Making canna oil from AVB (after vaped bud)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Been saving my AVB, use a picture frame with glass to dump on post vape. If burnt goes in the reject pile but if browned nice goes into the save pile.
To make canna oil I use a Crockpot "Little Dipper", 35 watts, I did try a Betty Crocker but at 70 watts it burnt the herb.
I usually go by weight but went by volume for this mix. 1/2 cup AVB with 1/2 cup of organic Coconut oil. Just turned on the crockpot so in about 6 hours will strain through cheese cloth and done.
With the 35 watt Little Dipper I do stir it every hour or so, the 70 watt tiny crockpot I use for my Chaga tea.

I usually make gummies from the canna oil though I'll do a sample, 1 teaspoon, tomorrow to gauge its strength to determine if it's worth making gummies.

From the Nuken bud the canna oil was a light brown similar to Lebanese hash if anyone else can remember that long ago, one gummie for me and I sleep without awakening from knee pain from last years knee replacement, daytime use though I usually cut one in half depending on my pain level. Will be interesting what the colour is when done.
Anyways have a great New Years Eve everyone and I'll be back just before midnight with an update

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Super interesting. I am saving my avb for something like this as well. I've never made oil before. Your method sounds nice. Do you put it directly in the crockpot or do you put it in another container within the pot?

Obviously avb has already been decarbed but out of curiosity what would you do for decarb? I've done it by grinding coarsely, lining a cookie sheet then covering with foil and baking at roughly 115 Celsius for 20-30 minutes. I've heard a lot of people do it for longer but I've always been scared of taking it too far and losing potency. Anyway, I really like the thought of using avb for oil. And oil in general is nice because there are so many ways to use it. I'd probably use coconut too. Maybe MCT.

Edit: just stumbled across this. Pretty interesting Decarboxylation | Skunk Pharm Research

Last edited:

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Super interesting. I am saving my avb for something like this as well. I've never made oil before. Your method sounds nice. Do you put it directly in the crockpot or do you put it in another container within the pot?

Directly into the crockpot then pour or spoon in the coconut oil from measuring cup. If no small crockpot available can use a double broiler, I used to use double boiler but went to the crockpot this fall as I find it easier. Stir every once and awhile, but this crockpot seems to be perfect as fell asleep and left one mix on overnight and no burn taste.

Obviously avb has already been decarbed but out of curiosity what would you do for decarb? I've done it by grinding coarsely, lining a cookie sheet then covering with foil and baking at roughly 115 Celsius for 20-30 minutes. I've heard a lot of people do it for longer but I've always been scared of taking it too far and losing potency. Anyway, I really like the thought of using avb for oil. And oil in general is nice because there are so many ways to use it. I'd probably use coconut too. Maybe MCT.

Edit: just stumbled across this. Pretty interestinghttps://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

As you stated the avb is good to go. When using buds or trim I decarb for basically the same as you posted 20 to 30 minutes at 120 degrees Celsius or 250 Fahrenheit, I use a tinfoil pan with sides and cover with tinfoil. Seems recommended in some articles I've read. Kinda by trail n error it's the tempature I've used for years but it was nice to have that temp confirmed in articles I've read. Will take a look at your link in a bit.

Yes thats the thing about making oil it can be used in so many ways, capsule it up, stirfry supper even breakfast, gummies, baked goodies. It's the same process to make canna-butter, which I used to make but then found out I can make gummies from canna-coconut oil.

I used to grind bud up before de-carb but now I just pull the buds apart and cut the larger nug left in half. Seems to be working fine.

This will be a good experiment as I have gummies made from the Nuken bud so can compare to those to see what's what.

I also added lecithin as research said it helps with extracting the cannabinoids or was it help with uptake in our bodies
1/4 teaspoon per half cup oil or butter, add to crockpot.

The gummies are fun to make and fun to share. More on that tomorrow when I'll make 'em.

Today is the Present
Open it and Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Unplugged the batch after 6 hours but too much fun going on to drain last night so tthis morning plugged crockpot on for around 45 minutes to warm batch up then drained.
I use a simple kitchen strainer, place cheesecloth on strainer over a glass container, pour hot mixture into strainer, then tie up cheese cloth with thread to seal it, then squeeze the ball of bud and oil to get more out of it. That's basically it and it's ready to use.

I've been saving the cheesecloth ball, just put into baggie, label with date and cannabis type, I use magic marker and write on bag. Reason is we never get back all the oil so saving for more extraction. With canna-butter I would add the cheesecloth ball to homemade chicken soup and that worked well.

This morning I put 4 used frozen cheesecloth balls into crockpot with 1 cup of coconut oil. Haven't done it this way before so it will be interesting how it turns out. I also have a container that I redid with 1 cheesecloth ball and 1/2 cup of coconut oil but haven't got around to testing it yet.

Unfortunately my knee was very painfull this morning so had to medicate it with a couple T3's so it'll be tomorrow before I can test the avb gummies with a clear head, though I have taken one.

The oil from the avb came out a dark brownish-green definitely darker than with bud but taste is similar, has a slightly nutty taste not unpleasant. The gummies also came out a darker lime than the bud gummies with the same Jello.

Was a busy morning, drain oil, start making gummies, get roast beef n veggies going in big crockpot for supper. Time to make a crab omelet for brunch then continue making gummies for the afternoon. I only have 2 molds with 8 gummies each so making the gummies with just a couple molds is a long process.
Ty @Sloth Tonight for fixing my post from yesterday.

Health n Happiness to all throughout the New Year.

• Love
Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Sounds so good. Thanks for sharing this process with us! I'm going to try it soon. Will try with AVB or CBD flower first to see how that goes. Then once I feel comfortable with that I'll try bud. Ideally I'd love to aim for a 1:1 thc:cbd oil eventually.

When you do make some, as you are aware, start slow before you take more.

I was testing at one teaspoon when I knew I wouldn't be driving or doing anything other than watching a movie or reading. Same for daytime I only use edibles if my day doesn't involve driving or complex tasks. Since I probably consume a bit more cannabis daily than yourself I would suggest testing at 1/4 or even 1/8 of a teaspoon depending on your cannabis to coconut oil ratio.

I don't get much of a head buzz from edibles, muscle relaxation, pain reduction,
and a much better sleep are the main effects for me, ymmv yadda yadda.

Coconut oil tends to be high in saturated fat, the label on mine says 1 tablespoon has 13 grams of saturated fat, 65% of daily value, which is why I make it strong as I watch, somewhat, my saturated fat intake with my stroke history.

For bud, I figure the Nuken is around 20%, so I use 1/2 ounce to 1/2 cup of coconut oil which barely covers the bud in the crockpot. I'd rather cut a strong gummie in half then ingest 3 for the same effect considering the saturated fat content.

I have cut my pain meds by 75% since harvest in October, so my doctor is happy and I'm having a lot more fun and joy in my life.

Later

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
When you do make some, as you are aware, start slow before you take more.

I was testing at one teaspoon when I knew I wouldn't be driving or doing anything other than watching a movie or reading. Same for daytime I only use edibles if my day doesn't involve driving or complex tasks. Since I probably consume a bit more cannabis daily than yourself I would suggest testing at 1/4 or even 1/8 of a teaspoon depending on your cannabis to coconut oil ratio.

I don't get much of a head buzz from edibles, muscle relaxation, pain reduction,
and a much better sleep are the main effects for me, ymmv yadda yadda.

Coconut oil tends to be high in saturated fat, the label on mine says 1 tablespoon has 13 grams of saturated fat, 65% of daily value, which is why I make it strong as I watch, somewhat, my saturated fat intake with my stroke history.

For bud, I figure the Nuken is around 20%, so I use 1/2 ounce to 1/2 cup of coconut oil which barely covers the bud in the crockpot. I'd rather cut a strong gummie in half then ingest 3 for the same effect considering the saturated fat content.

I have cut my pain meds by 75% since harvest in October, so my doctor is happy and I'm having a lot more fun and joy in my life.

Later
That's fantastic that it helps your pain so much :thumbs:

I'll definitely start slow. I'm pretty well acquainted with edibles and they hit me quite hard. They're my preferred method of consumption when vacationing to the better side of my country and I've found that 20mg is the perfect dose. I've made firecrackers many times at home, and the issue with them has been inconsistency in potency from cracker to cracker, so in particular the first time I make a new batch of oil I'll be very cautious at first.

Gummies are my favorite so if I make edibles from the oil I may try to make some gummies. I think I'd also enjoy putting some in coffee, hot chocolate or a smoothie as well.

I've been considering just trying some avb without even cooking it. It's already decarbed so in theory, could just mix it in some yogurt and eat it straight. Only reason I haven't yet is, well, sounds disgusting :lol:

• Love
Reactions: Fog n Vape

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Well the gummies made out of the avb were significantly weaker than made out of the bud. Couple nights ago I took 1 around 6 p.m. and another 10 p.m. and did not get a restful sleep, in fact had no effect as woke up numerous time with knee pain though I could feel the some effects when the 2nd one kicked in guess they just too weak for overnight pain relief.

Yesterday was a write off without proper sleep so took a Nuken bud strawberry gummy last night and slept right through. Much better day today.

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
There's no need to cook it for 6 hours. Warm the coconut oil up just a lil mix in the avb, give it a good shake, let it settle, then strain it.
No need in overcomplicating it ;)

Maybe that's why it was so weak from heating too long but if or when I do I I'll try it out and see if it's stronger, of course have to vape enough bud to get that much avb first, another chore I'd better get at it.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I think I'm going to try making oil either tomorrow or Tuesday. I made stem milk from my dynavap the other day, it was heavenly. Literally just got some heavy cream steaming, dropped my disassembled pieces into the cream and all the oil/residue just merged into the cream. Then I made hot chocolate and added that in. There was a ton of CBD residue in that dynavap and the stem milk wound up being the most potent dose of CBD I've ever taken in one sitting. Slept well that night :)

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
I think I'm going to try making oil either tomorrow or Tuesday. I made stem milk from my dynavap the other day, it was heavenly. Literally just got some heavy cream steaming, dropped my disassembled pieces into the cream and all the oil/residue just merged into the cream. Then I made hot chocolate and added that in. There was a ton of CBD residue in that dynavap and the stem milk wound up being the most potent dose of CBD I've ever taken in one sitting. Slept well that night :)

Sounds wonderful, I gotta try, it's too bad I cleaned my Dynavap yesterday but next time . How long did you leave the pieces in the steaming cream and was the screen nice and clean after ?

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Sounds wonderful, I gotta try, it's too bad I cleaned my Dynavap yesterday but next time . How long did you leave the pieces in the steaming cream and was the screen nice and clean after ?
Not long just a few minutes. It did a decent job cleaning but the screen edges were still a bit grimy. So I did an iso soaked qtip afterwards. But yeah it definitely was worth it!

• Winner
Reactions: Fog n Vape

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I made oil! First time doing this. I made two batches, one from Kush Hemp and one from a 1:1 combo of Sour Space Candy (hemp) and Sour Diesel (x Animal Cookies). I'll roughly outline my process, open to critique and suggestions for future endeavors.

For both oils I used 1 cup of oil to 10 grams of herb. I used the mason jar method. Started by decarbing the buds by putting them in a mason jar with the lid lightly screwed on and placing them in the oven around 240F (was trying my best to keep it there, probably fluctuated between 230 and 250 but stayed fairly stable). I read that it takes longer to decarb hemp, and takes longer in general in a mason jar. So I did 90 minutes with a good shake every 15 minutes for the hemp. After the first 30 minutes decarbing the Sour Space Candy, I tossed in the Sour Diesel so the THC bud got 60 minutes decarbing.

Let them cool a bit then filled the jars with oil. I put them in a crockpot with the water around 180-200F (usually right in the middle around 190). The water came up just barely above the oil line in the jars. I left them in the crockpot for 4 hours, taking them out to briefly stir the contents and "burp" the jars every 30 minutes.

After the 4 hours was up I let them cool for ~15 minutes then strained through a nutmilk bag into a measuring cup. Each of these yielded just below 250ml of finished product (I had used a tiny bit extra oil to compensate for loss and it worked out well). Close enough to 250ml to base my math off that amount of oil. And if my math is right, the Kush Hemp oil is roughly ~5mg/ml and the other oil is about 5mgTHC and 2.5mgCBD/ml.

I tried a teaspoon of the Kush oil immediately and it tasted great. The effects were pleasant. Tonight I'll try the combo oil and will be able to tell how accurate the math is. I know what 20mg THC doses in edible form feel like so I'll shoot for a 15-20mg dose and see how it feels. Will post some pics below including one of the finished products after a night cooling in the fridge. They're nice and solidified now and have developed a nice green-ish color.

This was a fun and educational process! I chose the mason jar method because of the fact that it contains smell somewhat and supposedly minimizes terpene loss. Also, very little clean-up work needed. Will report back tomorrow with how the combo oil turned out.

0114201344.jpg
0114201454.jpg
0115200914b.jpg

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
The oil came out well. I took a teaspoon last night after work and I expected it to be somewhere between 20-25mg THC. My guess is it was actually more like 15-20mg. Good effects, but not quite as strong as eating two 10mg gummies from a dispensary. However, that could also be because of the CBD mediating the THC. It was definitely in the neighborhood of 20mg though so I consider it a success.

Tonight I'm going to put a teaspoon in some hot coco :)
And it's time to look into what kind of goodies I can make from this oil. Gummies sound intriguing. I think I'm going to enjoy experimenting and Chrissy's going to love it. Not because of the cannabis but because I may get hooked on baking and that would be to her liking :D

BTW, sorry - maybe I should have started a separate thread as this wasn't pertaining to AVB. I do need to make something with my AVB though!

Edit a day later: so uh, about that potency...it's definitely 20mg or even 25. I think my first teaspoon was a tad short. It was cold out of the fridge, so maybe I mismeasured it. Last night I stuck a full teaspoon (room temp, still solid but not cold and tough to scoop) in some hot chocolate and it sent me flying. HotCannaCoco = excellent :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread