Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
image.jpg
So I wound up with one of each of these, and while I’m not happy about impulse purchasing two nearly identical vapes I can at least compare them, so here goes:

The lost vape is both bigger and heavier. It’s got a metal frame (zinc) which is generally considered to be stronger than plastic but not as strong as steel or aluminum. It’s shell is plastic. Supposed to be “ultem” which is supposed to be a superior material. (According to @Punk In Drublic its lexan) I hope it is, because the plastic is a lot thinner than the stuff on the VTX. 3fvape reports the VTX as being polycarbonate and stainless steel. There doesn’t seem to be a whale of a lot of stainless. They may be referring only to the atomizer deck.

Which one is more durable long term is not something I know.

Both mods are at least mostly plastic. The VTX is practically all plastic though. Again, It may or may not matter durability wise. The VTX has plastic button covers rather than metal, but the actual buttons are part of the board. The board will die before the button covers do in either case.

What probably will matter is the Drone has magnets holding the battery cover on whereas the VTX has plastic clasps. Magnets are likely at least to last longer though I’m not totally sure.
The VTX battery cover is easier to remove though. Not especially easy, but the drones is quite difficult, at least for me. It flexes a lot more than the VTX battery cover and the provided indentations in the middle cause me to press in on the covers sides impeding smooth removal. It’s also got only two magnets. Both at the top. We’ll see which one actually stays on better.

UPDATE: it’s the VTX. The drone’s cover tends to pop off at the bottom when you squonk it.

Here’s a big one: NEITHER ONE has a protective shield over the screen(!) you’re equally as likely to break the screen on either device.
The VTX may actually be marginally better in this regard because it’s screen bezel has slightly thicker sides and there is a bevel where a screen cover at least might be able to be placed.

I personally prefer the location of the squonk port of the VTX over the drone. That’s totally personal preference though. You might find you have the opposite opinion.

Clear advantages I see in the Drone:
- it comes with two squonk bottles that have thicker silicone, larger capacity, and better machining on the threads.
-It’s battery compartment is better layed out and furnished. There is a ribbon for battery removal (which the VTX200 really kind of needs) and the battery contacts have more movement in them making battery removal and replacement easier.

Clear advantages I see in the VTX200:
-It’s cheaper by a widely variable margin. I’ve seen the VTX200 go for as little as $95 on promotional sale to ~$120. I got my Drone for $140, but I saw a $199 price when shopping.
- it’s smaller and lighter. Jury is out on durability atm.

Which vapes better? Hard to say. They both have the same chip so they should vape identically.

Which will last longer? I have no idea. It looks like a fairly tight race. lost vape has a been around longer as a company. That may or may not mean much though.

I do happen to prefer the VTX in my hand, but I also prefer the battery compartment of the Drone.

You get a bit more with the drone both in accessories and size, but you also pay a bit more too. Sometimes a lot more.
From what I can tell from here it’s pretty close to a wash, though that may change when I get my screen replacement in and look at putting a screen cover on the VTX. If that turns out to be quick, easy, and effective the deciding factor for me may turn out to be the bevel in the plastic around the VTX screen. Really both of these devices should have a cover over their screens and neither does.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TheTinMan

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Congratulations on the new Drone. The plastic was never suppose to be Ultem – it was originally a Polycarbonate but LV found QC issues with it cracking and flexing so they changed to Lexan, hence such a long delay releasing it.
They’ve still got flexing issues. That plastic is really thin. Lexan, huh? I swear I saw an ultem claim at one point. Oh well. Good to know.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Given the amber colour choice I think many made the same mistake. @diagrammatiks contacted LV about the Ultem and they confirmed the Polycarbonate. There were reviews by Mike Vapes and Todd, both displayed cracks in the battery cover, although Todd admitted to dropping it. Someone else posted a noticed from Lost Vape claiming delays with production due to the material change to Lexan – can’t recall who.

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
Omg the vtx is tiny. I really want one.

The only dna devices I know of with a screen protector is the thinkvape finder and the lv mirage.

The door flex finally got too annoying and I just slapped the old door on mine. Much heavier but much more solid.

I think they only got the door like 80 percent of the way right on this revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread