"Low load" errors when switched to silver plate post on RSST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResaJo

Apr 16, 2014
Toledo, OH, USA
Hello Fellow Vapers!

I'm new to the boards, tho I've been a lurker for several months, and more lately Ive been doing a LOT of reading and research about RBA builds, as I just got an RSST and am learning how to twist up coils for it.
I actually started my "ad-vape-ture" more than 1 1/2 years ago, knowing I loved my cigarettes but needed much less health risks, stink, ash mess, cost, etc., etc. I am proud to say I've been analog free from day one of starting vaping, YAAY Me!

I started with a Blackjack from 21st Century, moved up to larger battery w/Clearomizer tank (something like the E-Go I think) and finally a month ago I got a Protank ll and right away I learned about Ohms law & switched over to building my own micro coils (to save on cash). I researched the battery safety issues from folks going sub-ohm on units that were not made for it and Im not really interested in any major mods or going "cloud chasing".

I DO enjoy a nice flavorful vape that has a healthy cloud, though. The week before last I took the RBA plunge deeper and purchased an RSST, as recommended by my vape shop. They immediately had me drill out the air vent so I didn't get hot hits, for which I was grateful. I also ordered a brass post with silver plating, (for better battery contact), and a pack of silicone washers for the top of the tank, (to eliminate leaking), and these came in the mail today.

Ive been using 28 ga Kanthal Al Vapowire, and after playing with different size & length coils I thought I finally found what seemed a pretty decent build. At 10 wraps I was getting an even 2 ohms fairly consistently, a decent amount of vapor with just a tiny bit of a throat hit and great flavor. It seemed that after some trial & error and lots of reading in the forums it was FINALLY vaping really good and wicking well, (with organic cotton).

So, I finally get my "personal awesome set-up" going, and then I install my silver post today and now Im getting "low load" on my Knight ST VV/VW UNIT. Ive made three different coils now, and cannot seem to get my ohms back up into that sweet spot where the unit fires.
So, I decided to sit down and write a post:?:. I thought maybe one of you veterans might have some experience with the RSST, and maybe have a suggestion for me? Like I said, I thought I was finally doing really good at my coils; tight and heating from the center outward when I pulse them on the smaller battery, but as I move it over to the Knight SR unit it won't fire. I'm ready to scream! GRRRRRRR!:mad:

My juice is Sweet Grape, 50/50, and I vary from 6-18 mg depending on time of day & how much I want to vape. I'm making an okay amount of cloud, as long as I don't steep for more than a day, at least before I did the dang post switch.

I guess my question is, does a silver plate post really drop the resistance THAT MUCH? Should I just switch back to the stainless steel one? I thought the point of the better post had more to do with transferring power from the battery better, and putting it under less stress. Would I need to add a bunch more wraps to add resistance to the coil, or can I just start fiddling again with the right number/size of wraps for my wire? I've tried from 9-12 wraps around a 3.4mm OD tubing to make my coils & my wires are nice and tight.
I'm happy with a 1.8-2.4 ohms reading if my vapor/flavor output is good and my two small "Trustfire IMR 18350 800 mAh 3.7v" batteries will get me through a full day, tho I would love a little more battery life if I could get it.

Im getting tired of dumping out cash tho, as the entire point of making RSST purchase was to get a better vape and yet to ultimately save me some money in the long run. So I hope I can maybe get some feedback to find "just the right build" for this thing?
Thanks in advance for any help, (after I practically subject you all to dang near a novel! LOL)

ResaJo

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
I tried to post images, and it says I can't use the method described on the site because I am not allowed to "post links".
Is there another way to get images onto the thread?

I believe you need five posts to in order to post links. Just go welcome some newbies in their threads or post any additional info you might have in this thread to get your five posts. Then wait for the ECF server to reset at 25 minutes after the hour. You should then be able to post links.

I don't have an RSST but make sure that your coil is firmly attached to the positive and negative posts. Also make sure that the center post on the RSST is down far enough in order to make firm contact with the center post on your PV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread