looking for guidence this time around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazzy

Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
Michigan, US
About 4 years ago I started vaping with a 901. I did really well, almost kicked analogs completely, and then with a change of address (and a significantly shorter commute to work) I slipped back into the "convenience" of analogs. I desperately want to get back to vaping and kick analogs for good. I'm not looking (or at least it's not a priority) to kick nicotine completely - I'll be content with simply kicking analogs to the curb.

So, there are so many new things on the market that it's making my head spin honestly. I want the analog look/feel for public areas, and maybe something with a little more kick for home use (where I smoke the most). I still have a bunch of my 901 stuff but the thing I didn't like about the 901 was that I felt it didn't really give much vape, where as a co-worker had bought a 510 at the same time and seemed to get significant vapor production so...

I'm thinking of buying a 510 kit with charger case for public, and an eGo for home use. I don't actually know about the eGo other than I see it's bulkier and therefore I'm making the assumption it kicks out a more satisfying vapor production. I still want to stay with a 'pen style' (if that's what they are called) even at home (in other words, I don't want to use one of those box-shaped devices). So I'm wondering 1. if my assumption is correct that I'm going to get more 'oomph' from an eGo style e-cig for home use, 2. there are SO many variations on components now, that instead of one style just being ONE thing, I see the eGo has variations to choose from that I don't even understand what they do - a 'tank' batt verses a regular one, different voltages or wattages or whatever, and "clearomizers" verse whatever they normally come with, and even ohm whatever that means! aaahhhh lol Any clarity here would be appreciated - I'm looking for something that will be satisfying enough for a pack-a-day smoker to pick up at home instead of an analogue without feeling deprived in any way (which the 901 tended to do - especially after meals or morning coffee).

Otherwise, does 510 in public and eGo at home sound like a decent plan to jump back in? Or am I missing something that would work much better for me that you could guide me towards? I obviously have no prob buying a two diff kits for home/public use and I already know I'm going back to DIY flavorshack for my liquid because I loved theirs and hadn't found any I liked better back when I was vaping, so kits don't need to come with any liquid.

Thanks for any help. I want to get these ordered asap and get on with vaping and off these Marlboros (yuck!)

PS - I also prefer an auto battery so I'm wondering if the eGo comes with an auto or in general if all e-cigs are manual except the optional auto for the 510 at this point??

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I'd recommend you just buy the ego for home use first (I'd steer you towards the vv types, vision spinner or ego twist). Then, I'd say use that for a week while you research cigalikes. If, after a week, you still think you want something smaller for out and about you will have lots of research and can make a good decision.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
The bigger batteries last longer, but don't provide more vapor.

There are ego Twists (and joyetech spinners) that provide variable-voltage, these you can adjust the "heat" on.

Look at a battery's mAH rating (milliamp-hours). This is an indication of how long the battery will go between charges. Bigger is better.

You should check out the iTaste VV 3.0 if you really want to avoid the box styles, but IMHO the iTaste MVP (which is a box) is the best deal out there.

For anything decent, you do want a manual battery. None of the good stuff is automatic.

For heads, check out clearomizers, EVOD's, and protanks (and their clones). All good starting points. Clearomizers are the easiest to re-fill, particularly on the road.

It's worthwhile going to FastTech just to look at the different styles and read their reviews. Beware that you will probably pay twice what FT charges or more if you buy locally; that's fair since the B+M's can't sell as cheaply.

Here's a couple things to look at. These are low-end, but very serviceable:

Starters:
Clearomizer kit:
https://www.fasttech.com/product/1618305
https://www.fasttech.com/product/1411617

evod kit
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007047/1573901-evod-1100mah-rechargeable-starter-kit

ego twist:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1...c-twist-1300mah-variable-voltage-rechargeable

But browse around and look at the pictures.

Last edited:

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
Get two or three of these and call it a day. Great vendor and good price.
Katana Kit

As much as I want to use a cig-a-like, they just aren't strong enough to keep me off stinkies.

They are sold out, but since your link took him to where I was going to suggest... Get one of the Kanger Mini Protank 2 Starter Kit -VV instead. Buy one of these and some juice and you are good to go...

It is what I started with. You end up with 2 complete variable voltage PVs, and the Mini Pro Tank 2s work great. I have 4 of them.

And yes, The vendor is straight up. I stop by there all the time on my way home from work.

Last edited:

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
About 4 years ago I started vaping with a 901. I did really well, almost kicked analogs completely

I still have a bunch of my 901 stuff but the thing I didn't like about the 901 was that I felt it didn't really give much vape, where as a co-worker had bought a 510 at the same time and seemed to get significant vapor production so...

1. if my assumption is correct that I'm going to get more 'oomph' from an eGo style e-cig for home use,

You will get more from an eGo style kit and you will *most likely* find the same *almost* quality in cig-a-likes. You should follow the words of Sapzmelda and try the eGo for a week first. Or maybe look into the lower mah eGo batteries (mah = battery life, so basically its how long it will last between charges) you can get short little tiny eGos with lower mah ratings if you are put off by their size.

2. there are SO many variations on components now, that instead of one style just being ONE thing, I see the eGo has variations to choose from that I don't even understand what they do - a 'tank' batt verses a regular one, different voltages or wattages or whatever, and "clearomizers" verse whatever they normally come with, and even ohm whatever that means! aaahhhh lol Any clarity here would be appreciated

The katana kit linked below should help with all of this. A clearo like an evod as opposed to anything CE will definitely have better performance. As far as battery type - for home you will want a high mah (1100 or 1300) so it will last a good while between charges and you just need to decide if you would like that one to be standard fixed voltage or if you want to use this one to explore variable voltage. Variable Voltage means you can give it less or more power and customize it a bit to suit you.

I'm looking for something that will be satisfying enough for a pack-a-day smoker to pick up at home instead of an analogue without feeling deprived in any way (which the 901 tended to do - especially after meals or morning coffee).

Cig-a-likes will probably have the same effect, but a decent eGo and you will be good to go here!

PS - I also prefer an auto battery so I'm wondering if the eGo comes with an auto or in general if all e-cigs are manual except the optional auto for the 510 at this point??

There are auto eGo style batteries, SuperCig Automatic eGo 510 Battery

I hope all of this helps out some!! :)

CameraMan

Nov 20, 2013
US
I started about 4 years ago as well with the cig-a-likes. The main problem with them (for me anyway) was battery life. I was constantly without a charged battery. When you are trying to kick the analogs, that is not a good situation. The ego batteries last a lot longer, and you will be surprised how quickly you become accustomed to their size.

My suggestion, for what it may be worth, go with the ego for both.

SueandCootie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2009
south central Mass
Did the same as you...tried and fell off the wagon back in '09. I'm back enjoying all the reliable new equipment (I'm seeing more folks with our same story). Back then I was making my own mods to get reliability, so "size mattered not" to me this time!

After coming here and seeing the stunning amount of equipment, I read a thread recommending a starter kit from a vendor called Maxvaper, and ordered a set, then a second set a week later. This is a Kanger Evod type cig, super reliable, fixed voltage, simple solid tank system (I now own about a dozen of these tanks, plus other brands...). It is about the diameter of a sharpie marker and about 2" longer. I know we all wanted cig-a-likes to start with, but I don't believe we can get the battery life, vapor production, and consistent reliability with those smaller cigs to be able to quit analogues for good...didn't work for us before! It would be more convenient and less conspicuous of course, but not practical...battery technology is not there yet.

I have a pair of mvp2's as well...they're about the size of a pack of cigs which we all carries for so many years as well. When you think about it that way, we're just smoking the pack itself!!! :lol:

Mazzy

Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
Michigan, US
Thanks everyone for the help! I looked at those MaxVapor kits (saw them mentioned on another post and checked them out). I don't know what a good and bad price point is at this point, but it's looking like for two batts, carts, and a case it's going to run somewhere between $35-$50 depending on how fancy you get. I see they have some fun prints now too. :) I'll be picking one of the eGo type kits with the 2/2 configuration AND a wall charger (I don't care about the case) today. Now just to pick which one... Oh, and I scrapped the 510 idea so thanks for saving me a little money on that one. :)

PS - there's literally a vape store (but they only sell liquid) right around the corner from my apartment so that would have been real convenient. Still not as good as DIY flavorshack though so... Still, nice that it's right there in a pinch. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread