Loving JC Red Oak Tennessee Cured but it's hard on atomizer heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
I've been loving Johnson Creek Red Oak Tennessee cured but I've also noticed as others have that it really gums up the atomizer heads pretty quickly.

Since they sell this same flavor in a PG version and the Red Oak VG version, I've been thinking of blending the PG and VG Tennessee cured juices to see if I can get longer life out of my atomizer heads while keeping the flavor.

I don't see why this wouldn't work, since it seems like there's a lot of variation in PG/VG blend proportions. What's not clear is whether the PG Tennessee cured is 100% PG or a PG/VG blend already. I figure I'd start with 50-50 and see what I'd get out of it. I'm also tempted to blend the PG JC Original with the Tennessee Cured Red Oak since I already have those two flavors on hand and they seem like they would be complementary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
Won't hurt to try.....
Tennessee Cured was one of my very first juices...and I still vape it often....
You're right, though.....most ANY 100% VG based juice will gunk up heads faster than straight PG or a PG/VG mix...it's just the "nature of the beast"....!!:D
Good Luck!
Happy (vaping) Trails!

Yeah, it's kind of a drag (not to make a pun). The heads aren't that expensive, but I don't know that I'd see more than 4-5 days (or about 1.5 EVOD clearomizer "fills") without the heads becoming useless.

Tennessee Cured seems to be worse than Swiss Dark (another JC straight VG flavor) -- the clearo I have filled with that seems to not suffer as quickly as the TC one does. I put a fresh head on that one Saturday and the wicks are really dark already although vapor production and flavor are still decent.

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
The thick/dark juices really do a number on gunking coils.....
I love Cuban Coffee from Hurricane Vapor....but I have to clean a new coil after 2 or 3 days use...
This, after replacing the silica flavor wicks with 2 strands of sterile cotton yarn....
Guess I'll live with the inconvenience....and just enjoy the GREAT TASTING VAPE!!!:D

dimo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I've always considered JC Red Oak Tennessee Cured a high maintenance vape. After 1-2 tanks the coil is covered in thick black gunk and needs a major cleaning. I tried the PG version and didn't taste quite the same.

As far as mixing the two together, can't hurt to try. Start with a 50/50 mix and adjust from there.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
I swapped in a new coil Saturday in my RO-TC EVOD clearo and by yesterday afternoon it was losing vapor volume and I could taste the favor start to shift. The clearo was roughly half full, so I topped it off with JC Original, which is a PG based liquid.

It's too early to give any conclusions, but I noticed a couple of things pretty much right away -- vapor "density" seems slightly diminished, throat hit is a little stronger and overall taste is less sweet.

The interesting thing will be if the head (and I think specifically the wicks) don't clog as quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread