Resistance (ohms) questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been reading up on battery safety and a few things do not make any sense to me.

As I understand it lower gauge wire is thicker, so why would a lower gauge coil (that has more material) produce a lower ohm? It would seem the more material the electrons would have to go through the higher the resistance would be.

Similar to the other question... Again, as I understand it if you make a coil with less wraps the ohms will be lower. Why is it that if you are running a duel coil system the ohms are essentially halved? IE: 7 wrap 26 gauge single coil =.9 duel 7 wrap 26 gauge coils =.45.

Thanks in advance!

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
So I have been reading up on battery safety and a few things do not make any sense to me.

As I understand it lower gauge wire is thicker, so why would a lower gauge coil (that has more material) produce a lower ohm? It would seem the more material the electrons would have to go through the higher the resistance would be.
Thicker wire has less resistivity to the flow of electrons. The available area of conductive material is a benefit to current flow, not a hindrance.

Similar to the other question... Again, as I understand it if you make a coil with less wraps the ohms will be lower. Why is it that if you are running a duel coil system the ohms are essentially halved?
Again, because you are reducing the resistivity (with coils fit in parallel, not series) to the flow of current... net resistance is effectively half that of one coil, of the same resistance.

Thanks in advance!
I hate to resort to water hose analogies, but - larger hose, more liquid (current) flow - due to less resistance to that flow.
Shorter hose (although this may make less sense as a hose analogy) less resistance to the flow... from one point of zero flow resistivity to the next.

Oh... and welcome to ECF. ;-)

Last edited:

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Think of his way. if you have one electron flowing through a wire it there is no reason why a wider wire would make it more difficult for an electron to get from one end of the wire to the other. Now if million electrons were trying to flow through that wire then they would have a harder time reaching the end of the wire. So the thicker the wire the more electrons can flow. Or you could say the thicker wire has less resistance.
The less resistance the lower the ohms.

The longer wire works the same way it takes more energy to push those electrons to the end. In other words the longer wire has more resistance.

If you had two wires the same length and thickness side by side twice as many electron could flow thought those wire. That would be the same as saying two wires have half the resistance compared to one wire.

Last edited:

TrendyPete

Apr 19, 2014
Seattle, WA
The traffic analogy is often helpful. Skinny roads (thin wire) mean less traffic (electrons) can move through (higher resistance). Wider roads (thicker, lower gauge wire) means more traffic (electrons) can move through more swiftly (lower resistance). Multiple lanes (dual, quad coils) move more traffic (lower resistance, half for every doubling of coils).

Its good that your wanting to figure this stuff out, especially if you want to drop ohms in multicoil builds, which can be dangerous.

http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/circuit-construction-kit-dc

I used the above circuit construction kit to help learn Ohm's law and the effects of multicoil builds. You can use the light bulb widget to simulate coils and see the effects.of multiple coils on resistance and current.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread