Looking for new device! Please help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Ritchison

Feb 25, 2020
Advanced warning to please bear with me on this post. While I'm not new to vaping, I am certainly new to 'change' and haven't ever looked or needed to look outside my own little world of what has worked for me. My goal was to quit smoking and I did it 4 years ago; I started vaping and coupled it with smoking for 1 or 2 days and never went back! And a continuation of that success is all I'm trying to continue to accomplish here.

I have always vaped in a rather simple manner...ego II 2200mah batteries and aspire tanks with 1.8 coils. It's pretty much never changed. I get the fix that I need from this setup and just buy new batteries as they run their course. I was in a pinch one day and needed to get a new, cheap battery and a shop I was near had a Cartisan Twist 1100 available that would work with my tank. Again, another VERY basic device, but it's actually been pretty nice with the variable voltage. However, it is ridiculously tall; it's like the 'Misty' cigarette of vaping. So that's the recap of the only two devices that I have EVER used or know anything about. Sad, huh?

Anyway...I was looking to switch to this... Vamo V5 25W Regulated Tube Mod | stainless steel 510 thread 18650. The main reason being the battery and ability to replace it. That's important, yes? I know May is coming and am trying to be as prepared as I can even though you all are about 200 times more prepared! I am not sure if this is a garbage device or going to be somewhat comparable to what I'm used to using. Again, based on research and what I listed above, I feel that my needs are rather basic but the battery replacement seems to be key here. Does anyone have any insight or suggestion on this device or something comparable that may work for me? When you're like me and use the same device/tanks/coils/liquid, it's hard to even know where to start with a change.

I'm open to questions, opinions, suggestions, ridicule, shame, and any other information you can provide. Thanks!!

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Advanced warning to please bear with me on this post. While I'm not new to vaping, I am certainly new to 'change' and haven't ever looked or needed to look outside my own little world of what has worked for me. My goal was to quit smoking and I did it 4 years ago; I started vaping and coupled it with smoking for 1 or 2 days and never went back! And a continuation of that success is all I'm trying to continue to accomplish here.

I have always vaped in a rather simple manner...ego II 2200mah batteries and aspire tanks with 1.8 coils. It's pretty much never changed. I get the fix that I need from this setup and just buy new batteries as they run their course. I was in a pinch one day and needed to get a new, cheap battery and a shop I was near had a Cartisan Twist 1100 available that would work with my tank. Again, another VERY basic device, but it's actually been pretty nice with the variable voltage. However, it is ridiculously tall; it's like the 'Misty' cigarette of vaping. So that's the recap of the only two devices that I have EVER used or know anything about. Sad, huh?

Anyway...I was looking to switch to this... Vamo V5 25W Regulated Tube Mod | stainless steel 510 thread 18650. The main reason being the battery and ability to replace it. That's important, yes? I know May is coming and am trying to be as prepared as I can even though you all are about 200 times more prepared! I am not sure if this is a garbage device or going to be somewhat comparable to what I'm used to using. Again, based on research and what I listed above, I feel that my needs are rather basic but the battery replacement seems to be key here. Does anyone have any insight or suggestion on this device or something comparable that may work for me? When you're like me and use the same device/tanks/coils/liquid, it's hard to even know where to start with a change.

I'm open to questions, opinions, suggestions, ridicule, shame, and any other information you can provide. Thanks!!
Rule of thumb here is any regulated device will fail, that is just how electronics work, sadly. And the last thing you would want is your mod failing and there not be a replacement readily available. If you don't want a mech mod for future proofing your vaping experience, buying a few regulated mods that suits your needs would be the next best thing. When it comes to which mod, that is really up to you since there are tons of good options for each vape style out there. Check Google for any real world opinions on the device you are interested in (since the one in question is older it should have a few discussions around about it) and that will let you know any glaring issues that it may have. I wouldn't look to YouTube reviewers about it since they tend to only point out the good in most products and skim over the bad (in most cases).

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    aspire tanks with 1.8 coils

Which aspire tank?

I say drop the Vamo and get a more modern mod.

If you want a more modern device but prefer a tube shape that's not very tall, but is variable wattage/variable voltage with replaceable batteries, I suggest a EHPro Cold Steel 100 mod. It's design is kind of like a cross between a a box mod and a tube mod. It takes 3 sizes of batteries, 18650, 20700 & 21700. Has both wattage and voltage mode.

Fasttech (china) has them, for $40.75 after coupon code MAP, free shipping.

Depth - 1.08 in
    Height - 3.60 in
    Width - 1.54 in

If you would rather have something closer to the Vamo shape, then there's the EHPro Mod 101. I don't believe this has voltage mode, only wattage mode as is the case with most mods these days. Not that it really matters that much.

$30, no coupon code, free shipping.

Depth - 0.87 in
    Height - 4.41 in
    Width - 0.87 in

Both of these mods run on just one battery.

I recommend the cold steel 100 mod over the Mod 101 for various reasons but mainly because the Mod 101 has only 1 button so that makes things slightly cumbersome when making your wattage adjustments. Also, the cold steel 100 has voltage mode, which you are more accustomed to (but it will make no difference which mode you vape in).

Pay no attention to the temperature control modes or how high of voltage/wattage they go. You can just use these or any mods like the Vamo and set it to your desired voltage/wattage. Pretty much all mods are like this these days.

I don't recommend charging your batteries inside the mod. I suggest using a charger. (Actually I don't think you can charge batteries in the Mod 101 anyhow, but don't quote me on that, I don't own this mod).

For your vaping style, I recommend these Samsung 25R 18650 Batteries (will fit/work in either mod above) and the XTAR VC2 or XTAR VC4 charger. The major difference between the 2 chargers is simply one charges 2 batts and the other charges 4 batts.

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    It sounds like your old equipment has been doing what you need it to, so there's nothing to complain about there. Nonetheless, it may be time to look at what's available now, and a longer lasting mod and battery in particular. My (extensive) thoughts follow...

Tank

You don't say what tank you're using. If it has a 510 connection, you can go on using it if you choose. If it has an Ego, it might be worth considering upgrading that as well. I think the Vamo has an ego connector, but not much else does anymore - although you can get an ego to 510 converter if I recall correctly.

If you want to change, the most popular MTL (your style of vaping - lower power, higher resistance) tanks are Innokin's Zenith or Zlide. In next place would be Aspire's Nautilus series, including the latest Nautilus GT. They all have coils similar to the ones you're using now, as well as other options.

So, your top tank options are:
    • Stay with what you have
    • Innokin Zenith or Zlide
    • Aspire Nautilus series (GT, 2S etc.)

Mod

The Vamo is pretty dated and rather limited, as well as being discontinued and out of stock at most places. Then again, it would do what you want it to and I don't know of anything wrong with it, provided you know where it's available.

If you're interested in other options, you may have to give up VV in favour of VW. That shouldn't be a problem because it follows the same basic principle of "turn up for warmer vape, down for cooler". There are several tube-style 18650 mods around, as well as the EHPro, including:
    • Uwell Nunchaku
    • Innokin Plexar - takes an 18650 or 20700
    • One or two SMOK options. Avoid them. Their quality control is questionable. Or absent.
    Another mod you might want to consider is the Aegis Solo. It's not a tube mod, but it's known for being durable. It's also a bit bigger and heavier than the others.

Batteries

I don't know how much research you've done on batteries, but 18650s aren't like AAs where any option will do. It's important to get the right model from a reliable supplier (who has a good supply chain and conducts checks for counterfeits - not that they'll necessarily catch them all ahead of time, but they reduce the risk and let you know if there's a problem.)

At the very least, you'll want to check Mooch's (resident battery guru) chart of recommended batteries. The blue row in the chart lists reliable battery suppliers: chart here.

Any of the 18650s he lists will work for you if you stay below 21 watts, which you probably will. If you want to go a little higher, make sure to choose a battery rated at 15 A or more.

By way of batteries, you'll want to pick up:
    • The batteries themselves
    • A charger (the ones @UncleJunkle listed are good)
    • A few battery cases (cheap but essential for safety - never carry a battery loose!)
    • A handful of battery wraps (even cheaper but just as essential - never use a battery with a damaged plastic wrap! It takes a 10 cent wrap, 5 minutes and a hairdryer to replace the wrap, and you can find instructions here or on Youtube.)
    If you'd like a more thorough primer on batteries, I recommend Baditude's Battery Basics for Mods.

I hope this helps (and doesn't send you fleeing back to your original equipment in terror). Good luck!

• Winner
    Reactions: Izan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread