Making Glass tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

b06gordo

Unregistered Supplier
Jun 3, 2012
Peoria Il
Hi guys I'm fairly new here, and I've been vaping for about six months. I'm a glassblower at my day job and so I have been thinking of different ways to make glass tanks. I like the idea that pyrex has a very high resistance to chemical breakdown, and should in theory last much longer, as long as it's not dropped and broken. So today I made my first "prototypes". I made them to fit XL smoktek 1.5 ohm carto with the flange on the bottom.

For this I have used the delrin end caps that come with your standard 6ml DCT tank (I believe made by smoktek). I found the glass tubing that fits these end caps very well (which was half the battle). For my next project I want to make a glass tank with stainless steel end caps, I like the look of them much more and I believe that they will last longer than delrin. I have purchased a set of spare stainless ends caps to try out, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice about getting some machined to the specs that I would want. I have never done any metal working myself and it seems a bit overwhelming at this point.

So far I dont have any leaks, and it seems to hold upwards of 6ml of juice. It looks a bit big but that is because I wanted to use heavy walled pyrex tubing, so that it is a strong as possible. Pyrex tubing that is the same size as the polycarbonate tubing that comes standard on these tanks would shatter on the first drop.

If anyone else is trying to make glass tanks out of pyrex, and has any question about it please ask me. I have been working with pyrex for 6 years so I know the answers to most of the problems you would most likely come across.

I will upload some pictures and would welcome any feedback on the new tanks.

IMAG0172.jpg IMAG0174.jpg

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Nice, I have opted for Pyrex also, here is my cutting process since I am a metal guy and not a glass guy :)
It took me 7 different attemps before I got a process down that can cut the pyrex perfectly. Since I do not have glass blowing capabilities I can not fire polish the ends. So I opt for using 1000-4000 grit sand paper and a water to finish the ends. I also use a 45 degree grinding stone to slightly bevel the inside lip of the pyrex tube and then wet sand it. Well here is my process :)

Again, Great job!
Dan

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
Scuba when you post people learn something,thanks that was interesting. Have you tried lapping film to smooth metal or glass? Its usually used for sharpening but it is silicon carbide sandpaper bonded to a plastic backing. Lasts a lot longer than the standard paper backed wet sanding paper most people use. I love the lapping film on a granite surface or plate glass. I can polish anything flat or lap it to make it flat. I lap parts to make them fit tight. I also sharpen chisels,planes and kitchen knives to an unbelievable edge. I lap flat parts that are to be silver soldered together for a very precise finished product.

b06gordo

Unregistered Supplier
Jun 3, 2012
Peoria Il
Mrgreen, yes if you have a wet saw available, this would be the quickest, and easiest way to cut the tubing. That's how i cut all my pyrex tubes, with a diamond blade made for cutting glass. Scubabatdan has come up with an ingenious way to cut it with the tools he has available, and the finished product look awesome (well done Dan). Thanks for the link on the brass end caps, that is exactly what I would like to create for my glass tanks.

BTW I used 26mm X 4.0mm tubing, and it fit the delrin end caps perfectly. The hardest part of the project was finding the right sized tube, and we have many different sizes on hand. What size tubing did you use in the Video Dan? it looks smaller but that could just be an illusion.

If either of you want some cut and (flame) polished pyrex "blanks" for DIY tanks let me know, I'm not trying to make money or sell anything.... They are so quick and easy for me to make I will send some out for free.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Mrgreen, yes if you have a wet saw available, this would be the quickest, and easiest way to cut the tubing. That's how i cut all my pyrex tubes, with a diamond blade made for cutting glass. Scubabatdan has come up with an ingenious way to cut it with the tools he has available, and the finished product look awesome (well done Dan). Thanks for the link on the brass end caps, that is exactly what I would like to create for my glass tanks.

BTW I used 26mm X 4.0mm tubing, and it fit the delrin end caps perfectly. The hardest part of the project was finding the right sized tube, and we have many different sizes on hand. What size tubing did you use in the Video Dan? it looks smaller but that could just be an illusion.

If either of you want some cut and (flame) polished pyrex "blanks" for DIY tanks let me know, I'm not trying to make money or sell anything.... They are so quick and easy for me to make I will send some out for free.

Yes it was smaller, the tubing is 1/8" thick wall 13mmID x 19mmOD or 1/2ID x 3/4OD
Thanks MrGreen, will have to look for some lapping material, great info.
I might take you up on that offer. Flame polished is so much nicer.
Holy crap I just noticed your location LOL Peoria IL... I grew up in Princeville, and my parents, sister and brother still live there LOL Cool...
Dan

Gummy Bear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
orlando fl
agummybear.deviantart.com
Great vid Dan.
If it helps any, a 1 gal. milk jug with the water setting it above the work piece and some small aquarium tubing to siphon the water from the jug and a small clamp on the tubing to control the drip rate. toss in a few wooden cloths pins to mount the tube just above the glass and wala you have both hands free. One to feed the lathe and one to vape with while it's cutting.

b06gordo

Unregistered Supplier
Jun 3, 2012
Peoria Il
Hey Gordo you being a glass blower my know this... a friend told me I can just score the pyrex tubing and it will snap really easy... I have been thinking about ordering some to do this... is it that easy or should I get a wetsaw

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You will want to use a wet saw IMO. It is very true that you can score pyrex tubing but It will most likely not come out as clean of an edge as you would like. Hope this helps....

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Great vid Dan.
If it helps any, a 1 gal. milk jug with the water setting it above the work piece and some small aquarium tubing to siphon the water from the jug and a small clamp on the tubing to control the drip rate. toss in a few wooden cloths pins to mount the tube just above the glass and wala you have both hands free. One to feed the lathe and one to vape with while it's cutting.

That is what I had, but I did not have it mounted, was working free hand LOL, since then I had a ECF member send me a air/water magnetic mount so I can send a blast of compressed air/water mix at the exact point of contact. It uses less water and the air helps to keep it alot cooler.
Thanks for the sugestions!
Dan

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
Dan has nice toys. Only slightly jealous. I so want a metal lathe. Woodcraft has nice cheap granite surface plates around 12" by 18" I use for lapping. They are 30.00 I think at woodcraft.com. I buy lapping film online and use it for lapping steel, brass aluminum or even glass if you buy lapping film thats silicon carbide. Works best wet so it wont clog easily. Its also great for sharpening but be careful it makes a edge like I've never seen. If you google scary sharp you should come up with a supplier and maybe a youtube video of the process. Any plate glass 1/4" or thicker works well also. I bought a granite scrap on craigslist thats 24" by 36" and made a lapping/sharpening table using it. Any super flat polished surface works. The water will hold the lapping film in place. I add a drop or two of soap which acts as a lubricant and further helps to not clog the sandpaper/film. You can even do this to resurface a small cylinder head for a lawnmower and things of that nature. Im amazed at how often I lap something so thought I would share the basic idea. Don't want to interfere with the original thread.

hitman4274

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2012
south west florida
I got two of these tanks in, threw my dct end caps on one and its just awesome, its a total overhaul to my set up, aesthetics and use.

Check out the attached image for the stainless end caps.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342569240608.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342569240608.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 203

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
I've used some diamond dremel tools from Harbor Freight to make cuts in Absolut bottles back when my computer was water cooled. It made a great little reservoir. The tool set was cheap and worked great on a dremel. I was suprised at how easy the glass was to work with. Pyrex is probably tougher but I'm sure the diamonds can handle it. I can't find the exact kit I had but it was like a combo of these two:

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-piece-diamond-mounted-point-set-36252.html

and

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-diamond-mini-cutting-discs-31501.html

The thinner disks cut better but the other bits would be good for getting the edge how you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread