Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
I too am looking for a teardown video...so I can swap in a dna 200 board :)

As for the LED, that's configurable in eScribe!

Yeah, already got the LED sorted. It pulses now just like the Macbook on sleep mode.

He is stating he wants the whole display to have a red tint.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yup. Hence I'm looking for a teardown video. But I've been staring at it... I might get bored enough one weekend and take it apart myself. It shouldn't be too difficult. Those 4 allen screws on the sides would look good in red to match a red screen. Hehehehehe!

Infinite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
SF Bay Area, Sacramento CA
Dna75 and 200 are same size, not sure if board buttons are in same place but it looks like they r
They are not the same size, however the 5mm difference is at the bottom and the Therion case "appears" to be able to accommodate the diff. The button layout is exactly the same...this why you can buy DIY boxes labeled DNA75/200. The cutouts are the same.

I removed every last screw and 510 from my Therion and the thing is rock solid! This is great, but it is also unfortunate because getting to the internals seem near impossible without ruining the beauty of the mod.

I've now grown to love the dna 75 chip for what it does, but I still have that nagging feeling that it would be so much better with a DNA 200 board. I have a donor DX200 that would be fantastic with a DNA 75 and single 18650 conversion. That mod is easily disassembled, just got to get into the Therion, without ruining it. I sure wish DLJSB (Daniel) would do one of his famous tear downs!!

Maybe he hasn't because this thing is built like a tank and not really designed to be torn down. I sense a lot of glue is at place. Woodworkers use screws just to provide stability till glue dries...I feel like LV did the same here with the Therion.

Sent from a random device, most likely a LG V10

Reactions: OhTheAgony

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
I removed every last screw and 510 from my Therion and the thing is rock solid! This is great, but it is also unfortunate because getting to the internals seem near impossible without ruining the beauty of the mod.

Even the battery sled is glued down? Do you have a hot air gun? A lot of these glues are thermal activated.

Reactions: Infinite

Infinite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
Even the battery sled is glued down? Do you have a hot air gun? A lot of these glues are thermal activated.
I have not used an air gun yet...but yes, the sled is either glued or locked into place with friction tabs. If you look at the sled, you will see where there appears to be tabs. However look more closely and you will see that that the battery terminals(positive) up top are wedged between metal. You can't just "slide" it out when screws removed :)

Now, one you have the 510 removed, you can see how it may be possible to push down from the top to release them....way too risky for me at this point. But would love more eyes on this situation from anyone interested.

Infinite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
I'll try to find some time and do it. Maybe another week.

P/S I'm using an LG G4, btw.
That would be awesome. No rush on my end. Note, the 510 connector uses a smal Torx screw. I think #4, but not sure. It's tiny!

Nice, the G4 is a great phone for its form factor. I like big ... phones :)

Infinite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
I'd have liked to see one of these with a dna200 and a lipo.

I've already got a dna75 and it's a great performing chip but I don't like being limited to building below .5 with SS.
I disagree with Lipo...18650 provides me with the long run time/ flexibility that I value most. I only like Lipo mods with Huge capacity batts. They would only be able to squeeze a 900mah into the Therion.... That's worse than a single 18650 :) no thanks

What's this limit of below .5 ohm you speak of? If you are referencing TC, you would want to be that low (in range) with any wire .3-5 for the best accuracy. You would not build a 1.5 TC coil. Great thing about SS is that it can do both. I run a .2 usually and switch between TC/Pwr on the Therion without issue.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
I think how one vapes makes a difference. I use single 18650 with DNA75's and 900 mah Li-Po packs with my DNA200's and make it thru the day just fine. Others need more battery than me so I understand them liking bigger batteries, dual batteries, and etc. In fact, the way I vape, I get a bit more life with the 900 mah pack than with the 18650 with my DNA's.

Topweasel

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2016
I think how one vapes makes a difference. I use single 18650 with DNA75's and 900 mah Li-Po packs with my DNA200's and make it thru the day just fine. Others need more battery than me so I understand them liking bigger batteries, dual batteries, and etc. In fact, the way I vape, I get a bit more life with the 900 mah pack than with the 18650 with my DNA's.
Well that Lipo 900 has the energy of a 2700Mah 18650 and can be drained lower before it struggles and on a DNA 200 has a 97% efficiency compared to I think 87% on the DNA 75. So Even compared to an HG2 on a low power setting it should probably last a bit longer.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Well that Lipo 900 has the energy of a 2700Mah 18650 and can be drained lower before it struggles and on a DNA 200 has a 97% efficiency compared to I think 87% on the DNA 75. So Even compared to an HG2 on a low power setting it should probably last a bit longer.

Yep... your assessment is correct I think.... I've been using Li-Po's in DNA's I modded for years beginning with the DNA20..... I'm considering modding a 75 with parallel Li-Po's and am going to build a 60 with Li-Po's.... :)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
What's this limit of below .5 ohm you speak of? If you are referencing TC, you would want to be that low (in range) with any wire .3-5 for the best accuracy. You would not build a 1.5 TC coil. Great thing about SS is that it can do both. I run a .2 usually and switch between TC/Pwr on the Therion without issue.

The DNA 75 has a 6v limit. That means that you need a coil at .5Ω or lower to get the full 75w. For tc accuracy higher is better.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Infinite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
The DNA 75 has a 6v limit. That means that you need a coil at .5Ω or lower to get the full 75w. For tc accuracy higher is better.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
Aha, thanks for clarifying. The DNA75 is actually rated 6.2v but yes, that does mean that you have to sub ohm to reach full.

To be honest, I've never really considered trying to max out wattage as I like to run devices with headroom. If I needed 75W, I would not get a 75W device per se. My DNA 200 are equipped for high power and provide headroom to reliably produce it.

The 75 however is a different beast aimed at a bit more subtlety...I run my 75 at around 50-55W...any higher, you start to hit the ceiling of heat dissipation from the chip (it's not as efficient as the 200-heat) the enemy to electronics.

Anyhow, I said all of that to agree with you that if you intend to run the DNA 75 at 75, 70 or even 65W... You will probably be disappointed:). It's not really designed for that. That would be the equivalent of running a 100w device at full power...would be better in that case to get a 150 device and run 100W.

Devlinukr

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2015
I disagree with Lipo...18650 provides me with the long run time/ flexibility that I value most. I only like Lipo mods with Huge capacity batts. They would only be able to squeeze a 900mah into the Therion.... That's worse than a single 18650 :) no thanks

I pretty much only use SS coils nowadays and it's surprising how few wraps will take you over .5.

Reactions: Infinite

Infinite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
I pretty much only use SS coils nowadays and it's surprising how few wraps will take you over .5.
Me too, however I find it hard to get to .3 I also use 24G though. Oh, I pretty much always use dual coil configurations. With 8 wraps I barely get above .23.

Reactions: Eskie

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
I'm not a coil builder and ran across these SS coils.... heat up quickly and re-wick easily..

From spec's:
  • Inner diameter 4.8mm
  • 0.23ohm
  • Non-resistance +/- Leads
  • Very fast ramp up time

Not touting the vendor but here is the coil... scroll thru the pictures to see what ya think... I run them at 25 watts and 425F with 60 watts preheat on a DNA75 or DNA200. Works for me...

Wismec NotchCoil Pack of 5 for Rebuildable RBA and RTA

Screenshot of coil in use via EScribe Device Monitor on a DNA200... note smooth temp line...

upload_2016-8-11_18-32-28.png

smokinGAVIN

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2014
Manila, Philippines
Update on the torn battery wraps. I went to the vape shop where I bought my Therion and showed him the problem. He explained to me that the Therion reverse polarity protection is manual. There is a lip around the positive button so if the batteries are inserted the wrong way the negative part of the battery there will be no contact. As he inspected my Therion, he noticed that the lip on my therion had a defect. There was extra plastic and it was sharp. Since it was a factory defect, he replaced mine with a new one and now I have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread