Magnetic e liquid mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusif

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Denmark
So a while ago i ordered stuff to build a mag mixer for mixing e liquids with, and besides from needing some stronger magnets or a beaker with a thinner buttom its done and the first tobacco liquid is in it mixing right now! :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 84

dead not sleeping

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Land of Thunder, Upstate NY
Good job on the build! :toast: Why the duplicate switches and speed controllers???
Here's a place for incredibly strong rare earth magnets - https://www.kjmagnetics.com/
I would recommend a glass flask or beaker, and get the magnets as close as you can to the top. You can also use a nickle coated mini bar or rod magnet in place of the stir bar if you need more attraction.

The least expensive magmixer (new, buy it now, free shipping) as of today on e-bay is 85 bucks. With heat, is still under 100 bucks. Prices are coming down on these, comparable to a decent UC. You may get a fantastic deal on a used one with a bid. Watch out for the shipping charges though!

I think what you would get for 85 bucks is exactly what Dusif made, a computer fan with magnets and a speed control. A "lab" version will not have the "computer fan" motor, but a beefed up motor with mondo magnets, thus the added expense.

Last edited:

Dusif

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Denmark
Good job on the build! :toast: Why the duplicate switches and speed controllers???
Here's a place for incredibly strong rare earth magnets - https://www.kjmagnetics.com/
I would recommend a glass flask or beaker, and get the magnets as close as you can to the top. You can also use a nickle coated mini bar or rod magnet in place of the stir bar if you need more attraction.

The least expensive magmixer (new, buy it now, free shipping) as of today on e-bay is 85 bucks. With heat, is still under 100 bucks. Prices are coming down on these, comparable to a decent UC. You may get a fantastic deal on a used one with a bid. Watch out for the shipping charges though!

I think what you would get for 85 bucks is exactly what Dusif made, a computer fan with magnets and a speed control. A "lab" version will not have the "computer fan" motor, but a beefed up motor with mondo magnets, thus the added expense.

Theres double switches and knobs because theres a heater on there as well :)... Dont know the exact temp but it goes to 135 degrees celsius

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
I only used 20$ in building materials... Ish... Maybe 25

Def. a rocking job but...I recall doing a thread about this a while back (little replies) but it listed in there a temperature table and how it affects the flavorings, I'm more in to the science of mixing eliquids as there is a method to the madness.

Besides the hotplate feature looking in to building one myself or buying one the magnetics on the one bought are pretty heavy duty and they aren't magnets as you know them. The one I've got are electromagnets so when its turned on you don't get the stir bar off without some force (helps hold the beaker on and in place). Just things that you need to know when/if your going to build your own.

Dusif

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Denmark
Def. a rocking job but...I recall doing a thread about this a while back (little replies) but it listed in there a temperature table and how it affects the flavorings, I'm more in to the science of mixing eliquids as there is a method to the madness.

Besides the hotplate feature looking in to building one myself or buying one the magnetics on the one bought are pretty heavy duty and they aren't magnets as you know them. The one I've got are electromagnets so when its turned on you don't get the stir bar off without some force (helps hold the beaker on and in place). Just things that you need to know when/if your going to build your own.

Remember to check if the motor can turn with all that pull then... If i get my bar too close my fan cant turn with the big bar

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
Remember to check if the motor can turn with all that pull then... If i get my bar too close my fan cant turn with the big bar

It actually does turn without issue, from what I can tell (as I don't hear any moving parts without the stir bar) is it works much like a reverse motor would, the stir bar is the armature that you would find in the center of the motor. If that's the case then the system works of phase magnetics but again its way beyond my understanding of the internal workings of the device. Given the price I don't know that I'd want to take it apart either...:)

Can you post the DIY guide to your mixer if possible, that way if anyone wants to build one themselves they can. The more information out there the better is my theory on it all.

Again, rocking job on that mixer, good stuff and looking forward to the results.

dead not sleeping

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
A 12v wall wort is all you need for a diy magmixer, but if you would like more versatility and power of a PC power supply, you need to understand the spaghetti that comes out of it. There are different types and hookups - one of these ought to help you --- Encyclopedia of ATX to Bench Power Supply Conversion

dead not sleeping

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Don't we all have a box load of those wall worts. Of course, never the one you are looking for though, lol. I use an ATX power supply on my bench, mainly because they will do 10+ amps of nice clean, very well regulated power, 12, 5, and 3.3 volts. I got one in my camper also. Just a useful thing to have around. Imagine how many potential magmixers get tossed each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread