Magnets vs. Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nj1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2009
Boston-ish
Eh... depends on the device and the spring maybe? I know with the nemesis the magnets are silver plated but I don't know if it really matters how conductive they are because its the pin making contact with the battery and not the magnet. My understanding is that its a matter of touch, durability and reducing misfires. But really its device dependent. Some require springs to make contact for the device to work & magnets cant be substituted in those devices in the springs place unless to upgrade the switch which wont have any bearing on how hard it hits per se.

If magnets switch upgrade is an option I say go with it because it will make it fire more smoothly but I don't believe it will change how "hard it hits."

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Which would hit "harder"?
It's after 1am, I'm wide awake and feeling "wordy"... so bear with me. :blink:

It's not really a dead nuts relevant question - in that opposing magnets are, with a few exceptions, used as a substitute for a spring - on the button side of the button collet tube and have nothing to do with actual battery contact.

Upside to magnets are that they don't wear down or out and can be infinity "tuned" for resistance by adding, subtracting or varying thickness and strength.
Upside to springs, easier to find and/or make, can be infinitely tuned (stretched, cut, heated to reduce tension, changed etc etc) same as magnets and at present, are generally way cheaper at the retail level.

Magnets of a specific size to fit 'X' mech mod can be difficult to find (ask me how I know :)) as most (seem to) come from China and Australia. eBay and "SuperMagnetMan", along with Apex and KJ magnetics can be good resources if you want to find "ring" magnets of a specific ID/OD/thickness. Also, Dennis at Fat Daddy Vapes carries some ring magnets for Sigelei, Chi you and Ba gua.

Mechs like the Madz Modz Nzonic are the exception. They are OE with permanently inset magnets and use an "intermediate" contact between battery and firing button. Although the Nzonic (and clones... ehpro being, the best) is easily one of the most popular mechs ever, the design adds a bit of length to the mech... about 3/8"-1/2". Intermediary contact not withstanding, the Nzonic (and ehpro clone) both have very minimal voltage drop under load.

I like magnetic buttons, but I won't buy a mech just because it has a mag button... quality of contacts, voltage drop, thread quality, fit and finish are more valuable to me, IMO.

If "hit harder" is your number one feature... look here.

Tmartin63

Happy Vaper
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
Coldspring, Texas, United States
Tmartin63, check out FatDaddyVapes.com
I bought mine from them, work and fit perfect. I had my brass nemi with an 18650, and prometheus full and drip tip, and it did not fire when unlocked.

Thanks much, Jarred. I also ordered some from supermagnetman. Should ship first part of Dec.

Hooligan80

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2013
Yucaipa,CA,USA
Magnets aren't hard to find. You can find them in local hardware stores. If they are too thick, you can take them on a trip across the belt sander. I have a set coming in for my King, going to find a set for my Turtle Ship V2, and a set for my Brass Monkee. Don't have to worry about my Mirandus V2 when it comes in, because it comes with springs and magnets, so you have the option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread