Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Goes to definition of “quality”

The FDA ironically has your back on this one to some degree. They made anyone selling eliquid show that the ingredients weren’t actively dangerous to a limited extent. Eliquid makers HATED it. Partially because they didn’t think it was necessary which turned out to be almost entirely true. After the fact anyway. Before the fact was of course unmeasured. That’s all water under the bridge at this point though.

I suspect you’re looking for beyond federal minimums though. Only thing I can think to do is get informed, ask, and hope they don’t lie. Me I simply went DIY and cut the problem off at the knees.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Since you are located within the US, you should be pretty safe. Since the FDA Deeming Regulations began to go into effect, vape shops have been notified that they are subject to unannounched visits by "boots on the ground" agents who will insure that shops are being compliant to the new rules.

One shop owner in a neighboring town where I live who mixed his own recipes for sale decided to close shop after the announcement, I presume because he didn't think he'd be able to conform to the regulations. If I recall, the first violation is a warning and fine, second violation would be closing the shop, a fine, and possible jail time.

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
Goes to definition of “quality”

The FDA ironically has your back on this one to some degree. They made anyone selling eliquid show that the ingredients weren’t actively dangerous to a limited extent. Eliquid makers HATED it. Partially because they didn’t think it was necessary which turned out to be almost entirely true. After the fact anyway. Before the fact was of course unmeasured. That’s all water under the bridge at this point though.

I suspect you’re looking for beyond federal minimums though. Only thing I can think to do is get informed, ask, and hope they don’t lie. Me I simply went DIY and cut the problem off at the knees.

Good points and quality can mean different things to different folks. I'm not really concerned but curious as to conditions and QA/standards where liquids are manufactured and processed. Mostly curious to ya'll's knowledge etc on shops potentially buying juice from cheaper (read cost cutting) manufactures and potentially from areas in the world where there are few to any enforced/checked regulations and practices that may impact the quality of products we buy. Pretty much applicable to everything really. Lettuce comes to mind as an ex.

With all that said, I haven't read of any cases where this has happened re:vapes and I'm not concerned. Just curious to real experiences/opinion ya'll have.

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
Buy your own supplies and make your own liquid then you don't have to worry. It's much easier than most people think. It's definitely less expensive than buying from a shop.

Pretty much agree and my thoughts too as most of us feel better when we (think) we are in control.
However, you sure about your supplies (VG, etc)?
I'm not concerned nor think most folks should be currently Mostly just thinking and sharing thoughts and soliciting others thoughts/opinions.

Vape on!

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I think it's just like everything else really. Buy supplies from a reputable vendor is really all you can do. As far as shops go ummmmm HELL NO! I wouldn't let alot of the stupid kids that work in the shops around here wick my coils much less trust them to make ejuice. There is a shop down the hill that I do trust to make juice but they are expensive. They have good juice that only a couple people can get in the clean room to blend. They get most of their supplies from the same place I do. I was talking with the owner one day and she was nice enough to show me around.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Pretty much agree and my thoughts too as most of us feel better when we (think) we are in control.
However, you sure about your supplies (VG, etc)?
I'm not concerned nor think most folks should be currently Mostly just thinking and sharing thoughts and soliciting others thoughts/opinions.

Vape on!
Generally. VG is easy because it falls under food laws (if you get the right kind) and as such is also watched by the FDA, though a different section which actually has larger teeth. Flavorings are more iffy. They’re a total PITA to make though and also fall into the catagory of food so they get a good looking at too by the FDA. I try to buy only US or EU stuff just because they have that moniker.
Nic is the hardest. Best measure I have of that I have is sight and smell. I look for dead clear, no odor unprotonated, and it goes and stays in cold storage.

If I had a gas chromatograph and a high pressure liquid chromatograph and the skills to use them I’d know more. They’re horrifically expensive to buy, run, and even interpret the results of though.

What we need is a flavoring mooch. And a nic mooch, and a base mooch. Any retired chemists with expensive toys out there bored enough to play?

The vaping world needs more mooch.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Generally. VG is easy because it falls under food laws (if you get the right kind) and as such is also watched by the FDA, though a different section which actually has larger teeth. Flavorings are more iffy. They’re a total ..... to make though and also fall into the catagory of food so they get a good looking at too. I try to buy only US or EU stuff just because they have that moniker.
Nic is the hardest. Best year of that I have is aight and smell. I look for dead clear, no odor unprotonated, and it goes and stays in cold storage.

If I had a gas chromatograph and a high pressure liquid chromatograph and the skills to use them I’d know more. They’re horrifically expensive to buy, run, and even interpret the results of though.

What we need is a flavoring mooch. And a nic mooch, and a base mooch. Any retired chemists with expensive toys out there bored enough to play?

The vaping world needs more mooch.
If you search there are already threads answering or linking to articles about the points you've mentioned.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If you search there are already threads answering or linking to articles about the points you've mentioned.
Yeah. I’m just regurgitating info I learned here. I suck at digging up old links though. Are you saying there IS a flavor mooch or a nic mooch?! This I missed.

Reactions: Kennneth

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I didn't think there were many shops around anywhere that still mixed house juice. Everyone around me sells commercial juice only. The headaches of compliance is just too much for small vape shop to pay for unless they're very commited and have a large enough customer base. It's been a significant profit hit for vape shops that used to rely on the heavy markup house juice generated. I expect many closed on that basis alone.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I didn't think there were many shops around anywhere that still mixed house juice. Everyone around me sells commercial juice only. The headaches of compliance is just too much for small vape shop to pay for unless they're very commited and have a large enough customer base. It's been a significant profit hit for vape shops that used to rely on the heavy markup house juice generated. I expect many closed on that basis alone.
They exist. The one I know of locally also sells it commercially some of it at least in China of all things.

Reactions: Eskie

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
Real good info from all, kids mixing juice, good stores to better stores, satisfied but improvements always nice.

bombastinator, you make me remember a question I've been meaning to ask...dang, I have a lot, sorry ; )

Our juice ideally needs to be kept out of light and I agree. However, the shops I've seen have their stock (lots) on the shelf light up quite well. I see the marketing need for this but what about rotation of stock? And unpopular juices that may be on the shelf for a long time? Not to mention the clear bottles a lot of them use.

And thanks for the regurge : )

• Disagree
Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Real good info from all, kids mixing juice, good stores to better stores, satisfied but improvements always nice.

bombastinator, you make me remember a question I've been meaning to ask...dang, I have a lot, sorry ; )
I make you have memory issues?! AGGH! Am I contagious then?! Horrifying thought
Our juice ideally needs to be kept out of light and I agree. However, the shops I've seen have their stock (lots) on the shelf light up quite well. I see the marketing need for this but what about rotation of stock? And unpopular juices that may be on the shelf for a long time? Not to mention the clear bottles a lot of them use.
well as @Letitia pointed out I’m not an expert. Sort of the reverse actually. I can tell you what I’ve read here though.
Unprotonated nic degrades in heat and light. One of the advantages of protonated nic is it’s much more resistant. Even in a lit room temperature environment it’s not very fast though. Would I buy a bottle of juice that sat on a shelf for a year? Not intentionally. I might have actually just done it though. I picked up two bottles on sale. Wasn’t thinking. Looking at the bottles neither one has a date on it. This is surprising. :censored:. Now I’m scared to vape the stuff.

I don’t know of any specific findings on how long unprotonated nic can sit at room temperature myself. They’re probably around here somewhere though. Maybe @Letitia knows.

My only personal measure is I bought a liter of unprotonated and put it in the fridge (not the freezer) a good while back. It was kind of iffy going in, (color was off brand new) and it’s just now getting to the point I can smell it. The bottle is half gone and I’m the only one who’s been vaping it. I’ll probably dump the remainder. The stuff is probably OK but the sniff test is all I got and it’s starting to fail it.
And thanks for the regurge : )
No problem. Projectile vomiting verbiage is kind of my thing.

• Informative
Reactions: Kennneth

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Juice is usually good for up to 3 years if kept in a cool dark place. Very few commercial juices have a born on date but there are a few. That1Vape is one that comes to mind. Before diy I preferred ordering juice online, many of those juices turn over faster than shop juice and are made to order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread