Looking for new setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoper50

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Ok, so first a little background. I'm an old member here but I haven't posted in awhile. I am a former smoker and a former full time vaper I quit cigarettes and started vaping in 2013. At the time carto tanks were very popular and i used them almost exclusively for almost a year. In that years time I worked my way from 18mg to 5mg juice and then I quit vaping full time. From that point forward I have mostly vaped only on the weekends in the evening. So I've been a little out of touch with the vaping world. I bought an Aspire Plato a couple years back and I have been using that instead of the cartomizer tanks. But a tragic thing happened tonight. I dropped the Plato on my kitchen floor and shattered it to pieces.

So I'm in the market for something new. I'm not looking to blow insane clouds or anything. I just want a good reliable vape. I'm not interested in building coils so I'd like something that has replaceable coils that don't break the bank. What are you guys using these days that you genuinely like? I'd prefer some kind of all in one kit or a box mod. an 18650 battery mod would be preferred.

Reactions: stols001

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
How about something reliable that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...like an Eleaf iStick 75W TC Pico for the mod? It's not one of "the newest mods", but they definitely hold up well, have the temperature control option, can be recharged by USB or charging the 18650 with an external charger. Many people on here bought multiples of them when they first came out, and they still use them!

What tank to recommend would depend on whether you vape direct to lung, or mouth to lung now. Also, knowing if you subohm vape or not would help, too. There are so many different tanks out now, that knowing your preferences...can help people make more suitable recommendations for you.

ETA: A couple of tanks that came out several years ago, that are well-built, pretty versatile, and still liked & used by many...are the KangerTech Subtank Mini and the TopTank Mini. Both of those have adjustable airflow control, and the coils they take are available in subohm and above. So they can work for people with various vaping styles and ohm preferences. The coils are also still readily available and can be found on sale at times for as low as $5-6 per box of 5!

I'm sure others will be along with info on some of the newer tanks for you, once you post about some of the above to help them. You'll undoubtedly get lots of different recommendations for mods, too.

Last edited:

ajbr

May 7, 2017
Melbourne, Fl.
Ok, so first a little background. I'm an old member here but I haven't posted in awhile. I am a former smoker and a former full time vaper I quit cigarettes and started vaping in 2013. At the time carto tanks were very popular and i used them almost exclusively for almost a year. In that years time I worked my way from 18mg to 5mg juice and then I quit vaping full time. From that point forward I have mostly vaped only on the weekends in the evening. So I've been a little out of touch with the vaping world. I bought an Aspire Plato a couple years back and I have been using that instead of the cartomizer tanks. But a tragic thing happened tonight. I dropped the Plato on my kitchen floor and shattered it to pieces.

So I'm in the market for something new. I'm not looking to blow insane clouds or anything. I just want a good reliable vape. I'm not interested in building coils so I'd like something that has replaceable coils that don't break the bank. What are you guys using these days that you genuinely like? I'd prefer some kind of all in one kit or a box mod. an 18650 battery mod would be preferred.
I highly recommend the Innokin Platform Mod with the Zenith Tank. The kit can be purchased for about $45.00. Coils cost about $7.50 for five and last a long time. Read the reviews on this tank-they have been very good!!
Good Luck!!

• Agree

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Vaporesso Revenger X 220W TC Starter Kit | Vape Kits

I have the Revenger X kit and have been really happy with it. Light for a dual battery, and the tank that comes with gives good flavor and is top fill. There coils are a bit pricey from most shops but I get them cheaper from fasttech. They last a long time for me, and I use super sweet juices. It’s a sub ohm dl, which may not be your preference.

Imho it’s a horrible time to go vape shopping because there are way too many good shiny things out there and it’s very hard to pick.

• Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think there are several you can't really go wrong on, as far as starter kits. Some will depend on what kind of resistance you like, an internal vs. external battery, and etc.

If you think you want to keep vaping, there is always the option of buying a relatively inexpensive box mod but with enough battery power that you can explore different tanks from the more MTL (something like a Nautlius 2 although I also think the Innoken Zenith is an excellent MTL tank out there now, with much more capacity and yes, coils last forever.)

Later, if you want to sub0hm and check out cloudier vapes, you'd only be looking at buying a sub0hm tank and you would have more variety to your vape.

But there are lots of good setups at the moment out there, and you've gotten some good recommendations.. Etc.

Anna

Reactions: flavourchaser

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I'm not interested in building coils so I'd like something that has replaceable coils that don't break the bank.
Assuming you are non subing.
Battery: Eleaf Istick 30 "don't break the bank" Mine is going on it's third year of daily use. Internal battery saves money by not having to purchase:
back up batterie(s), carrying case, volt meter(s), wraps, charger(s) (backup), battery Do's and Don'ts (Much higher learning curve not to mention the batteries themselves). Assuming you are non subing.
re: https://www.fasttech.com/p/2305002
Atomizer:
Plato:
"What makes it different from its competitors is versatility in offering both mouth-to-lung (MTL) and direct-lung (DL) vaping in ..."
Recommend: A rebuildable tank. Why? "don't break the bank"
One of these days you may get tired of the expense and effort replacing prebuilt coils and consider an RTA. If you can bend paper clips and thread a needle, you can build your own coils and wick them. It's that simple. All you need is wire and a round rod (small screw drivers work) with approximately 1/8 inch od plus a wire cutter..
Re: Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners
If you would rather not build the coil, you can buy pre built coils only:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10034435/7532007-kanthal-a1-clapton-prebulit-coil-wire-10-pack
Non sub ohm coils can last longer than sub coils. I use Rayon wicks. I can change a "coil" , meaning replace the wick, in less than a minute.
Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2
Tanks I would check out:
The Tron-S,using the CLR coils,the EHpro Kayfun Lite V2, Kayfun V5, and the Kanger Subtank Mini with the RBA/purch option.
YFTK Kayfun/SXK KF Prime Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer are also said to be a good choice.

• Useful

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I have to 2nd the Revenger X with a NRG or Cascade Baby SE tank. It’s my go to mod, is easy to operate, fits great, does TC beautifully and is pretty solidly built.

Either of the tanks I mentioned use the Vaporesso GT Coils and people probably think I’m paid by Vaporesso but imo their coils are awesome. Large variety to choose from, most are long lasting and all have great flavor/clouds. Those are the only tanks I use now that use drop in coils.

Can’t go wrong imo.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What are you guys using these days that you genuinely like?

JAC Vapor series B DNA75W
Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank

images

• Useful

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
How about something reliable that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...like an Eleaf iStick 75W TC Pico for the mod? It's not one of "the newest mods", but they definitely hold up well, have the temperature control option, can be recharged by USB or charging the 18650 with an external charger. Many people on here bought multiples of them when they first came out, and they still use them!

I agree, but given the choice, I would get the newer Eleaf Pico 21700 kit.

Basically the same as the original Pico except can do up to 100 watts, comes with a better tank, takes 18650, 20700, and 21700 batteries, and it costs $29.99 for the kit at eightvape.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I agree, but given the choice, I would get the newer Eleaf Pico 21700 kit.

I recommended only the Pico 75W TC mod, not the kit, because he didn't give details about how he vapes, nor what type of tank he wanted...other than he'd like 1 that takes less expensive drop-in coils. I'd heard too many negative comments about the Melo III that the Pico Kit came with, too. I have multiples of the mod though, so felt OK recommending it. :)

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I recommended only the Pico 75W TC mod, not the kit, because he didn't give details about how he vapes, nor what type of tank he wanted...other than he'd like 1 that takes less expensive drop-in coils. I'd heard too many negative comments about the Melo III that the Pico Kit came with, too. I have multiples of the mod though, so felt OK recommending it. :)

I see.
I have a Melo III that came with my Pico Mega. It's not great, but not bad.
I think it got bad reviews because it is an Atlantis style tank that came out during the sub-ohm Cloud Beast craze.

The Pico 21700 comes with the updated Ello tank which got decent reviews (and I have one), and I recommended the kit because the entire kit is actually cheaper than just the mod (which is why I have an Ello tank). :)

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Crown has always had moderately priced heads with great flavor and durability. The Nunchaku kit is nice and not very expensive. Great flavor too!

Another one I'd look into is the Armour Pro kit by Vaporesso. Heads are a little more expensive but it has a killer mesh head I urge you to try!

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
The Billet Box is always a good one. The SXK version of it allows you to upgrade firmware, comes with three bridges and costs about $100.
If the OP was happy with the Plato's format, this is propably the closest match. Choice of coils, external battery, all in one pocketable. Be aware that there are 2 versions of this, one has the evolv DNA chip at 60watts, the other is a 70w version with a chinese chip. Most have been satisfied with the China chip, but prefer the DNA (of course). Can use Kanger and Aspire coils, and comes with an RBA as well. I think it was the TTM version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread