"Looking for advice," he says, sweetly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishUpstart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
River Falls, WI, USA
Hello, everyone. My name is Irish, and I am a new member to the forum. I am at a lose to how much is going on here. If I am posting this in the wrong place, I apologize to you all, and doubly-so to the mods. To prevent myself from getting "wordy" I will break down things into a few bullet points before my question(s):

- Been completely analog free for about 5 weeks.
- I went with a popular ecig online company, and to be honest, I adore them.
- Mostly, I have been rocking "cigalike" batteries and they do the trick at work.
- Recently got my first passthrough....epic in comparison.....same company.
- Have some experience with clearos, and like them for home use, but cartos work best at work.
- Am currently addicted to buying juice. (yay! addiction substitution!)

Okay....those are the basics. Now onto the question...

I was wondering if you fine folks might be able to suggest the next logical step for me. I don't think I am ready/willing to drop the money on a provari mod, and I don't think I yet have the knowledge for re-buildable attys. I was looking at the Volt X2 900 mah as that seemed like an advancement of what I have been using for the home (and non-work places....like the lady's back patio if this winter ever ends (in wisconsin, usa)). Is this something that would be a good purchase? I value any input or suggestions that you may be able to offer. Thank you in advance!

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
The Volt X2 is a fine KR808 device! I have several...in all the available sizes and several colors. I used them exclusively for months and really liked the way they work, a lot. The passthrough feature is a big plus, too! While I mostly use other APVs now (box style VV and mechanicals) I still keep my X2s.

vanillagurilla

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Anaheim ca
The most obvious I could suggest is an ego twist battery, that will let you explore variable voltage for around $20. I have mechanical mods that I use sub 1ohm coils and a tesla that doesn't even get used anymore but my ego twist and boge low res cartos in cheap smoktech tanks are my go to for at work. A 900mah ego should last you all day with no worries.

IrishUpstart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
River Falls, WI, USA
Thank you for the confirmation! Now, the only reason I leaned towards the 808 is cuz of the stuff that I already have. Would there be any additional benefit to go with a different thread number (510 is it?)

Edit:

Would I benefit from a VV at this point? I see the Twist talked about a lot in the brief time I have spent here.

Last edited:

HK-47

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Arizona
The main advantage is customizability.

A large majority of makers of different tanks, clearos, rebuildable atomizers and such use a 510 type threading vs an 808. It's just more common, not better or worse. Most of the APV mods that I've seen are also 510 and some are eGo threaded. So basically, if you buy a bunch of 808 accessories (tanks, clearos and all that) then if you wanted to upgrade to something like the VAMO or Provari or whatever, your 808 threaded things will not work with it.

So while there's certainly nothing wrong with your setup, or continuing to buy further from Smokeless Image (they're a good company, or so I read), you don't have as much flexibility in customizing your gear.

My suggestion is use what you have for a while, explore some options and read read read. If you're ready to step up to something bigger though, most people would probably recommend you'd look into an eGo style battery with 510 threading, such as the fixed voltage ones or the variable voltage like the Twist or the Spinner. I just purchased a set of those tonight myself, and I'm upgrading from a cig-a-like kit called the Halo G6. It's a good kit, but I need something a touch more powerful for at home use, just like yourself.

IrishUpstart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
River Falls, WI, USA
Why go any further? If the X2 meets your needs, stick with it. Many do.

I do not have a X2 yet....that would be my "further". Was just wondering if that was well regarded before I ordered, or if there was something else that people generally go with post-cigalike batteries.

IrishUpstart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
River Falls, WI, USA
The main advantage is customizability.

A large majority of makers of different tanks, clearos, rebuildable atomizers and such use a 510 type threading vs an 808. It's just more common, not better or worse. Most of the APV mods that I've seen are also 510 and some are eGo threaded. So basically, if you buy a bunch of 808 accessories (tanks, clearos and all that) then if you wanted to upgrade to something like the VAMO or Provari or whatever, your 808 threaded things will not work with it.

So while there's certainly nothing wrong with your setup, or continuing to buy further from Smokeless Image (they're a good company, or so I read), you don't have as much flexibility in customizing your gear.

My suggestion is use what you have for a while, explore some options and read read read. If you're ready to step up to something bigger though, most people would probably recommend you'd look into an eGo style battery with 510 threading, such as the fixed voltage ones or the variable voltage like the Twist or the Spinner. I just purchased a set of those tonight myself, and I'm upgrading from a cig-a-like kit called the Halo G6. It's a good kit, but I need something a touch more powerful for at home use, just like yourself.

Thank you very much for this!

HK-47

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Arizona
If you're interested, I just sent these links to another person as a suggestion.

Rawr Vapor: Ego Basics Kit - Mods - Hardware
This is an eGo battery, fixed voltage with a pass through that you can plug into your computer. 1 clearo and some juice. Obviously you'll want to have a lot more than this, but for 20 bucks it's enough to get your foot in the door/test and see if you like this system without being out very much.

http://www.vaporbeast.com/category_s/1845.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=1845&show=10&page=2
This is what I just ordered myself tonight, plus a few of the other types of tanks and clearos to experiment with. Always a good idea to have spares of everything.

Play with something like the eGo, or go for the smaller versions and if you like what you see later on you can spring for the bigger APV's like the VAMO or the Provari or whatever else by then might be out. Most people have suggested that a purchase like this isn't one you'll regret anyway. eGo's are a handy backup, or nice enough that you can pass it forward to someone else new to vaping to try out or someone you might convert.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If you wish to explore variable voltage, you need not get a Twist. The Smokeless Image Volt Spinner is variable voltage. Therefore you can continue to use the juice delivery devices that you use on an X2.

The Volt Spinner is essentially rebranded Vision Spinner. Companies such as Smokeless Image make manufacturing deals with the maker, and have both the seller and manufacturer's names placed on the product. This is a quite common business practice.

http://smokelessimage.com/batteries/voltspinner.html

Last edited:

IrishUpstart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
River Falls, WI, USA
I would like to thank everyone for their help and information. I ended up ordering the Volt X2 mainly for compatibility with existing stuff. Next month, I think I will get an ego twist to break into the VV and 510 markets.

After that....caravela mod. Found a video of it and fell madly madly in love.

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Hi Irish...Congrats & welcome. Great group of folks here at ECF, always ready to help & believe me, they do. As to your questions, I agree with all the above + I would also take a look at the Vision Spinner. If I remember correctly, it's either 1100 or 1300mAh & would really last the day for most. The only prob I found with it is the cut off time seems short, but, that could be me. Anyways, welcome & Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread