Looking for advice: Does more expensive equipment mean better vaping experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebbM

Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Redondo Beach, CA
Still new at this but very curious to know if I continue to upgrade equipment will my vape experience also improve. To date I started with an eGo C upgrade, went to a eGo twist, now using an itaste vv, vw 3. The difference in flavor, throat hit and vapor by just upgrading to the itaste has been amazing. I consider this an upgrade as I spent $20 on my twist and double that on the itaste. Now wondering if I take another step up will my experience go from amazing to Wow! Also looking for recommendations on next type of equipment to buy. I think I am hooked.

txgtr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas
I'd look into the different delivery devices. Evods, protanks, vivi nova's etc. I use protanks and vivi nova's depending on what juice I'm using.

I just recieved an IGO-L dripping atomizer yesterday and believe it's going to be my main vape. I'll use a protank or vivi nova when dripping isn't conveinient. The IGO may not be a very user friendly device for someone new to vaping unless you don't mind fiddling with stuff. If you are a fiddler, it's awesome.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
That depends on you mostly. Does my Kayfun lite vape better than a Vivi Nova or Protank? Yes. Does it vape the 6X it costs better? No. Vaping is like anything else, you'll find expensive things versus more economical things but things like a Protank, Vivi Nova and many of your less expensive batteries like EGO, X6's or inexpensive mechanical mods are pretty good. High end stuff is worth it to buy more handmade (I should say small company, CNC made) higher quality items and that they are over the economical stuff but you don't need to buy it to get a good vape. You buy it because you want it.

jetcity

Keeper of the Provari Ω
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Washington
I don't think you have to spend a lot, but I do think you have to experiment to see what you like... then upgrade if that's what you want to do. I started out using the stardust (CE4 type) clearomizers, vivi novas and pro tanks. None of them made me say WOW (flavor-wise), and I didn't like how they burned up quickly. Some juices don't wick well or gum up the heads and then you're replacing them all the time.

I finally settled on carto tanks and never looked back. The cartomizers are $1 each and last approx 1 week (for me). It takes a little practice to swap them out but now I don't even think about it and it only takes a couple minutes.

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
I switched to carto/tanks. You can get polycarbonate tanks cheap, under $10. I use them on my Twist.

It was a big jump up in flavor and vapor. I'm not really feeling the need to upgrade from here. Maybe upgrade to pyrex tanks, $30+ each. Some say they taste even better.

I am saving up, got my eye on some IBTanked tanks.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
IMO, as long as your equipment is not holding you back, more expensive gear is not going to give you a better vape experience.

The right gear for you and what you like is important. Importance of vape gear for me starting with most important first is the juice delivery device (atty, carto, clearo, etc), the juice and last the power supply. The first two are almost equal. The most expensive carto tank will not work for you if you don't like using cartos.

I also found making my own juice to really help. I can now modify my juice for the device I put it in.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
You've got some nice things :) if they're working for you why buy more devices? Lots of people (including myself) buy a nice prize for milestones. I saved the big mods and what not for later on. My goals including cutting back nicotine, and zero nicotine. When I got down to 12 and 6 mgs the eGo wasn't doing it for me. Since it was coming up on a year I decided to skip twists. Went straight to the VV mods. It's all up to you and what you want to do.

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
Like as already been stated. Delivery systems and juice are where I would focus if I were you. Twist and itaste are two very good products, eventually you will probably get a bigger APV. But there is no guarantee that you will like the vape better. The bigger ones usually go to 6 volts or 15 watts. But many people come nowhere near hitting the upper limits on them.

So much of vaping is subjective, some people swear a Vamo tastes better than a Twist using the same settings and setup. Others will swear a Provari blows the Vamo out of the water in the same circumstances. Still others swear 4.5 volts is 4.5 volts regardless of what device is pushing it.

Do what makes you happy, after all it is YOUR vape.

Last edited:

jozef-3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Plano, Texas, United States
Still new at this but very curious to know if I continue to upgrade equipment will my vape experience also improve. To date I started with an eGo C upgrade, went to a eGo twist, now using an itaste vv, vw 3. The difference in flavor, throat hit and vapor by just upgrading to the itaste has been amazing. I consider this an upgrade as I spent $20 on my twist and double that on the itaste. Now wondering if I take another step up will my experience go from amazing to Wow! Also looking for recommendations on next type of equipment to buy. I think I am hooked.

Deb this really depends on what kind of vaping experience you are looking for.

Taste?
Clouds of vapor?
Grab and go?
Being able to adjust voltage or wattage?
Etc…

This thread will throw you in different directions because everyone has a different preference.

For myself, I wanted to chase the big clouds. I enjoy the clouds and it feels close to the real thing.

My first upgrade from a ego twist was a vamo. I knew I wanted to be able to vary my voltage like the twist. I definitely noticed a difference in power output just upgrading to the mod (vamo). Mostly because I'm using better performance batteries ie. AW IMR or EFest IMRs. I was rolling with a protank and was happy with the result. I learned how to rebuild my protank and began tinkering and was able to push more vape by trying different wicking materials. I found out what I liked, what worked , what didn't to suit my wants through rebuilding the protank.

Someone suggested to get a dripper so I went ahead and got the IGO-L. Watched a bunch of YouTube videos an found out how easy it was to rebuild the IGO-L. Then the clouds started coming in. I can no longer use my protank since even my best setup could not compare to the experience I was getting with my rebuildable dripper, the IGO-L. I ended up giving my protank away to my brother.

I played around with the IGO-L and found several great wick setups and realized the limitations of a variable device. I was capped in terms of resistance limits and power limits and I didnt like that. I researched other more expensive variable devices and they had the same limitations (except for dna20 mods but at the time the only ones available were box mods so didn't want that).

Through live chat here, someone suggested to try a mechanical mod, these devices have no wires no internals just pure usage of the batteries. Batteries have their own limits amp wise and voltage drops etc…. So getting a good battery is key. I wanted to try going sub-ohms which is resistance lower than 1.0 to push more clouds. Now I am very happy with my current setup using a Segelei #5 (45$) with my IGO-L at 0.6 ohms using ekowool and 28g kanthal. Don't let the terminology scare you, there are lots of videos on YouTube that go over this info. Now I only use the Vamo as a resistance checker, it's practically shelved!

I'm conclusion, you should think about what kind of vaping experience you want and go from there. You do not need to buy very expensive devices to get what you need. Unless you want the bragging rights, ie hollister shirt vs a similar shirt at target.

If you want to chat with someone check out live chat, there's a bunch of us there who are wiling to help you get there.

Don't buy the hype, buy what suits your want.

Disclaimer to people who argue clouds: my wanting to chase clouds is what I look for in a vaping experience. I use my money to get there and enjoy it when I'm there, so unless you want to buy me my vaping experience spare the chasing clouds argument etc…it'll just be ignored. My chase for clouds is what keeps me off analogs and at the end of the day that's what matters.

Good luck Deb and see you in live chat :)

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If you haven't tried cartos give them a try. They're cheap :) Cartomizer tanks are nice too. I've got some cheap eGo tanks from Madvapes. It's a new experience without having to spend lots of cash.

I agree. I find cartos are the second best system I've ever tried. Put them in a tank, load them well at the start and you are good to go. Check out Baditude's blog here. He has some great info on cartos and tanks.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
I don't think you have to spend a lot, but I do think you have to experiment to see what you like... then upgrade if that's what you want to do. I started out using the stardust (CE4 type) clearomizers, vivi novas and pro tanks. None of them made me say WOW (flavor-wise), and I didn't like how they burned up quickly. Some juices don't wick well or gum up the heads and then you're replacing them all the time.

I finally settled on carto tanks and never looked back. The cartomizers are $1 each and last approx 1 week (for me). It takes a little practice to swap them out but now I don't even think about it and it only takes a couple minutes.

I second this whole-heartedly. Tanked cartos all the way.

Shane Bappe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Cozad, Nebraska, United States
Holy cow, you have hit the nail right on the head when you say experiment. I'm in my second month vaping and my wife is getting tired of seeing new stuff arriving in the mail. It's a bit frustrating finding the right gear for me and my collection is growing quite fast but I think I have a setup that is pretty darn close to making me more content with my Smoktech SID and Protanks. Kind of wishing I hadn't wasted so much money with Halo not realizing they're not threaded for many of the other tanks and carts which makes them almost useless to me now because I like having options.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I have not tried a carto, primarily use a protank, Evods, and vivi novas. I think a carto will be my next step as I am curious if they provide a different experience.

Some people, including me, can taste the polyfill in cartos. Before you order a carto tank it would probably be a good idea to buy a package of cartos first to see how they taste to you.

However, dripping pretty much blows other juice delivery devices out of the water for flavor. Unfortunately, manual dripping is a process that many find tedious and is not practical when on the go. Bottom feeders like the Reo, VMOD and Bogger Box get around the problem by allowing you to squeeze a bottle of juice to feed the dripping atomizer but they are a bit expensive.

The newly released Vision Aurora BFT is a relatively inexpensive device that turns a regular PV into a bottom feeder. I ordered one and liked it so much that I got three more and plan on gifting a couple. They work very well and couldn't be easier to use. I use my Auroras on my iTaste VV 3.0's which gives me all the features I prefer such as pushbutton VW as well as a screen readout for oHms and remaining battery life.

The Aurora comes with a regular long barrel dripping atty as well as a couple of replaceable heads that you can use with a tube that is basically a DIY atty. The heads are also rebuildable should you want to start exploring the world of rebuildables.

Unless you are pushing the upper power limits of your iTaste VV 3.0 at 10+ watts you won't get a better vaping experience by getting a more powerful PV. You can get more battery life but it will be at the expense of size.

This is a picture of one of my Auroras on one of my iTastes.

Todd normally reviews rebuildables and mechs but he gave the Aurora a very good review. Got Vapes has the Aurora BFT- Bottom Fed Tank Top Atomizer Kits in stock and Mad Vapes should have them in a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread