Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Also the 30Q's that started this whole thing or at least the two that I tested are showing 3.6 is that fine do I just leave them alone and let them stay in there for a while Check them again in a few months or do I need to do something to them. I don't really care about losing a little bit of capacity or something I just don't want it to get down to the point where I can't recharge them when I do use them which should be in the next 5 months

You need to check them every so often and recharge if needed. How often? I dunno. Probably every 6-12 months.

If you're going to get into battery storage, being that it's not a passive endeavor, you may be better off at some point buying 4 bay charger (or larger) that shows voltage on the screen. Would be much faster than loading them into a device one-by-one just to check the voltage.

Last edited:

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    If this is the model you have, then it says "Automatic Current Selection Based on Battery Capacity" (first paragraph under 5 new features)
    NEW i4

EDIT: I just read specs on the older model I4 and it's automatic, also
    Mine literally says new on it I just checked lol okay so that's good to know so I don't have to worry about this It's just going to do its thing and it looks like it's doing it right. when I go to get another charger eventually I'll probably get one that actually has number read outs. Thx!

Reactions: BNEAT

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Okay thank you guys for all of the suggestions I'm very happy now. My 521 tab is telling me that I'm at 4.17 on one of my batteries. That had a solid light indicating it was done charging. And then when I put both batteries into my DNA it gave me 8.36 so I think that that's within the realm of okay as far as accurate readings and my charger isn't overcharging them at least I assume so because then it would be higher than 8.36 for two batteries. If I'm incorrect let me know.

Simply for ease of use I think I'll just use my tab to get them to where I want to store them at I mean it doesn't have to be exact just to store correct?

Sounds like you are Exactly where you should be Charge-Wise. Good Deal.

Now if you ran a pair of those Batteries in you Mod down to 7.2 Volts or so, you could put them away for 3 Months or so while using another Pair.

Then do the Same thing when you Cycle Back in the Pair(s) you put away.

Last edited:
    • Winner
    Reactions: AvaOrchid

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Voltage and SOC don't have a totally linear relationship. If they did, I'd say 4.2V is fully charged and 2.8V is fully discharged. So 1.4V difference. 4.2V less 60% of 1.4V is 3.36V.

Personally I've settled on 3.6V as a storage charge. It works well.

Oh, and keep 'em cool. I'm doing a long-term test on this. After one year, refrigerator temperatures seem to be the best compromise. Room temperature lost more capacity. Freezer lost slightly less capacity, but had more of an increase in internal resistance. One of these days, I really need to write this up in detail...

This is useful information! I just bought a stash of Molicel batteries and was trying to decide how to store them.

I may end up storing them in the basement storage room. I suppose I could refrigerate them but my fridge is already full with all of my large flavor bottles. And the freezer has 8 liters of nicotine stored in 250 ml amber bottles.

hmmmm decisions decisions!

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    That chargers has a setting that'll take it them 3.7V just for long-term storage...kinda handy I guess

which charger are you referring to? The nitecore that I’m using has blinking lights until the charge is complete. I usually stop the charging while the last light is still blinking. Knowing the “exact” voltage is guesswork.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    Louisville, Kentucky
    The "new" Nitecore I4
    NEW i4
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what they're talking about, but it definitely says something about long term storage a couple of paragraphs down the page
    which charger are you referring to? The nitecore that I’m using has blinking lights until the charge is complete. I usually stop the charging while the last light is still blinking. Knowing the “exact” voltage is guesswork.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    Louisville, Kentucky
    btw, you're supposed to fix my typos when you quote me:blush:

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    This is useful information! I just bought a stash of Molicel batteries and was trying to decide how to store them.

I may end up storing them in the basement storage room. I suppose I could refrigerate them but my fridge is already full with all of my large flavor bottles. And the freezer has 8 liters of nicotine stored in 250 ml amber bottles.

The storage room sounds about right. While you're right to avoid heat, batteries don't fare well in cold temperatures either. If your batteries ever get below freezing, do not use or charge them until they've warmed up (and you have to wait some time after the outside has warmed up because it will take longer for the warmth to reach the core of the battery).

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    The storage room sounds about right. While you're right to avoid heat, batteries don't fare well in cold temperatures either. If your batteries ever get below freezing, do not use or charge them until they've warmed up (and you have to wait some time after the outside has warmed up because it will take longer for the warmth to reach the core of the battery).

Thanks for those tips. Fortunately I keep some heating air vents partly open so the basement doesn’t freeze.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread