Loving my new e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I see what you mean. The place where I order (South Beach Smoke) assigned me a personal customer rep and I've now placed 6 orders through him. They even sent me a replacement pack of cartridges because two of the ones in a previous pack were duds, so I really trust that they won't rip me off. He will contact me before they send any more product out to me or I will contact him if it looks like I'm going to run out before the 6 months.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
+1 Panorama!

Cindi, "dripping" is an alternative method of delivering the juice to the heating element that vaporizes it. The "tank" is a reservoir that holds a "substantial" (1 mL - 5 or 6 mL) amount of liquid that is "wicked" (cotton or silica or some people use hemp or wool yarn) to draw the juice from the tank to the heating coil. The "dripping" hardware doesn't have a tank that holds any liquid - you simply have to squirt liquid directly onto the wicking material (pretty regularly, as it gets vaporized relatively quickly each time the device is used.)

Basic liquid delivery formats include pre-filled cartridges (like what you are using) - these typically have pre-saturated filler material that makes contact with the internal coil (heating element); tanks (or sometimes called clearomizers) which hold a volume of liquid like I describe above; and "drippers", which in my feeble-minded opinion I liken to the cartridges except that you can use a more powerful battery to completely alter your vaping experience. The philosophy of the dripper still has the heating element (coil) and "filler" material, but you "drip" additional liquid onto the material more regularly because you're vaporizing it much more quickly than with a normal cartridge.

(More experienced users will probably crucify me for this analogy, but this is how it makes sense in my head.....)

So, after all my babbling.... welcome to the forums :)

zmbgzus

May 12, 2014
USA
Aren't you afraid to get the juice all over yourself? I'm afraid to have loose juice in the house with the children after news reports that so many got into the juice and had to be rushed to the ER.

I diy @ home with a 5 & 6 yr old around. RESPONSIBLE parents will keep any ejuice with nicotine away from their kids. As with any other chemical, caution and common sense have to be applied. Alas, common sense isn't "common" it's taught. Non nic ejuice will do nothing more than potentially an upset stomach. It's not toxic. My kids understand that my lab equipment is not to be touched and they leave it be. My 6 yr old asks questions, learns, and is further educated. The risks, if any, are no greater with ejuice, than with any other household chemical. How many kids go to the ER for ingesting bleach etc every year?!

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
Aren't you afraid to get the juice all over yourself? I'm afraid to have loose juice in the house with the children after news reports that so many got into the juice and had to be rushed to the ER.

First rule of vaping: Don't trust the media, the FDA, or 98% of any one in the government and about vaping. They are almost always clueless (willfully or not) or bought off. It sounds paranoid I know, but search around here and you'll see most agree with that statement.

Now your kids is a valid concern as their little bodies can't handle as much nicotine as ours can AND nicotine in a high dose (which is relative to body weight) can certainly be toxic. I think the best way to handle that depends a lot on their age. Best idea I have off the top of my head, mind you I don't have kids yet, would be a small lock box. Walmart sells them for like 10-20 bucks I think. Place the box in your dresser or somewhere challenging for them to get to and toss the key on your key ring. Give you a semi safe place for all your stuff you're not using. As far as getting juice on yourself It happens often and isn't a big deal to me. Wash my hands and move on. My dad had unscrewed a tank incorrectly (he was learning) and dumped about 4ml of juice onto his chest which is a good bit. He was ...... because it was the last of his fav and waiting on more of that flavor in the mail BUT he was perfectly fine. Swing by a few shops and talk to them a bit, at the very least it will be interesting to see some of the toys out there.

That does explain it a lot...thank you Dinger. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't want to have loose juice around the house with the children around. I am proud of myself on not lighting up since Monday. (Yayyyyy me!)

If I can ask you another "how to"...how do you get your countdown to stay on every post? I tried adding the HTML tag to one post but it won't stay there.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows

I have dribbled a bit of juice on myself, but I get it wiped off fairly quickly. If you have loose juice and children (or pets), treat it like you should treat ammunition and firearms - kept in a non-accessible location (i.e. under lock and key). Also depends on the nicotine concentration and volume of liquid - I wouldn't be as concerned about a few mL of low nicotine juices (<6mg nicotine). If you're talking a bottle of nicotine that you might use to DIY your juices - THAT's certainly something to be VERY concerned about, as it hasn't been diluted with the other components (which in large quantities, can still be dangerous)

:edit: re: your reply above, CONGRATS on not lighting up since Monday! as far as the "countdown", I'm a wee-bit rusty, but I think you need to take the banner URL and paste it into your profile. I just re-read that you need at least 15 posts (and wait until 20-25 after each hour when the forum refreshes.) Then, you can access "Settings" in the upper right of your screen. Under "My Settings" you will be able to "Edit Signature" Paste the URL into this, and I think that will hook you up

Last edited:

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
That does explain it a lot...thank you Dinger. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't want to have loose juice around the house with the children around. I am proud of myself on not lighting up since Monday. (Yayyyyy me!)

If I can ask you another "how to"...how do you get your countdown to stay on every post? I tried adding the HTML tag to one post but it won't stay there.

Hi Cyndi, and welcome to the forum. Glad you are having success with your e cigs and keep it up! Different things work for different people, and you will surely get a lot of different opinions here. Everyone means well, and just want to tell you about what works for them.

About the quit smoking banner, you need to have at least 15 posts and then you go up top to the settings button, click, and it will take you to the place on the left hand side where you can add your banner permanently.

If you see someone's banner that you like, you can click on it, and it will take you to a page to create one like it for yourself.

Again, welcome, and congrats on not smoking! It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it?:)

Zmbgzus,
I am totally responsible, but my boys are 10 and 12 and they know not to go snooping through my stuff and I know to keep things that I don't want the little ones (2 year old, 1 year old twins) to get into well out of their reach but you can't keep your eyes on them all the time and they do get into things so I'd rather not even have yet another thing that would harm them in the house.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas

I think you need 15 posts for it to stick

sarvis

Apr 29, 2014
Cincinnati
For what it's worth, I've got mini-humans in the house also, and I just keep the juice away from them, same as I keep the beer away from them. I don't leave guns or sharp knives around either. ; )

Congrats, too! Welcome to your new vaping journey. The secret I learned is... it's even better than smoking. ; )

I'd like to thank all of you for helping me out. I've learned so much from all of you! I do love my "cig-a-likes" as you call them. I find that the vapor is akin to my beloved Newports that I put down over three days ago. Now the kids can hang out with me in my room in the evenings and watch Wheel of Fortune and try to beat me at solving the puzzles! I never let them in my room before because of the smoke (only room in the house where it's possible without the smoke getting into the rest of the house) but I don't have to worry about that anymore. Also, I can take a few puffs when I go to the ladies room at work! No more having to take a smoke break in the middle of the day; this is also important considering the weather we've had here in Philly. I agree that the government types are freaking out unnecessarily about vaping right now too.

Thanks again everyone!

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Hello,
I'm new to the site; just joined yesterday and I have no clue what most of you are talking about. I was recently introduced to e-cigs and am ordering batteries and self contained cartridges from South Beach Smoke. I am happy with these, as I used to smoke Newport cigarettes and my replacements taste basically the same for I'd say the first 120 or so puffs. I especially love the first puffs of a charged battery and brand new cartridge.

Does anyone else here just vape e-cigs are all you all on tanks? What exactly is a tank anyway? What's up with the talk about coils and cotton balls? Is it not considered vaping if you just like menthol e-cigs? I read something about "vape tongue" on here yesterday, is that going to happen to me?

Sorry about all the questions, but you all are way more advanced with this stuff than I am.

Thanks!

Don't worry, everybody was new once. :)

A tank is, well, what it sounds like. Like this for example: Innokin iClear 30 Dual Coil Tank Clearomizer.

It just holds more liquid than a "cartridge" (also often called "cartomizer"). A lot of folks find cartos to be insufficient in getting them 100% off smoking. So they move up to a bigger and more advanced system. Also, you can actually save a lot of money doing things like mixing your own liquids (which I do).

But it's vaping either way. If what you have is working for you, great. If you want to learn more and try other things, great. The important thing is that it keeps the cigs away.

Far as coils, all of these systems, at the most basic, do the same thing. There is a small heater coil that the battery heats up and the juice is vaporized and you inhale it. Your cartridges have coils too, they're built in. Tank style systems, you can replace the coil. My tanks run about $15 so I wouldn't want them to be disposable. ;) Some systems, you do your own coils and wicks and all. That's for the DIY set. They do so because they want to. Me, I don't wanna. Coils are tiny. Talk about eye strain. :)

There's a wide variety in the vape world.

"Vaper's tongue" happens to some in the early days. Nobody is sure why. You suddenly can't taste your juices. It goes away but it's annoying. Happened to me back when I was getting started. Just one day, no taste. Food, I could taste. My vapor? Nothing. It was weird. Lasted a little over a week and never happened again. Nobody knows what the deal is. But it's always temporary. And doesn't happen to everybody.

cbrite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I have small dogs (4 to 6 lb) so I take precautions for them with my juice. Obviously, I don't have to lock it up, but I am careful to clean up any drips/spills immediately. I was careful with nicotine gum, too--that they seemed to love vs being pretty uninterested in the juice.

I smoked the whole time my son was growing up and was more concerned that he would get his hands on the lighter than anything since he sure loved fires, LOL. But the media is hyping all this scary stuff now about e-juice and most of it is just nuts. I have it on my hands every time I fill a tank. Wash it off and keep on truckin'. I have swallowed e-juice, and granted I am not under 100 lb like a child, but no ill effects there, either. So do your own research and don't buy the hype. Keep your juice away from the kids and be thankful that you have found a way to put down the smokes. That is GOOD for your kiddos!!

joesquid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Chesapeake, Va
Cyndi,

I think your questions have been answered but I wanted to welcome you. I can definately identify with your first post. Took me a bit to figure out what the heck these folks were talking about. All these .....izers..... Didn't take too long to understand the lingo if you do enough reading on here and folks are happy to explain. A huge Congrats on quitting!!!!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I don't understand why you think home delivery is scary...the mailman drops a box off at the front door.

Sorry, I meant scary from a financial perspective. If I was to mail order 730 refills a year, it would cost me £1,500 or £2,900 with the brand mentioned already in this thread. As it is, I can use a tank for £365, maybe less.
Truth is, as I said, these products didn't fix my 15 a day smoking problem, but if you are smoke free, I take my hat off to you in admiration.

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
Hi and welcome! I'm glad the cig-a-likes are working for you! When I was first trying to quit I went to the cig-a-like but for me I could not get enough vapor and I gave myself a sore throat trying! Felt like I was trying to suck a watermelon through a straw. I knew their had to be something that gave more vapor. Then I discovered my vaporizer and I was so happy! The juices were half the price of the cartridges (I make my own juice now) and there were hundreds of flavors vs three or four that the cig-a-like offered. And with the vaporizer I could vape all day long on one battery. My 1600mah battery. And with the vaporizer I have variable voltage and can adjust the volts depending on my juices flavors to really bring out the taste of the juice. The day I got my vaporizer was the day I finally quit smoking for good. For me, that's what I needed. Everyone is different and I'm so glad the cig-a-like is working well for you. But if there comes a time when you want a little more just know there are many options available for you. The main thing is if you are happy and comfortable. For me, personally, the cig-a-like brought frustration and irritation so I needed something different. But if you are happy, that is the MOST important thing!! Again I would like to welcome you to the forum!! Also I wanted to say great job on quitting!! And congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread