Looking to kick the tobacco habit... again. Seeking advice on a simple, easy, but powerful setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
Hello, world!

It has been quite some time since I last vaped. It had worked out great at one time, and I quit analogs completely for a few months. However, I wound up falling back into this horrible habit again.

I originally had a Maxi RoughStack V2 with Cisco bridgeless atty's, and a Super T stainless steel drip tip. This setup was rugged, simple, and the dripping gave me decent toots. The device was simple to use, easy to clean, and with a bottle in my pocket I could go all day without worry.

More recently, I had tried a bottom-feeder mod - the VMod XL with an HH.357 - but never once had more than a couple toots which ever felt satisfactory to me. I don't know if it was due to some aspect of my setup, or I just never caught on to the learning curve. In the end, I had no problem tossing it in the trash can.

Now I'm looking to try and get back into vaping again. I am hoping to find a PV setup which will allow me to have the same straight-forward vaping pleasure I got from my simple Maxi RS. I am smoking very strong analogs at this time, so I would need something which can deliver *hefty* toots to be a serious contender.I have made some key notes here, to try and narrow my search.

- Function over form. 100%
- Ease of use / cleaning is pretty paramount
- No wasted money if it will not improve vaping satisfaction in some notable way
- Preference for 18650 batteries, as I have some laying around for other uses
- Flavor is king
- Warm / hot throat hit is welcomed
- Billowing clouds of vapor make life more fun

I have come across a few ideas, but am unsure if there is something which would perform better for what I am looking for. I have considered getting a vv APV (e.g. SmokTech SID), as it seems to be simple to use, but would still allow me to change voltage and check the resistance on the coil. All without a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles or a large overhead in cost. I am not likely to play with these settings every day, but it would allow me to adjust it to my preference when I choose to do so.

I was also thinking of just getting some dripping atty's again, and going that route. However, I have been hearing a lot more positive things for clearo's, tanks, etc. and it had piqued my interest. I know these would detract from simplicity, but I am curious if they may be able to deliver larger, harsher hits I am looking for. This also raised a couple questions:

1) Is there anything out there which can deliver a better throat hit and massive toots than direct dripping?

2) If I do go with a vv mod instead of a mechanical 3.7v mod, would there be any perceptable differences between using a low resistance atty at a low voltage, versus a high resistance atty at high voltage?

Any other suggestions or advice would be greatly welcomed! I am still very much open to ideas and am still shopping around at this point.

Thank you all!

- Woody

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My first thought would be for you to go to a e-cig vapor store where you can view, have demonstrations, and perhaps even try out the gear in person. I see you are in Chicago. Here's a forum for Windy City Vapors that will have some suggestions of B&M shops that you could visit. Windy City Vaping

Google is your friend:

Chicago E Cigs and E Liquid store- Smoque Vapor Shop- Electronic Cigarettes

https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=off&ie=UTF-8&q=e+cig+stores+chicago&fb=1&gl=us&hq=e+cig+stores&hnear=0x880e2c3cd0f4cbed:0xafe0a6ad09c0c000,Chicago,+IL&ei=pPHiUeeVMPji4APvz4G4AQ&ved=0CM8BELYD

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
Baditude,

Appreciate the quick reply.

I've bookmarked that site. Next time I'm in the city, I will have to check them out. However, I'm technically in the burbs, and between bike and train it would take nearly 2 hours for me to make it down there. :( I've had checked around here in the past, and it's hard to even find a tobacco store, let alone a vape shop.

Thanks!

Woody

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
Where at in the suburbs? Cigtechs is in Hanover Park and quitters is in Burbank. Both are pretty good shops to visit.

NW Burbs, near O'Hare. Cigtechs is getting closer, but still about an hour away. I've bookmarked both of these places for more local haunts that I may check out one of these days.

Thanks!

Woody

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
I would go with the SID or Vamo V3 or Itaste SVD to meet your criteria.

RBA/RDA are affordable these days (rebuildable atomizers) and give you the best bang for your buck. IGOs and ERA clones are under $20, deliver outstanding vapor, TH and flavor and are fairly easy to rebuild.

Can't speak of cartotanks, since I haven't used them. Iclear30s are top dual coil that deliver great vapor, TH and flavor, but not as much as an atomizer. All the other popular ones are Bottom Coil, cooler vapes (Protank, Puritank, Vision Victory BCC).

Welcome back to Vaping, and to ECF.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Well, if visiting a B&M in the near future is not an option, to meet your criteria listed I would suggest an inexpensive 18650 battery powered mechanical mod clone. Others more familiar with this category can suggest some options. I keep reading about the K-100 being an inexpensive mech clone. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/442572-mechanical-mods.html

A rebuildable drip atomizer (RDA) or rebuildable atomizer tank (RBA) will give about as much vapor as you could want. Examples such as an iGo, Smoktech SST, or AGA-t2 which are inexpensive clones that are popular and have gotten decent reviews. These are not out-of-the-box easy devices to use and require some self-education and some do-it-yourself skills. You will need to have and know how to use a multimeter to test your coils and high quality batteries. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/4454-7-advice-tips-vapors-looking-try-their-first-rba.html

I've been using a VMOD-XL for a couple of months now and really like it. I'm somewhat surprised your experience was not as good.

I use cartotanks primarily on several types of V-V mods, mostly a couple of Provari's. I also have two AGA-T2's.

Last edited:

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
Here are some mods and favorite juices next to me at the moment. The key to salvation lays with the juice, my friend. Once you discover your "brand" as it were, the rest is cake. Assuming you're a fan of an all-day-vape, you should always keep your eyes open for others, I call them SDV Second day vapes in the event, god forbid, you grow tired of the same taste. It has happened to my closest friends and that is why I attend meetings for my bobaholicsm. I've said to much.

RHP

Last edited:

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
For the cost of a pizza more than a VAMO you can get an iTaste SVD which blows 'varis and vamos out of the water inregards to battery configurations through their telescoping tube. Like 1 18350, 1 18490, 1 18650, OR 2 18350's stacked! (All AW IMR, of course) Plus it's VW too, if that's your thing.

And it even has ego threading, for the girls :lol:

RHP

ETA: Full disclosure. Despite what innokin's iTaste SVD brings to the table, if I had a choice between an svd or a Provari, I'd go with the Provari because simply put, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE and support after the sale in the best the industry, hands down. Not to mention, 'varis like Reos, have been around the block 'n are time-tested, even developing a cult-like following.

Last edited:

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
Redhat,

Thanks for all the info. I watched the RDA vid you posted, and it seems fairly straightforward enough to rebuild it. How often would you have to rebuild one of these? Are they pretty similar as far as rebuilds go to the lifespan of a typical dripping atty (e.g. Cisco / SmartVapes, etc.)?

Many moons ago, I found what I consider to be a very comfortable shop whose flavor is right in line with my tastes - Backwoods Brew. They have a couple that are definitely all day vapes, and others that I liked throwing in the mix from time to time. I also had a high nic level espresso I'd just vape in the morning. The flavors are outstanding, and there were more than enough to keep me from getting bored with the same ole thing. Side bonus: I have a hell of a sweet tooth, and some of the caramelized or sweeter flavors allowed me to satisfy that without added calories :D

Also, I see you have the MVP and the SVD there on the table. How do you like these? I had come across a review online where the person mentioned the SVD's threads had really loose tolerances, and when he showed how loose it was, it dropped my level of interest a bit. The MVP seems like a cool gadget, but I seem to have a preference for something with a replaceable battery. If I find myself away from the "civilized world" for an extended period of time, I could just bring an extra battery if it's needed. It's ability to charge other USB devices, and the fact it's at least got a vv ability are bonuses to me though.

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
If you want a $40 powerbank (those are devices that charge things like your phone) that happens to vape, then an MVP is a nice addition (another way of saying toy/gadget) to your collection but I wouldn't recommend it as just a vaping device because of what little else it does.

The SVD, again I bought it used from the classys for $65, was my first official VW mod. It has impressed me. Or better put, it hasn't let me down yet. The threading could use some noalax and the screen is made for a left handed user but those are little quirks we all find.

Now about the mini rda, the wick 'n coils will gunk up like everything else depending how thick 'n complex your juices are. But I've gotten a whole week (and probably more) off the same coil before flavor drops off or resistence increases. The reason I say probably more is because you're still dripping! Which is the best way to vape. So even though you can clean a coil between juices, you'll more likely just build a fresh coil 'n use a new wick!

So the answeris, atleast with the preassembled ones, the coils should last you the same or more than a standard atomizer, even cisco spec stuff. Infact the hh.357 hybrids next to me right now (with a shorty drip tip) and all it really does above the rest is holds a drop or two more juice. But it's still a fine atty, I have 2 of them. I just can't use bobas on them.

BWB is great too, I have friends that SWEAR by Malty Toffee but like you I'm leaning more towards higher nic coffee flavors in the mornings and to put in my eRoll. I love my eRoll, folks. My first vape was off a Blu from a gas station. Imagine if you could relive that experience but this time it came loaded with BB (Bobas Bounty) or 30mg BFC (Ms. T's Banana Fosters Coffee without Cream) or any of your favorite flavor eLiquid instead of what comespre-filled from Njoy or Blu, at a fraction of the price.

RHP

bikerbeagle

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Wichita, KS USA
I originally had a Maxi RoughStack V2 with Cisco bridgeless atty's, and a Super T stainless steel drip tip. This setup was rugged, simple, and the dripping gave me decent toots. The device was simple to use, easy to clean, and with a bottle in my pocket I could go all day without worry.
I would say that, if you aren't directly (or indirectly) blaming your equipment as the reason you fell off the wagon in the first place, my advice is to go with what you already know. If you were satisfied with that setup before, you shouldn't be disappointed with it now.

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
I would say that, if you aren't directly (or indirectly) blaming your equipment as the reason you fell off the wagon in the first place, my advice is to go with what you already know. If you were satisfied with that setup before, you shouldn't be disappointed with it now.

That was my original idea. However, I wanted to see what else was out there now that a couple years have passed. I am still very happy with the way the RS treated me, but am also looking to see if there's something out there which may provide me with a stronger vape than a low res atty at 3.7v. Even if I wind up going with another low res atty on a 3.7v battery, the other mods available now would allow me to have variable voltage / wattage, monitor resistance levels, and other features for the same price range as the Maxi RS.

So far, the SID, Vamo, and the SVD sound like great options. I may have a hard time deciding between them :(

Woody

Last edited:

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
I've had two Vamo's and had problems with both although most people have good luck with them. The SID would be my choice although I don't have one yet. I find the ridge of the Telescope mods like the SVD to be uncomfortable but plenty of people like them. I don't have a SVD but do have a Telescopic mechanical. The only way I like them is screwed all the way down with 18350 battery and I prefer the longer lasting 18650 battery. I prefer the Kanger ProTank with my mods but the dual coil I-30 is good if you like a hotter vape.
Congratulations on your decision to return to vaping and good luck! The life you save may be your own!:)

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
Deem me a fanboy. But I started with the ego passthrough battery joyetech. Then form there I got the egoc twists joyetech.
My only gripe was there was no battery level indicator like on the passthroughs.
Which led me on a chase, I ordered the egov v-v2 then on a whim the itaste svd it was nice.
Then reading asking people's opinions and reading here. I bought a Provari Mini v2.5 and I couldn't be happier.
I am finding at least for me with the protank the low resistance atomizers may give it the best performance.
I'm done in my search. The t3s clearos with the low resistance attys sweet.

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
I think I'm starting to lean more towards the SID at this time, and going with a couple Cisco atties and possibly the iClear 30.

I'm familiar with the Cisco's, so I feel they would be more comfortable for me to try and get back into vaping again. If nothing else, they can at least serve as backups in case I need a good reliable delivery device to slap on the mod. As bikerbeagle brought up, these did serve me well in the past, and it would stand to reason that they would do so now. Popping them onto a vv / vw mod would only allow me to better utilize them to fit my tastes.

The RDA looks like a great hitter for the price, but may be a bit too finicky as far as just being able to grab something and go. There's times where I can be a bit ham-fisted, and needing to rebuild an atty or ensure the wicks are in proper shape may be a bit much to start off with right off the bat. I am very interested in these though, and if I do stick with vaping for the long haul, I will definitely be reading more into RDA's, and trying it out.

The iClear 30 seems pretty straight-forward for a device which will allow me to easily vape while on the go. I hadn't thought about this previously, but it certainly has it's attractions. From what I've seen, it seems like a simple fill / fill / fill / clean kind of setup, and would allow me to have a good amount of my favorite all-day juice on hand. I would always have the Cisco's nearby for when I want to quickly transition to a different flavor, or just enjoy my morning "cup of espresso". The fact that it has top dual coils only strengthens my interest, as it *should* be able to provide a satisfactory vape, while also providing me ease of use. If it turns out to be crap, I've only spent $15, and I'll have no hesitation popping a Cisco atty in it's place.

Woody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread