Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I was hoping to fix it since I got it second hand
Heh. There’s a rule about second hand stuff: “whatever it is there is a reason the former owner didn’t want it”

I would suspect a bad connection over a bad chip. Quick and dirty fixes may be as simple as cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Well I rebuild mods as a hobby this thing just has me stumped
I agree with the others. Usually, the battery indicator runs off of current voltage supplied by the battery. So, if it's saying "low battery", that means it's not reading a 3.4 (depending on the chip) or higher voltage from the battery. Also, test it with a higher ohm coil... if your coil is too low an ohm, it might not be able to provide enough power.

The very first thing I would check, is the polarity of the batteries. Just make sure they're in right.

The second thing I would check, is what others suggested... Check the contacts of both the batteries, and the contacts that touch the battery in the mod itself. Make sure both batteries are connected securely.

The third thing may just be me, but I always test the 510 connector. Even on a reading like this, I would inspect and make sure everything is clean and junk free.

The fourth thing, would involve taking it apart. The first thing I would check is the positive connection (or the spring one). Make sure the springs are good. Next, do an ohms test along both the positive and negative connections. Check the ohms to make sure there's not a bad solder. I dunno how Chinese solder is, but I do prefer American soldiers.. they're tougher. :)

Lastly, it just may be a bad chip. Doing basic solder testing is about where my knowledge ends. When it comes to chips and resistors, I just don't know. I would do a manual physical inspection to make sure nothing's broken, or looks off. Once while inspecting a toy quadcopter that could never balance right... despite it having gyros. Instead of throwing it away, I took a physical look at the insides , and found a wire was very poorly soldered to a motor. When I tested it with the poor connection, the wire would get quite warm around the bad solder. I concluded and guessed right, that only a few strands were actually soldered, so just a quick touch of the soldering iron, and everything was fixed.

Well, hope that helps. it might give you a few things to look at.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well you sound like you know what your doing, but honestly, it's almost impossible to tell what it would be. Where did you get it "secondhand" and can you return it/do you have any sort of recourse as far as how you paid?

The Steampunk is TRULY inexpensive enough at this point that you may be better off buying new if you can do a return. I LOVE mine (the husband stole my backup but he also loves his).

Mine has been BOMBPROOF. I mean, I've dropped it, it was my practice mod for RTAs meaning I have leaked down through the 510 pin on numerous occasions. It just keeps on ticking.

You sound like you have way more electronics knowledge than me, so I will suggest that you clean it thoroughly inside and out, and kind of go from there.

It doesn't sound like your batteries are the issue. If it were me, I'd return it or at least get a refund (if you are able). If not, well, have at it.

I really only buy used mods ABOVE a certain price point and that I can ONLY get used. I really want my warranty and etc., and often (unless it's a supremely outdated mod which I don't think the steampunk IS at this point) people "selling" are selling "bricks" so caveat emptor and all that.

I hope you can resuscitate it, and if so, do report.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread