Maine - Chapter 262

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilk80

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
USA
Has anyone else been hit with this yet? From what I have heard it is an older law that was brought back (no idea by who) and it reeks Big tobacco. :sneaky:

Now obviously I don't mind following the law but I think it is very odd that so many of these have been popping up as of late. Are all states bringing this up? The last I knew nationally many were voting up for the 21+ (which is fine to me but if you are going to 21+ everything you need to 21+ the legal age to go off to way too) but I won't like...due to some personal stuff I have kind of fallen off the vape news scene for a bit.

The snip-it below is from one of the juice vendors I have used for years (had to find a new vendor this week as where I reside vape shops / head shops are far and few between).

We stopped all online sales to Maine due to legislation against online sales in those areas, they passed this law not to long ago. Because of it we can no longer sale there because no packages would get through. the legislation with all the information this link so you can look at it.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Thanks for the reminder about this possibility. I don't expect something like this where I am, Michigan, but may be now I have an excuse to finally perfect my stash, a bit more nic. It's still hard to believe government is going to choke off the supply of vaping products when there are millions of people using them to advantage for years with zero reports of illness caused by vaping.

ilk80

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
USA
I am not sure we can call it a possibility when it is happened, the better question might be - how many more states will follow on the bandwagon. Honestly, considering the states motto of Live Free or Die, this is not one of the states I pictured first to start up with this madness.

I have not researched a great deal (summer just hit, end of school year, life is nuts) but I have a feeling this will not be the only state digging up some old laws or sliding new ones into a random bill that gets passed. We knew this could happen years ago and coming up on a decade of vaping I am a little surprised it has not hit sooner.

The thing we can't tell (spouse and myself) is if this was a random occurrence, as in the old vendor who told me no, was maybe one of those that ended up selling to a minor and getting caught (accident or negligent)....that could be the line used to "crack down" on laws like this while making it harder for those with legitimate get punished in the process. Is this maybe just a fluke that will get smoothed out soon, or is this the start of us all being doomed?

ilk80

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
USA
Hopefully things get rectified soon. I hate to see the good shops that are doing all of the right things and have been for years having a deal with this. It's not like prohibition back in the day fixed anyting. pretty sure the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Ace80s

Jul 24, 2019
Has anyone else been hit with this yet? From what I have heard it is an older law that was brought back (no idea by who) and it reeks Big Tobacco. :sneaky:

Now obviously I don't mind following the law but I think it is very odd that so many of these have been popping up as of late. Are all states bringing this up? The last I knew nationally many were voting up for the 21+ (which is fine to me but if you are going to 21+ everything you need to 21+ the legal age to go off to way too) but I won't like...due to some personal stuff I have kind of fallen off the vape news scene for a bit.

The snip-it below is from one of the juice vendors I have used for years (had to find a new vendor this week as where I reside vape shops / head shops are far and few between).

We stopped all online sales to Maine due to legislation against online sales in those areas, they passed this law not to long ago. Because of it we can no longer sale there because no packages would get through. the legislation with all the information this link so you can look at it.
The new governor is the former Maine Attorney General and was co-chair of the Tobacco Committee of the National Association of Attorneys General.. It will get worse. So far they have raised age to 21, banned online sales, and jacked the tax BIG time. Although most companies are still shipping here still whether or hot they know the are breaking the law. On a side note, "live free or die" is New Hampshire's motto.

ilk80

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
USA
Playing catch-up tag over the last year learning a new state set of politics and the whole shebang has been interesting. I have also yet to meet a single person in the state that likes her, I know she is all about taking money from everyone but her state peeps. I don't think all companies are able to keep track of each state playing the flip-flop with the online sales (all about bury the vapers with red tape) but yes it will definitely get worse before it gets better. Funny about the motto, I see it everywhere here (though mostly on vehicles), good to know. I still like it thought. :)

Ace80s

Jul 24, 2019
Playing catch-up tag over the last year learning a new state set of politics and the whole shebang has been interesting. I have also yet to meet a single person in the state that likes her, I know she is all about taking money from everyone but her state peeps. I don't think all companies are able to keep track of each state playing the flip-flop with the online sales (all about bury the vapers with red tape) but yes it will definitely get worse before it gets better. Funny about the motto, I see it everywhere here (though mostly on vehicles), good to know. I still like it thought. :)
Yeah, I dislike her strongly. 20% smoke, 30% are obese. Where are all the laws on Twinkies? There are not enough vapors to fight it. They will always side with money and voter numbers. I dont fell it even legal to do this but if they are going to attack "bad stuff", go after everyone. It's always smokers/vapers. I used to live in NH so I know the motto well. I may move back if Mills keeps it up.

ilk80

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
USA
Strong dislike is a good way to phrase it. My problem is "Big Everything" is just trying to rock everyone who vapes in an attempt to run most off. The state we moved from, we knew a few vendors who were ready and willing to fight the good fight, saw many who did a pretty good attempt and even more than fell flat which was sad to see. When you have the money, you have it all, right? :confused:

As a parent of two (17yo and 13yo) I really do not care if the age limit is 18 or 21, but it needs to be the same for everything. I have a few friends/associates in the medical field & most always come back to me saying that they want it to be restricted like a "controlled substance". That is fine to me, but they need to do it to everything across the board - cigarettes, e-cigarettes, beer, wine, liquor, etc. This includes age restrictions and taxes, but I think the taxes need to balance off with the product. I don't want my vape juice taxes as a pack of Newports would be because while they can be considered similar, they are very much not the same thing.

I have only been here for a short time but I have a feeling you will be moving back, I have yet to meet anyone here who could even remotely see her changing her ways anytime soon.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Has anyone else been hit with this yet? From what I have heard it is an older law that was brought back (no idea by who) and it reeks Big Tobacco. :sneaky:

This can/is the Ramification of when a State includes e-Liquids that contain Nicotine (and Maybe even things that Don't!) a "Tobacco Product".

BTW - What a Surprise!

6. Exemption. The provisions of this section do not apply to the delivery sale of premium cigars to a consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread