Lost my rebuilding virginity today (Vivi Nova)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyBulldogge

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2013
Kalundborg, Denmark
First off, if this is supposed to be in the Rebuildable Atomizer Systems sub forum, I do apologize. But since the Vivi Nova is not a true rebuildable, I hope my assumption that it goes here, is correct :)

Anywho, I received my "beginners kit" today: 5 metres of 1mm silica wick and 25 metres of Kanthal D 0.20mm (AWG 32) and in about 10 minutes, I had my first Vivi Nova coil rebuilt :D
Of course the first one wasn't that good - I wrapped the coil directly on the wick, with no paperclip or anything, using 3 wicks and 5 turns of wire - got about 2 Ohms, but way too tight, so didn't work too well. But still, it worked!
Made one with 4 wicks and 6 turns of wire, wrapped around the wicks plus a paperclip and wow was there a world of difference in flavor. And got 2.3 Ohms as well, good times :)
The "new coil" flavor was gone within a few hours, must've been the silica, as I had heated the Kanthal, as the videos say. So made 2 more when I got home from work, both at about 2.3-2.4 Ohms as well, this time I heated the silica with the blue part of the flame from my lighter, so excited to see if they'll "break in" even faster. And also to see, if they'll last as long as the ones you buy.

This is great fun to do! Of course I look forward to getting better at it, but still, an absolute rookie building his first coil in about 10 minutes, that says something about how easy this is. And no short-circuits either, which is what I had feared most, since I'm not really a DIY kind of guy...

Thank you for reading about how I lost my rebuilding virginity, just wanted to share my experience with you all :)

LazyBulldogge

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2013
Kalundborg, Denmark
@Dj tank: Not really no, just take a few minutes to watch some of the YouTube videos to get an idea of how to do it, and take a few seconds to watch how everything is put together, when you take the old coil apart. If you have a multimeter handy, that'll make life a lot easier for you, as you can check if the coil is good to go, without even putting it back on the Nova.

@MaDeuce: Are we still talking about coils here? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread