Little Vapor and Flavor with KangerTech Protank 3 (Dual-Coil)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been using ecigs for a couple years, however I just purchased a decent one 2 days ago. Previously I used the original NJOY, the SmokeFree, and finally the BLU. While those were ok, it got to be too expensive buying the cartomizers all the time. Also the cartomizers, especially the BLU, don't last very long at all. I vape quite a bit, so paying $15 for 5 cartomizers every 3-4 days got to be too expensive. I went to a local store the other day that came highly recommended by several people that I know that have ecigs. The salesperson was nice and took the time to answer all my questions and get me what I needed. I ended up with the KangerTech EVOD 2 Dual-Coil Starter Kit with a KangerTech Protank 3 (full size, not mini, and also dual-coil). The salesperson told me that the dual-coil models will give more vapor but generally will run down the battery quicker. However the EVOD 2 starter kit comes with 2 batteries, and being used to the crappy battery life on the BLU models, these seem to last forever to me. I asked about a glass tank since many of the people that I know told me its the best way to go, and since Im spending the money, I figured I might as well get whats good. The salesman told me that a glass tank is better since some fluids, especially citrus flavors, will crack the plastic tanks. He also told me that I would get a lot better vapor with the Protank 3 than the standard EVOD 2 clearomizers. At first I wasn't too sure about the tank since being full size, the diameter is bigger than that of the battery and I thought that the setup looked stupid at first. However when I found online that it is a pretty common thing, I felt better about it. I do like being able to carry a good amount of fluid with me since I vape quite a bit throughout the day. I work full time and I am a full time student, so most days I am out of the house for 12-16 hours, so it is nice to have a large tank with a lot of fluid. I also like that I can easily see how much fluid I have left. The standard EVOD 2 clearomizers only have a small window on both sides, and since my color is black and I have a somewhat dark liquid, it is sometimes difficult to see how much fluid I have left. In my searches I have also read that having a tank less than 1/3 full can cause issues. I also read that blowing into the mouthpiece helps. This does give me more vapor, but only for a second or 2, and it then drops off again.

My issue is with the Protank 3. Despite being told that I would get a lot better vapor with it, I actually am getting a lot less vapor with it than I am with the standard EVOD 2 clearomizer. I did some checking online, but only found to make sure that it is clean, has a new coil, etc. The tank is brand new and this is the first time it has been filled with fluid. I also made sure that the tank was full and that everything is tight, but not too tight. The fluid that I am using is the Virgin Vapor Organic Naked Vanilla. I found the page on the manufactures website that I will post below so it may help. I got this liquid because it is one of the only fluids at the store that the salesman knew 100% for sure did not contain alcohol. The others he was pretty sure about, but not 100% since they don't always list it in the ingredients. The reason this is important to me is that my job involves a lot of machinery, and part of the policy is that we are not allowed to use any drugs or alcohol. We are randomly tested, and the test that they do is called an ETG. It looks for something in particular that the body makes when it metabolizes alcohol, not alcohol itself. Therefore, it is possible for an eliquid that contains alcohol to cause a positive reading on an ETG test.

I have read that darker/thicker fluids can cause more issues. Despite being vanilla, the fluid isn't that dark compared to other vanilla fluids that I've seen. The closest thing I can compare it to color-wise is to Jack Daniels Whiskey. The fluid isn't very thick either. It's not as thin as water, but not nearly as thick and syrupy as some of the other vanillas, and many other liquids I've seen in general.

Im wondering why I'm getting very little vapor and flavor from my Protank 3, especially since it's supposed to give me more than the standard EVOD 2 tanks. Everything is brand new, clean, and tight. I did open the bottom of the tank to look at the coil (not the actual coil itself, but the assembly that gets screwed into the base of the tank. I checked to see if the wicks were blocked or something like that, but I didn't see any issues. However I am still new to this so I may have been looking directly at a problem without even knowing it. The Protank 3 does come with 2 coils, one which is in the tank now. I have given thought to using the other one but I wanted to ask someone here that knows a lot more about this than I do first. This way I don't take a chance on wasting my 2nd and last coil.

The webpage for the fluid that I'm using is: Organic Naked Vanilla E-liquid | Virgin Vapor | Electronic Cigarette Organic e-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes

I would like to thank all of you in advance for your time reading through this, and for any help and/or advice you may be able to provide. Any helpful response(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

-Joe-

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
When using a dual coil generally you have to double your wattage/voltage. Because the wattage gets divided between the two coils. So if you have it on 15 watts then your getting 7.5 watts to each coil. So keep that in mind. You want loads of vapor up the wattage/voltage. OH that is a general rule some feed systems can't keep up with that and you may get a dry hit. Have a PT on order so I only have my kayfun to compare to. Since it's from Fasttech it may be the next century before it gets here. LOL

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
IIRC, the kit you got is a fixed voltage battery. If the second coil for the PT is a lower resistance, try that. With a fixed voltage, the only way you can change the heat is by changing the resistance of the coil.

Different toppers come from the factory with different resistance values, so the Evod may have come with a lower one than the PT.

That's one of the reasons so many go to VV or VW batteries / mods, so we can adjust the power to the coil instead of changing the coil. (Of course, many also build our own coils to the resistance we like. Not so easy with the dual coil heads, though...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread