Lower gauge kanthal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
It's not that simple. Lower-gauge wire takes longer to heat up, and the coil temperature is really the driving factor (and is one of the hardest things to figure out). Also, there isn't that much room in the head, so you can't make the coil too much longer without risking shorting it out on the sides.

My advice would be to stick with the 32 gauge (which is very suitable for a PT head) and use a rayon wick instead of cotton or silica.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ck-better-flow-flavor-saturation-nic-hit.html

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I understand from a prior posting that the lower gauge wire has lower resistance, requiring more loops to achieve the required ohms. With that in mind, if I use a lower gauge than now (28 or 30) instead of my 32, to build my Protank Mini 2 coils, will the additional metal surface area produce more vape?

Yes, you can use 30 in the protank head.

28 is big for a protank head; you'd need a proper rebuildable to use 28; some people manage to squeeze 28 in protank heads but it's a tight fit.

since you have 32, you can twist 2 pieces of 32 together to simulate a thicker gauge.

Gargoyle

May 19, 2014
Michigan
I can tell you from experience in rebuilding pro tank heads that 28 is tight… SUPER tight!! I need to do 12 wraps of 28 to get a good ohms resistance that my wives MVP won't spit back out and not fire. I have managed as low as 9 wraps but that build was sketchy. Sometimes it would fire.. Other times it would not. 10 was a bit better… But I settled on 12 because it was the most consistent. Plus her MVP will fire 10watts all day which IMO is about the best wattage to fire one of those.

If I was doing only PT heads I'd go 32. But since I am trying to talk her into a kayfun for herself I've been holding off on getting a roll.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
For Protank2's 7 wraps on a little screw driver of 30g gives me 1.9. 5 1/2 wraps of 30g gives me 1.5 ohms and don't hold it to your mouth when you press button because it will spit when first fired. Either build have I ever got a dry hit and I am a chain vapor of about 8 to 9 ml per day. Both wicked with cotton. I take apart silica wick and lay 2 pieces across top as a flavor wick. My protanks have never once flooded either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread