Looking to charge multiple ego pens at same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebecca samoska

Feb 23, 2018
Hi, I'm under a year vaping, and am enjoying the simple MTL pens.
I have lots of flavors in lots of tanks, and like to use different flavors frequently.
My problem is I'm always looking for plugs to charge my batteries.
I'd like to know if a regular multi port usb hub would be OK with my little usb cords.
I'm not knowledgeable on amps/watts/etc.

I use the GS ego twist VV batteries, 2200 mah.

Thanks for any assistance.

Becky

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi, I'm under a year vaping, and am enjoying the simple MTL pens.
I have lots of flavors in lots of tanks, and like to use different flavors frequently.
My problem is I'm always looking for plugs to charge my batteries.
I'd like to know if a regular multi port usb hub would be OK with my little usb cords.
I'm not knowledgeable on amps/watts/etc.

I use the GS ego twist VV batteries, 2200 mah.

Thanks for any assistance.

Becky
If you use a usb hub you’re going to want one with an external power supply. The usb In won’t provide enough power by itself. Totally wicked used to sell a 5 port ego battery charger. It’s been years though so it may no longer be available.

Here’s one
Ego / 510 5 Battery Multi-Charger

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So, if I understand, a hub that plugs into a wall (and not my pc) would work? Would I have to check for any current specifications.
I honestly don't know the answer to your question about a wall hub, but it's never a good idea to charge your batteries through a computer USB.

Lithium batteries have a real potential to flame or explode while charging. A wall wort is inexpensive to replace. A computer is expensive to replace. Additionally, USB ports on a computer vary greatly in the power output they provide.

BTW, love your avatar of a Scarlet McCaw. Back in the day I had a home-raised Blu Front Amazon that had a 30 word vocabulary. Parrots are extremely amusing, but carry a responsibility no different than raising children.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Something like this will work, Rebecca:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F2PWBQ...Ik&pd_rd_r=YGZDCNG11SGXF21R9F5T&pd_rd_w=wcuGC

Do check around, there are lots to choose from.

USB voltage is, by definition, 5 VDC. As long as the wall adapter has 500mA or MORE on each port, it will handle the eGo chargers just fine. I used a different (older) model with mine for a couple of years, until I moved to entirely removeable battery mods. Never a problem.

I agree with Bad - using the computer's USB port is a gamble. Should anything go badly wrong with the cheap eGo charger, your computer may be the price.... While that's a rare scenario, with my luck... nah, not going to risk my computer!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So, if I understand, a hub that plugs into a wall (and not my pc) would work? Would I have to check for any current specifications.

And, I've searched for that device you mention, no one sells it anymore. :(

Thanks for the quick reply
It can plug into your pc as well, though it’s not required. The wall wart is the critical bit though. Not sure about draw requirements, sorry. On the bright side if there isn’t as much juice as can be used the batteries will merely charge somewhat more slowly

Reactions: stols001

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
It can plug into your pc as well, though it’s not required. The wall wart is the critical bit though. Not sure about draw requirements, sorry. On the bright side if there isn’t as much juice as can be used the batteries will merely charge somewhat more slowly

Um... whatever charger is plugged into whatever source, the charger will try to access / draw the power it wants. In a well behaved system, if what is available isn't what the charger wants, it should be as you say, just take a long time to charge. But, if the system is NOT well behaved (and when you mix and match, that's a quite likely scenario...), the charger may cause the source to overheat. Too hot and it may flame on.

The source should ALWAYS be able to provide more power (or at least equal) than what's plugged in will request. eGo chargers are typically 1/2 amp, i.e. 500 mA. So, as long as the wall adapter can deliver AT LEAST that to each port, no problems. So, for example, a 4 port 2 amp charger that delivers 500 mA to each port would be ok. A wall adapter capable of delivering a higher current to each port provides a bit of flexibility (rapid charge for some mods, charging a tablet, etc.) and some future-proofing.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Um... whatever charger is plugged into whatever source, the charger will try to access / draw the power it wants. In a well behaved system, if what is available isn't what the charger wants, it should be as you say, just take a long time to charge. But, if the system is NOT well behaved (and when you mix and match, that's a quite likely scenario...), the charger may cause the source to overheat. Too hot and it may flame on.

The source should ALWAYS be able to provide more power (or at least equal) than what's plugged in will request. eGo chargers are typically 1/2 amp, i.e. 500 mA. So, as long as the wall adapter can deliver AT LEAST that to each port, no problems. So, for example, a 4 port 2 amp charger that delivers 500 mA to each port would be ok. A wall adapter capable of delivering a higher current to each port provides a bit of flexibility (rapid charge for some mods, charging a tablet, etc.) and some future-proofing.
    Fair enough. We’ll add “if the manufacturer is following the usb spec” to that then. My experience is generally they do but I can see some off brand try to shave their margin by building unsafe stuff.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    I would error on the side of caution. You may want to plug in one ego into one usb and check for undue heat and functionality the first 5 minutes to see if somethings amiss (undue heat/functionality of ego). After one ego test, I would plug in all egos and re test for another 5 minutes. Sheet of plywood on the garage cement floor would be smart. A fire in a home is not good for ECF membership.
    Might be a good idea to read:
    A Guide to Safe Charging - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread