RDA Magma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
I'm looking for single coil with air flow that I can tailor from pretty restricted to fairly open, easy to work on, and flavor is important. I vape mouth to lung.

After reading about the Magma and looking at the pics it looks like the one for me. It looks set up for good single or dual operation and it looks easy to work on. Currently using a Vulcan with one hole taped off. Like but don't love how it vapes.

So should I add the Magma to my cart, or did I miss one out there that meets my criteria better? Thanks

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
I have the Magma and the Freakshow. If you're buying original the Freakshow would be the better purchase if you can find the latest version which I understand has the option for single coil. My original version is dual coil only.

I like the looks of the Freakshow and almost ordered one. If you look at it though it's for dual coil. The Magma actually has 3 sets of holes on the afc so it's blocked off for single coil users, which is exactly what I am looking for. No more electrical tape on my rda, I'd much rather use something made to do what I want.

k5blazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
Magma for the ease of build, single or dual coils, flavor, airflow adjustment for restricted mtl, or even lung when opened up. Inexpensive, sold everywhere, solid built item. The biggest issues most people have, the long 510 connection. It won't flush mount to all devices. Also, leaky. But if you put an Oring under the airflow ring you can reduce that problem. Magma, they work well.:)

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
I am also in the market for a bottom air flow rda and right now I'm kinda leaning towared the holmes by cigreen. Very Similar to the Magma, the biggest difference is the build deck, it looks like it might actually be easier to wick and hold more juice compared to the magma. It doesn't have a "true" single coil option (meaning the AFC ring can close off one of the bottom air holes like the magma), but I've heard that you can just push a little bit of cotton (or whatever wicking material you use) down into the second channel and it works fine.
VaporDNA has it for 29.99
Holmes RDA Rebuildable Atomizer by Cigreen

DadEh

Dec 23, 2014
East of GTA
I am, by no means knowledgable as I just purchased my 1st two RDA's on Saturday (Magma paradigm and the DarkHorse) these are for weekends as I don't want to drip and drive.
Only used the Magma, so far and for just getting into building my own coils, last week, the Magma was a pleasure to build on. Taste is very very nice and cloud was surprisingly good.
I admit to being somewhat nervous, being a smaller unit versus the RTA, Atlantis and Nautilus but I love the Magma.
Just a noob opinion.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
If youre looking at magma clones, make sure you dont buy the one with the flat top inside the cap... the $12.51one at fasttech is the bad one with the flat top chamber. The good ones have the dome shaped chamber and are 1:1 clones of the real deal like this one...
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10008103/1718100-magma-style-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer

The N22 is another great RDA with adjustable air flow from underneath the coil and a domed chamber for great flavor along with a deep drip well like the magma. It's cap has three slots so it can be ran as single coil or dual coil. The best advantage it has over the magma is the cap can be removed without having to screw it off. And that cap is o-ringed so its not going to seep juice like the magma does. Plus its a damn good looking rda compared to the bloated looking magma. Have a look...
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1950401

hth

hth

IM_ALL_IN

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
NE
I'm looking for single coil with air flow that I can tailor from pretty restricted to fairly open, easy to work on, and flavor is important. I vape mouth to lung.

After reading about the Magma and looking at the pics it looks like the one for me. It looks set up for good single or dual operation and it looks easy to work on. Currently using a Vulcan with one hole taped off. Like but don't love how it vapes.

So should I add the Magma to my cart, or did I miss one out there that meets my criteria better? Thanks

Get a magma for ~$15 and call it a day. It's extremely simple to build, has a deep juice well, and most importantly, it's capable of restricted flow. You actually feel that MTL throat hit that smokers are used to. I recently purchased a lethal RDA on a whim and the flow makes it feel like I'm huffing paint or something. Some people like that I guess but it isn't my kind of thing. I got a magma in the mail today and it's an entirely different story.

Last edited:

Fattlestar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Ohio, USA
The Magma does what you want, and does it well.

My Infinite Magma loves to share juice with my mods though. That airflow ring gets really juicy if you don't have a large o-ring tucked in there to stop the condensation from running through the threads of the top cap, and if you over drip you may end up with some leaking from the actual airflow holes.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I have no problem recommending the Magma, even in Clones. I have (2) 1:1 versions and they perform perfectly on every build I have done.
The magma may not be as open as some would like but it has good aFC and can be run single and choked down to almost closed if you want.
I have purchased 3 RDA's others claimed were better. They obviously never learned how to set up a Magma(simple) or never owned one.
After several build variations Not produce nearly as good flavor while producing a bit more Vapor.

If a RDA wants to claim it is better than a Magma(designed for Flavor) it had better produce more/better FLAVOR.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

I have a magma which I have been running single coil; stuffed one side with foil.

There's one called the Achilles which is like the magma but specifically single coil; 1 airhole up the middle.

I stopped using my magma because it feels like I'm tasting the white plastic block that's down in the dripwell; there's a 22mm version that doesn't have that block, so I've ordered that to try out.

Meanwhile I've settled on the 30mm veritas. I run it single coil; it has only 1 airhole to worry about.

1776804-1.jpg

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I like the looks of the Freakshow and almost ordered one. If you look at it though it's for dual coil. The Magma actually has 3 sets of holes on the afc so it's blocked off for single coil users, which is exactly what I am looking for. No more electrical tape on my rda, I'd much rather use something made to do what I want.

In that situation (on my biddripper) I use scotchtape with a piece of foil stuck to it. The foil is over the hole.

Jjshbetz11

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Ohio
I have no problem recommending the Magma, even in Clones. I have (2) 1:1 versions and they perform perfectly on every build I have done.
The magma may not be as open as some would like but it has good aFC and can be run single and choked down to almost closed if you want.
I have purchased 3 RDA's others claimed were better. They obviously never learned how to set up a Magma(simple) or never owned one.
After several build variations Not produce nearly as good flavor while producing a bit more Vapor.

If a RDA wants to claim it is better than a Magma(designed for Flavor) it had better produce more/better FLAVOR.

I agree totally, would you mention said other atty's so myself and other forum members don't do the same as you. I will admit I have owned a magma clone for a while. Never gave it a fair chance because I was doing the whole cloud mech thing. Went back to magma with a .3, 24g. Kanthal dual build at 36 watts, and haven't took it off. I have to admit this dripper is giving me the best vape so far. I have to give credit to my sigelei box to allow me to fire said combo, but a really nice vape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread