while there is some that comes from other sources from overseas. Most will have that info online, but you may have to search for it. And as @Foggy Road mentioned above, it must have USP on the label that indicates it reaches or surpasses rigid standards here in the US. Also any pg or vg you buy should also have USP on the label.
    Also beware of the strength of the nicotine. If you buy 100mg, that stands for 10% nicotine. Most people use anywhere from 1-24mg in their mixes so you must know how to dilute safely. Check out the DIY forum for more info. You can buy in the nic strength you currently use but also note that when mixing it with flavoring that will dilute it down a little depending on the amount of flavoring used. But you probably won't even be able to notice much of a difference.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. hell_storm2004

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    Ah crud, I just spent a month there. If I knew that was the case, I would have got some for cheap!! I know they make good tobacco! I got addicted on their ciggs... brilliant stuff. But i also thought this one was also something that China would dominate.

I am looking at 100mg/ml. I will try to make some at 6mg, that is what I vape right now.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    There are plenty of free calculators in this forum that we are in, just go up one and scroll down. There are also free calculators online, do a google search for e - liquid recipes sorry for the spaces but ecf won't allow for us to link this site.....add the dot com on end.
    I use Dan's calculator a lot in this thread, it is an excel spread sheet and very intuitive.

Do come and ask any questions you have before you start to mix, just to be safe. Also you can take a look at some of the vendors DIY kits. Nicotine River has a really nice one. You don't necessarily have to buy a kit but just look at what all is in it for an idea of what you may need to get started.

Once you collect everything needed to mix safely, the rest is experimentation. Your taste may not be my taste. LOL

I would also suggest a few one shots where all you add is the nic, pg and vg. Onestopdiyshop .com has some very good blends already mixed for our pleasure. Lots of members here love them. I recommend trying a couple just to get you something to vape while you experiment with DIY. It also gives confidence that you really can do this.....

10 ml (Sample Size)'

10 ml (Sample Size)

Good luck and let us know.

:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. papergoblin

papergoblin Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    Depending on the MG you vape, I'd suggest using a less concentrated nic base. The reason being is it is safer until you're used to working with it. Remember gloves and stay in an area easy to clean up. Nic, I'm sure you're aware can be absorbed through the skin.

Last thing, there are many US based nic vendors and they all taste a little different. I've bought from Wizard and EcigExpress in the past. They were both great to deal with and great companies but the Wizard nic base, seemed harsher (more peppery). It's kind of like flavorings, many make a strawberry but each one is just a little different than the next, you have to find the one you like.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. hell_storm2004

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    I do have a lot of gloves on me which i use to do the dishes from the time to time. I am ready on that part. For calculators I found the LiqCalc App on Play Store. Seems a nice little app!

All in all just waiting on the PG/VG to arrive and just finding out about the nicotine thing before placing an order.

I have a few flavors already in stock.

Just one thing though, do all, flavors, nic, PG/VG go in the freezer? Or the fridge is fine?

• Like Like x 6
  13. Foggy Road

Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Only thing I freeze is nic. Everything else is kept in a cool dark spot in my vapor den.
    I would suggest buying a small quantity of nic until your certain you've found a brand that you like. I made the mistake of buying a full liter of 100mg and 3 years later I've still got about 300ml left. Nothing wrong with stocking up but make you like it first.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. hell_storm2004

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    Hmm... Fair enough. I will start with probably a 100ml order. But is it just the harshness that I need to look out for? Or something else as well?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Foggy Road

Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    I think it just a matter of personal preference. Some folks detect a Peppery taste from from some brands while others may not even notice.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JCinFLA

JCinFLA Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2015
    Good idea...to buy a small amount first, from whatever vendor you choose as a 1st choice.

Regular nicotine bases can vary in several ways: in the amount of harshness or pepperyness (throat hit) if there is any at all, in the smell, in the color, and in the taste. Each person has a preference for the combination of those things that suits them.

I, personally, prefer nic base that's smooth, and has minimal if any smell, color, and taste. The 100mg/mL nic base in 100% VG that I've bought from the following places has all been to my satisfaction: Heartland Vapes, Nicotine Giant (formerly RTS Vapes), Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers, Nude Nicotine, and Wizard Labs. However, since everyone's tastes are different...what's smooth, tasteless, and clear to one person may not be to another.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I buy from nicotine river (nic salts) and heartland vapes (their budget nic). I find both of them to be fine, but I was using nic salts at first because my respiratory system was pretty torn up when I got here and nic salts are (usually) smoother.

I would consider maybe trying different vendors in small amounts to see what you like best, if you wind up with any preference at all, I mean some people just aren't crazy sensitive to nic differences, etc.

I started with 48 mg./ml nic (I was worried, I can be clumsy) but quickly moved to 100 mg/ml due to space reasons and the fact that I was having no issues whatsoever. I actually don't use gloves for my nic, because if I get some on me I want to feel it so I can wash my hands, not spread a thin film of nic everywhere honestly so no gloves for me.

When I was not using a premixed base of all ingredients but flavors at the correct nic strength (you kind of have to know what your "general standard flavoring base" is though for that, to a fairly reasonable degree, I flavor usually around 10% so I just factor that in to my calculations and have ready mixed base, makes thing so much faster) but I would do the nic first, take care of any dribbles or spills, and then just deal with the other ingredients hence minimizing my nic exposure.

Although unless you are using some ungodly high percentage of nic (which you should absolutely NOT do) well, even if you have some catastrophic spill,, you're gonna have time to get to the shower and wash it off, nic is not instantaneously absorbed through the skin, so you know, use due caution, but you don't need hazmat procedures or anything.

Finally, go with PG base if you can. I am PG sensitive so I have to use 100% VG base and it is gloopy, it's harder to handle, it's a pain in the rear, etc.
    Good luck and happy mixing!
    Anna

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. JCinFLA

JCinFLA Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2015
    IMO, while a 100% VG base is thicker...how a person mixes, what they use/do to measure it out or dispense it, etc. can make a difference. Many find using 100% VG no more difficult than 100% PG base, while many others prefer to use only the 100% PG. It's just another personal preference (like which nic to use, what measuring method to use, etc.). :thumbs:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. hell_storm2004

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    I would assume puffing smoking the rubbish Benson & Hedges and 555 all these years would make me immune to harsh throat hits. Never smoked lights as well. But vape stuff have a completely different set of rules!! :p

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 440BB

440BB Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    You're right - instead of either menthol or not, we have unlimited choices. Sometimes I think we get too picky about flavors and harshness when we never even thought of it as smokers. Congrats on starting to mix your own and saving some real money!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.