• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

LR/SR tank Question on ego-vv passthrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battlelance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Hey folks,

I'm in the process of filling up my shopping cart with some extra cartos and a few stardusts, but I have a few questions.

I'm really liking the stardusts - I have a SR and a LR both with different juices in them, and I find I get a better TH with lower nic juices in the LR. Higher nic juices in the LR just feels like breathing in camp fire smoke so I keep the SR for the 24mg juices. I also find that using a SR boge carto with any juice, even at 4.2v, is just meh (though at 4.2 the battery only puts out 3.5v fully charged).

So, having said all that, I was thinking of trying out one of those 4ml tanks that come with the smoktech DC LR cartos which seem to be around 1.5 ohms. I assume I'd have to run it at 3.2v because it would come out to around 6 watts.

Anyway, I'm curious to know how you folks think this carto will perform on a ego-vv. Or if I should just get a tank and a SR carto and punch it?

Thanks!

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
Using the 1.5 ohm DC's on the eGo will feel kinda meh. Personally I didn't get a great vape out of them until I was able to crank up the voltage. I found a 5v box mod (so around 5.8v unloaded) was giving too much power too it.

However with that being said I really can't get tanks to work correctly. I have tried the Smok dual coils with the original hole, punched larger hole, punched 2nd hole, slotted. As well the same types (1x hole, 2x holes and slotted) with a Boge & Smok 1.7 & 2.8 cartos and either burnt them because they weren't wicking or flooded the crap out of them.

So I may not be the best person to ask or comment.

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
The reason why the vape from your SR devices is "meh" is becauase your battery doesn't put out enough voltage to make it the warm, favourful, vaporful goodness you're looking for. You can run LR cartos up to like 4v depending on the type, I've done it without issue. The thing you have to think about is the actual loaded voltage. Your battery might put out 3.2 with no carto on it, but with a carto on it's likely actually putting out 3v or less. Because of this, full VV is the way to go. I personally was never attracted to the 3-stage VV batts because I like a really warm vape. I could not use SR on an Ego battery, it sucks IMO. I like to be around 4.5v.

I would definitely get the LR over the SR. But you can buy LR cartos and punch them as well, the exact same way, and use them in the tank. I don't personally like the Smoktech tanks because they're too slidey on the carto IMO. I have the Mom & Pop Mini Sub tank and a Phiniac tank and I prefer the Mini Sub for ease of use, but the Phiniac is pretty.

Last edited:

wildcat

Verified Member
Feb 2, 2012
Surrey, BC
I have been rockin the smoktech tanks (all of them) for a while now and have had a decent experience so far. They are definitely better served on a VV device.

I have not had any flooding, leaking or major blowouts with my smoktech tanks so far. You just have to make sure to allow a fresh carto an adequate amount of time to sop up the juice before vaping. To make sure they are getting enough juice I "fake vape" (no power) on the tank/carto by sucking air in through the top while gripping around the bottom of the tank in a way so the amount of air that gets in is limited. This creates a lot of negative air pressure in the tank which in turn forces more juice into the carto. Some people leave their tanks standing up over night to make sure they sop up enough juice but I am impatient and my method seems to work well...

At first I bought the flanged dual coils. They worked OK on the lavatube but after a while I wanted more vape.

Most recently I bought a bunch of smoktech single coil, SR, stainless, XL carto's and a saddle punch. Damn what a difference. I seem to be getting more punch out of the single coils for sure.

With a VV device I find it better to go with the SR carto's as it allows you to play with the higher voltages more freely. With the LR's the range is much less and I seem to have bad luck with accidentally burning them out.

I would also like to try the stainless Boge XL's with a tank. The Boge's seem to mute flavour a bit less for me and definitely have more of a punch.

Battlelance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
NB, Canada
First off, thanks to everyone who replied for the info, great stuff!

From all the comments I've seen, I'll stick with the LR stardusts on my ego for the time being, might even try a pack of LR boges... Having said that, I have been eyeballing the lavatube for a real VV device, but I understand it has "issues" regulating voltage on LR attachments - which makes sense, 6v on a 1.5ohm would be like :ohmy:

I was considering an Omega or a silver bullet for something with a longer battery life than the egovv (hard to charge batteries while in the woods fishing lol), but the real VV devices sound like a better upgrade. The lavatube is around $65 as a kit, and the Provari is like $250 as a kit (in Canada anyway) - a little out of my budget.

Would the lavatube with some SR cartos like the Smoktech single coil 2.7s (or DC 2.5s) and a 4ml tank be a solid investment?

wildcat

Verified Member
Feb 2, 2012
Surrey, BC
Would the lavatube with some SR cartos like the Smoktech single coil 2.7s (or DC 2.5s) and a 4ml tank be a solid investment?

Yeah my previous comments were mostly based on my experience with the lavatube. Single coils definitely rock over the duals on that unit given its known current limitation.

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
6v on a 1.5ohm carto would burn up unfortunately. The lavatube and silver bullet both take an 18650 battery so they have the exact same battery life, an omega may take the same too, I gorget. You could bring a few pre-charged batts with you while in the woods and have no issues. I have a mini lavatube which has a smaller battery life and I get to the evening at least with 2 batteries vaping heavily. Dual coils on a lavatube are kind of useless and you will get more punch out of singles, for sure. I suggest Boge SR and Kanger cartos. I don't like Smoktech cartos, personally. Tanks are great, if you want ease of use you should get one with a fill port (like this, I have the mini size 3ml: Tanks - Mom and Pop Vapor Shop). Or alternatively you can buy the screws and drill&tap yourself and make the fill ports but it's a cheap tank anyways and it is the best I have used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread