Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Apparently I have conflated the two. How are they different?
Mesh wicks are the wick, no cotton but are coiled with your typical wire, but a mesh coil does use cotton and is the coil. I think one if the biggest differences is a mesh wick doesn't use cotton, therefore has a much different flavor. A mesh coil is just another configuration of a regular coil and imo wouldn't have as pure a taste because it's still using cotton

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Yes I was interested in info referring two #3. Thanks again Shawn.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
I think at this point being you dont have a genesis atty, a simple rda is going to be the easiest way to get a taste of a mesh wick. At least you can drip to keep wet. If you attempt it in a regular rta, it is a bit tricky because being you have never done it, you will be fine tuning a lot and in an rta, it's going to be a real pain getting to the deck multiple times.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Another thing is most who use today's mesh coils are sub ohm, higher watt, hi vg vapors , which is totally the opposite of genesis mesh wicks. Using mesh wicks properly in a genny tank might get you to 30 watts if everything is absolutely perfect, but typically your looking at 15 to 20 watts. Also, depending on the type of ss mesh (200 to 600 ) you typically aren't using vg percentages over 80 percent with 60 being more average.

Reactions: Eskie

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Got plenty RDA'S. Guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
I would oxidize a small piece first (whatever dimension you choose to make your wick). Just take a torch and oxidize the piece lightly on both sides. Then roll the mesh while keeping a needle in the middle(this keeps a small hole in the center). Roll it to fit your desired coil ID, or a tad thicker. You want at least 2 to 3 layers in the wick, meaning you overlap 2 to 3 times when twisting. Now check to see if it fits thru coil, it cannot be loose, nor very tight, but definitely snug. Kind of screw in the wick and if you feel it's too loose, you can screw the wick counterclockwise to make it slightly bigger. Now you trim the lenght but try and do it fast with something sharp, so you dont squish it to much. After cutting ends, try and re open the hole that you just squished at the ends (or one end, because you really only need to clip one end) now set the wattage to 10 watts and pulse coil. You will see hot spots until the coil has oxidized the mesh , so keep pulsing. Also you need to probe those hotspots with a toothpick or something by moving the wrap slightly where that hotspot is. So keep pulsing and manipulating individual wraps where you see hotspots. Eventually the coil should glow nice and even. Now set wattage to 15 watts and repeat, then to 20 watts and repeat. You keep doing this all the way to your desired wattage. Dont glow the mesh really hot, as it's all done with pulses, only glow the coil a bit longer when you dont see hotspots. One you get it perfectly, then start putting juice on it and try the vape. You need an RDA where hopefully the mesh wick sits almost on the deck or sit the coil down lower because if the wick cant absorb juice in the well, your gonna be constantly dripping on it. If the wick won't reach the deck, you can make the wick tails longer so they graduate lower towards the ends. Or you can kind of bend them down, but this doesn't work that great. Just dont oxidize to much before rolling, just a quick fast torch on both sides because the real oxidation happens from the coil being pulsed. Also watch a few videos on genny wicks and watch the crease you have to do before rolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread