Looking for a great mechanical mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin
I want a mod to use with cartos, and that'll last a while, and that I can count on. No VV, VW, nothing like that at all, sorry pro-ProVarians. What I'm thinking of, and want to order in about 2 weeks, is something that's pure mechanical, 3.7 volts, obviously 510 threaded, and I prefer metal.

The models I'm thinking of are the short Roughstack but I've heard of problems with the non-clicky button. The Vapage Vmod 2.0 but I don't trust the plastic underbody. And the GLV XL Mini, half becasue I love the duality of the model name, but i don't care for the sidecar design all that much.

As you can see buy the last one, I'm OK with spending $200 for the mod, batteries and charger. One last thing, I don't want a tube mod.

Any help deciding will be great. Comment on any of the models listed or bring up other mechanical mods. Also, be nit-picky if you have one that bugs you even in a small way so I know what to expect.

Thanks lots.

Last edited:

jrjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2009
SoCal
Roughstack - not mechanical. The mod itself is tough as nails, but I went through 4 switches in a year - gets expensive and leaves you without your PV at the worst times.

You want a metal mechanical, but not a tube mode? I don't think I know of any mechanical metal mods that aren't a tube of some kind.

FWIW - I just ordered the "TEC mod" from DiscountVapers - under $50, stainless steel fully mechanical mod, adjusts for differnt battery sizes. I haven't received it yet, so I can't comment on quality (or lack thereof) - what little I have read about it seems positive. Also, have you checked out "The Natural" from Madvapes? Basically a stainless GG clone, but looks like a nice one - also has extensions for different battery sizes.

Whodoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Missouri, USA
You won't find mention of it on ECF, but Thermovapes latest offering is the Cera mechanical mod. It has a lifetime warranty, costs $250.

I bought it for eliquid, but unfortuantely the mfgr sells cores to be used for 'other' purposes. As an ecig though, it should be the best of the best.

Google search 'thermovape cera' for more info. ............... (no affiliation but i did order one a month ago).

Thermovape does have a following on ECF, they used to make the AVA line of atomizers. Recently they've put all their eggs in 1 basket though, and only make the Cera now.

jazon1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2012
Phoenix,AZ
i have been thinking about getting a Vmod XL myself they were on sale for awhile for $99 for the full package,only things holding me back were the plastic inner body and the fact that they were not VV and its a pain to get a kick in one,not sure why you dont want something with VV it makes your vape alot more customizable,im yet to have any VV/VW device break on me.

just the same ive been waiting for one of THESE to get in stock you might like one.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Puresmoker makes the Legacy. The kit comes with batteries in the 2600 mah range. There are no switches or wires at all. It utilizes a bottom button that simply advances the battery up to a brass contact point to complete the circuit. The housing is made entirely of very thick stainless steel. If you change your mind later and do want to vary things up, you can add a kick. It's really not necessary if you get say 2.0 or 1.7 ohm cartos though.

The thing looks pretty cool and it works flawlessly.

I got 2.5 days battery life on mine when it's not kicked.

You could roll over it with an 18 wheeler I think and still not break it.

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin
Thanks guys, good posts so far. Let me clarify one small thing though. I want tough as nails and dependable becauce I want a road mod I can take on travels and to the woods and stuff like that. I have a VV mod at home for whatever I want to use. That also is why I was looking for this to use cartos.

The Legacy is one I'll look into further.

Are the problems with the Roughstack buttons a plaguing issue or do some people get good ones? Also, do you have old or the new version?

neonballoon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
United States
I'm going to picking up a Dingo later today and it seems like it would fit your bill perfectly except it being a tube mod. A sexy one at that. If you like the form factor of a Dingo, there are also similar mods like GP PAPS, Chi-you and Caravellas although all of them are bottom button rather than on the side like a Dingo.

Also I'd check out REO mods as they are mechanical, made from a single block of aluminum so it's tough as nails, and rather than using a carto tank, you screw on your carto/atty of your choice to feed directly from the bottom giving you better flavor.

Whodoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Missouri, USA
I'm going to picking up a Dingo later today and it seems like it would fit your bill perfectly except it being a tube mod. A sexy one at that. If you like the form factor of a Dingo, there are also similar mods like GP PAPS, Chi-you and Caravellas although all of them are bottom button rather than on the side like a Dingo.

Also I'd check out REO mods as they are mechanical, made from a single block of aluminum so it's tough as nails, and rather than using a carto tank, you screw on your carto/atty of your choice to feed directly from the bottom giving you better flavor.

I am set to receive a Reo Mod later this week, and the all ceramic Cera in a few weeks. The toughness factor s/b there with both!

FWIW - the Thermovape Cera is designed to take a major beating & be used outdoors.

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin
I am set to receive a Reo Mod later this week, and the all ceramic Cera in a few weeks. The toughness factor s/b there with both!

FWIW - the Thermovape Cera is designed to take a major beating & be used outdoors.

I looked at the Cera, is that one for leaves or liquid or both?

And I have to duck bullets because of this, but I don't like the design of the Reo at all. Kind of like how I don't like the ProVari.

xsphat

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2012
Wisconsin

Where are you getting a Dingo in the US? I can only find out of stock Aussie sites.

neonballoon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
United States
Where are you getting a Dingo in the US? I can only find out of stock Aussie sites.

Luckily, I found out about a retail store in Southern California called VapeRev yesterday that carries more advanced mods. I called in last night after I found out about the store to put a hold on their last Dingo. They also had some Rollers in stock as well. :) I was absolutely shocked and delighted a B&M store carries more advanced mods than eGos around me.

The Atimozoo website has a blog entry saying that they will have more Rollers and Dingos in stock early next month also.

Kami

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Ireland, TX
The most reliable mechanical MODS are Tubes.....not a whole lot can go wrong.....usually just a spring may cause issues.
The Cube, GGTS, Caravela (if you can find one), Curve, xHaler, etc....
or if tubes are out.......maybe a Flair.....Looks like a Touchwood but is fully mechanical, made from a Damascus Steel looking material and utilizes Imeo's GG button.

Good Luck xsphat :)

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
go for a Super T Manufacturing's Precise Plus (I'm about to get the 18650) or the ELA (a telescopic version)

Stainless Steel, lifetime TRANSFERABLE warranty, also has exotic metals for the contacts, and IMO is the best looking mechanical mod I have seen (certainly a matter of taste, but there is something minimalistic design I love).

anywhere b/w $180 to $240+ i believe (for the ELA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread