Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
not sure i understand your question

are you looking for atties that only use mesh wicks? If so as far as I'm aware there are none....using mesh for a wick is just a personal preference....any atty should work.

From the few reviews I've watched, the flavor is either the same or better....but the mesh wick lasts much longer than a regular wick, much the same as coils, dry burn/rinse/repeat and reuse

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
What I’ve heard about mesh wick coil cartridges hanging about here:
They are generally high wattage juice hungry DL attys with good flavor and average wick life.
You're thinking of mesh coils with cotton wick. Mesh wicks are a different beastie altogether.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
not sure i understand your question

are you looking for atties that only use mesh wicks? If so as far as I'm aware there are none....using mesh for a wick is just a personal preference....any atty should work.

From the few reviews I've watched, the flavor is either the same or better....but the mesh wick lasts much longer than a regular wick, much the same as coils, dry burn/rinse/repeat and reuse
Nope... Mesh wicks draw the liquid up (in most circumstances). They're typically built like an RDTA with the tank below and the deck above. Most mesh wicked coils are verticals. Imagine, then, trying to roll a big enough mesh wick to fill a 4mm hole... And forget about filling any of those square or triangular wick holes. That's A LOT of mesh to roll and torch. Most Genisis atties have smaller, round, approximately 2mm wick holes. Typically, they're MTL tanks...

Chris swearingen

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2018
Nope... Mesh wicks draw the liquid up (in most circumstances). They're typically built like an RDTA with the tank below and the deck above. Most mesh wicked coils are verticals. Imagine, then, trying to roll a big enough mesh wick to fill a 4mm hole... And forget about filling any of those square or triangular wick holes. That's A LOT of mesh to roll and torch. Most Genisis atties have smaller, round, approximately 2mm wick holes. Typically, they're MTL tanks...
Thanks Shawn. So genesis atty's could run a mesh wick safely?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Mesh wicks of old are nothing like today's mesh coils. Unless you have a genny tank, it's going to be a bit tricky to adapt a mesh wick in an rta or RDA. It can be done perhaps easier in an RDA, but to use a ss mesh wick in a regular rta is tricky. A ss mesh wick is your wick, whereas the new type mesh is your coil and you still use cotton. If you want to try a real mesh wick, it's a process that takes patience and time to get right because your wrapping a ss wick with kanthal and if that metal wick is not oxidized enough, you will get shorts. Totally different animals tbh, a ss mesh wick is nothing like a mesh coil. A ss mesh wick doesn't use cotton, so it's a pure taste when done correctly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
if you go about 9 minutes in, you'll see he's using it in just a normal rda

Chris swearingen

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2018
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure what could or couldn't run the mesh wicks. I've heard that they give exceptional flavor. I have the profile that runs mesh coils and I do like the flavor that it gives so I figured I would try the mesh wicks to see if there is any difference in them

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Apparently I have conflated the two. How are they different?
A rolled up, carbonized piece of mesh can be used as the wick in a genesis atty with another piece of round wire wrapped around the wick.

Mesh can also be used as the coil material in both coil heads and rebuildables with cotton/rayon wicking.

I've never seen anything other than ribbon wire or round wire used in Genisis atties...

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
A rolled up, carbonized piece of mesh can be used as the wick in a genesis atty with another piece of round wire wrapped around the wick.

Mesh can also be used as the coil material in both coil heads and rebuildables with cotton/rayon wicking.

I've never seen anything other than ribbon wire or round wire used in Genisis atties...
Ok. It seems we’re talking about different things.
There are to my knowledge 3 types of mesh coils

1. A replaceable “arc” mesh sheet in some modern rdas. These tend to use large amounts of cotton and behave somewhat differently than other rdas. The screen itself is the heater.

2. Mesh coil cartridges. These are much like regular cartridges but use a mesh screen instead of a coil for heat. Again the screen is the heater

3. Mesh wicks in old style genesis rta/rdtas.
These use no cotton at all but instead have a tightly rolled coil of SS mesh which has been carbonized to make it non conductive to use as a wick. In this case the mesh is not a heating element at all but is used only as a wick. Because of limited wicking capacity they are generally MTL RDAs unlike the other two. They are characterized by being difficult to set up right, but having extremely long lasting wicks. They are still use as I understand in the eastern block who have made some advances in their use.

I think what happened is I was talking about #2 and you were talking about #3, though I could be wrong about this.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Ok. It seems we’re talking about different things.
There are to my knowledge 3 types of mesh coils

1. A replaceable “arc” mesh sheet in some modern rdas. These tend to use large amounts of cotton and behave somewhat differently than other rdas. The screen itself is the heater.

2. Mesh coil cartridges. These are much like regular cartridges but use a mesh screen instead of a coil for heat. Again the screen is the heater

3. Mesh wicks in old style genesis rta/rdtas.
These use no cotton at all but instead have a tightly rolled coil of SS mesh which has been carbonized to make it non conductive to use as a wick. In this case the mesh is not a heating element at all but is used only as a wick. Because of limited wicking capacity they are generally MTL RDAs unlike the other two. They are characterized by being difficult to set up right, but having extremely long lasting wicks. They are still use as I understand in the eastern block who have made some advances in their use.

I think what happened is I was talking about #2 and you were talking about #3, though I could be wrong about this.
I am talking about #3. I am pretty sure that's what to OP was asking after... I kinda lump #1 and #2 together as they're using basically the same heating element.

Ain't communication a wonderful thing?

Chris swearingen

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2018
I am talking about #3. I am pretty sure that's what to OP was asking after... I kinda lump #1 and #2 together as they're using basically the same heating element.

Ain't communication a wonderful thing?
Yes I was interested in info referring two #3. Thanks again Shawn.

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread