Losing flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BikerBob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
VA
I've found for a given juice, the type of atty used will change its flavor characteristics. Sometimes the difference will be subtle, other times it will be very substantial. Guesses as to why: one atty has its wick pinched a little tighter by the coil than the other one, slightly different type of wick which affects how well it wicks, what radius the wick is bent, etc.

Example:
Liquid 1, tastes very strong in atty with cotton wick, and just OK in a carto. Tastes flavorless in my CE4 clearos.
Liquid 2, tastes ok with cotton, silica, or carto, but I like is best in a genisis with Stainless steel mesh wick.
Liquid 3, tastes bad in the genisis, ok with cotton wick, great with silica wick or cartos.
Liquid 4, tastes about the same all round, so I use whichever atty I have clean (currently an IGo-L dripper)

One size does not fit all, tastes are subjective, your mileage may vary.

dmanindfw

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
DFW, TX
Give the protank wick a day to start wicking better. My experience with the PT is that when the coil head is brand new it doesn't wick that great and I occassionally get an off taste. I think they may coat the wick with something to keep it together when they assemble them. I notice after 1/2 to 1 day the flavor starts revealing itself more. Other things I experience with the PT is that when it is full with juice up to the top of the glass tank, it doesn't wick that great and I get some weird tastes some time. As the juice level drops a bit I get much more flavor...just don't let the juice get too low in the PT or it will start gurgling and start leaking. The PT can be a little fiddlly trying to get the best flavor...which is why my main delivery device is a larger VVV carto tank. Holds much more juice, not finicky about juice level, no dry hits (when you use a decent carto), and you don't have to remove the damn thing to fill it. Seems like the sweet spot for juice level in the PT is the middle 1/3...too full not enough flavor, too low and gurgling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread