low resistance atomizer or high voltage device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
By "sd" do you mean the 3.7V Screwdriver MKII?

The watts (i.e., intensity of the vape) is virtually the same. Otherwise, there are pros and cons for each:

• 5V+ mods require stacking batteries, which is inherently dangerous. [You can reduce that risk by only using protected batteries and a mod which has very good venting.]

• LR atomizers are more delicate and prone to being burned out. [You can reduce the chance of that by always keeping the atty very moist, e.g., frequent dripping.]
I prefer an LR atty on a 3.7V mod (or on one of the "Fat Batts", e.g., eGO). It enables a smaller device and/or much higher mAh than the 5V or 6V mods ... and it is safest. For example, I'm currently using a ProVape-1 with an AW 14500 battery (true 750 mAh). The ProVape has double venting and the AW has two types of protection built in (PCB and venting). And it is more slender than most higher voltage mods. An 18650-based mod is much higher mAh: true 2200, or up to 4000 (with the Tekk*). One of the other, very interesting, ways to go with 3.7V (and the same battery), is with a juice feeder like the WetBox: very small, semi-automatic juice injection, and less expensive than any 5V+ mod.

* The Tekk uses two 18650 batteries, but in parallel, i.e., unstacked.​

But there certainly is something to be said for a variable voltage mod like the Buzz (which requires stacked batteries). Unlike an LR atty, you can tweak the watts to just the right level for you (and the e-liquid you are using).

Check out ViZi's comprehensive guide to mods to see all that's currently available. Lots of choices. Do whatever you can to minimize the risks and find a mod that has the features that most appeal to you. And never ever use unprotected batteries.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
hi there
is using a lr atomiiser 510 on a sd as good as a purpose built hv mod like a xhaler or a prodigy?
steves9090

Hi Steve,

Your "as good as" has to be defined. Assuming you mean the vapor production is "as good as" a High Voltage devices, then you're right - the resultant power/wattage is a combination of both the voltage and resistance, so by using a low resistance atomizer on a lower voltage device, you can achieve the same wattage as a higher resistance atomizer at a higher voltage. See this chart:

wattage.png

The top row (starting with 1.4) is the ohms of the atomizer. The first column is the voltage. There are differences in opinion on exactly what wattage is the 'sweet spot'.

I tend toward the 6 to 8 range because I want to be able to take long drags and don't want to have to pay that much attention to burning out atomizers - although working with LR attys and HV devices, you always have to keep the atomizer wet, (avoid flooding of course).

Others prefer the 8 to 10 range - a bit more vapor - but they pay more attention to the length of drag (keeping it short) and make sure the atomizer stays soaked ;-) ... so as not to burn out attys.

So, the answer to your question is yes, the SD with an LR can be as good as HV devices with regular or HV atomizers, you just have to work out the right LR ohm rating for the voltage the SD is using in order to achieve the same wattage as HV devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread