Making your own DIY salt nic with benzoic acid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I take my hat off to your chemistry skills. Personally I wouldn't trust myself to do this, especially not as the product would be going in my lungs.
You could do this easily and the results theoretically would be no different to buying nicotine benzoate from a nicotine supplier.

I'll let you know what it tastes like after a steep. Your worries are slightly irrational IMO :)

• Optimistic
Reactions: sonicbomb

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I'd probably end up looking like this

mgLUMoj.jpg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I'll let you know what it tastes like after a steep. Your worries are slightly irrational IMO :)

What are the potential Hazards of vaping Benzoic Acid if say someone was to try to make a nicotine salt and for some reason things Didn't go as planned?

And besides a ph Test, are there any other Method to Determine if the desired results have been achieved?

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
What are the potential Hazards of vaping Benzoic Acid if say someone was to try to make a Nicotine Salt and for some reason things Didn't go as planned?
I guess you're playing devil's advocate here? But to answer your question if the steps here are followed carefully then it is unlikely that anything will go wrong. Nicotine ditartrate, benzoate and others have been added to cigarettes by BT so I guess the hazards are lower than the combustive chemicals ingested from cigarettes...tar, carbon monoxide, benzene.

Just to note benzoic acid has absolutely no relationship with benzene (a well know carcinogen and all round nasty substance). The only similar part is maybe the ''benz''. Worth noting here as I am sure that is what some of us do :)

Further more benzoic acid is used as a food preservative and its toxicity is very low to humans so no reason to get unduly worried about vaping it, especially in the very low quantities that it is found in a nic salt eliquid :)

And besides a ph Test, are there any other Method to Determine if the desired results have been achieved?

Not unless you have a mass spectrometer. As nicotine benzoate is an alkaline it can't be titrated but the ph test is a very good indication that the chemical is present. Furthermore the colour change from the immediate look of the mixed solutions is a good indicator of chemical change.

Again in my view the danger is no higher than vaping any other commercial substance in fact you could argue that it is safer as you will know exactly what went into it. I hope this answers your question.

Good luck to you :)

Reactions: sonicbomb

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I guess you're playing devil's advocate here? But to answer your question if the steps here are followed carefully then it is unlikely that anything will go wrong. Nicotine ditartrate, benzoate and others have been added to cigarettes by BT so I guess the hazards are lower than the combustive chemicals ingested from cigarettes...tar, carbon monoxide, benzene.

Just to note benzoic acid has absolutely no relationship with benzene (a well know carcinogen and all round nasty substance). The only similar part is maybe the ''benz''. Worth noting here as I am sure that is what some of us do :)

Further more benzoic acid is used as a food preservative and its toxicity is very low to humans so no reason to get unduly worried about vaping it, especially in the very low quantities that it is found in a nic salt eliquid :)

No... Just asking a Straight Question because I Don't know.

And if one is going to Make something via a Chemical Process and then Inhale it, I would think that it would be a Good Question to Ask.

When it comes to DIY, I have seen on the ECF just about every manor of Screw Up, Incorrect Math, Inaccurate Measuring, and General Confusion you can Image. So it doesn't seem all that out of the ordinary that someone might try to do something like you are Doing and then Do It Wrong.

Hence my Question.

:)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not unless you have a mass spectrometer. As nicotine benzoate is an alkaline it can't be titrated but the ph test is a very good indication that the chemical is present. Furthermore the colour change from the immediate look of the mixed solutions is a good indicator of chemical change.

Again in my view the danger is no higher than vaping any other commercial substance in fact you could argue that it is safer as you will know exactly what went into it. I hope this answers your question.

Good luck to you :)

That is what kinda as I understand it.

So if I start with 100mg/ml 100% PG Nicotine Base, what ph Change should I be looking for?

And is there a Linear Relationship of ph Change to Percentage of Reaction that has occurred?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Years ago(well before the craze of current nic salt usage) there was a vendor in Vermont that used this method only he would use 20% dw to initially dilute the crystals(not entirely sure atm if he use the BA or citric acid(CA). Everyone raved about how his ejuice was the best ever. Of course his recipe was not disclosed until he went out of business and retired then he released a few of his secrets. Actually @mikepetro may know a lot more about this than I.

I tried the nic salts smooth from Nicotine River when it first came out and was very disturbed by the amount of crystals that were visible not only in the nic solution but ultimately showing up in the finished ejuice product. I see the same sediment in the bottom of your bottle in the pic you posted. When vaped it was very harsh on my throat(not the smooth it should have been) What are your thoughts/suggestions on this?

Thanks

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Years ago(well before the craze of current nic salt usage) there was a vendor in Vermont that used this method only he would use 20% dw to initially dilute the crystals(not entirely sure atm if he use the BA or citric acid(CA). Everyone raved about how his ejuice was the best ever. Of course his recipe was not disclosed until he went out of business and retired then he released a few of his secrets. Actually @mikepetro may know a lot more about this than I.

I tried the nic salts smooth from Nicotine River when it first came out and was very disturbed by the amount of crystals that were visible not only in the nic solution but ultimately showing up in the finished ejuice product. I see the same sediment in the bottom of your bottle in the pic you posted. When vaped it was very harsh on my throat(not the smooth it should have been) What are your thoughts/suggestions on this?

Thanks
Citric Acid.....

Nicotine Comparisons

They have closed the site down now, but the recipe above was direct copy/paste from the Vermont Vapor site.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014

Thanks
There are no sedimentary crystals or other in the bottle. That's a trick of the light but thanks for the insight into salt liquid experience because I have zero. The first time I try the liquid I made will be the first time for me.

I'll definitely report good or bad when I do. @Letitia may be able to comment as I know that she uses salts a lot?

With regard to your experience I would suggest that it was made incorrectly at the wrong ratio. But I will certainly be keeping my eyes open for any recristallisation :)

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
No... Just asking a Straight Question because I Don't know.

And if one is going to Make something via a Chemical Process and then Inhale it, I would think that it would be a Good Question to Ask.

When it comes to DIY, I have seen on the ECF just about every manor of Screw Up, Incorrect Math, Inaccurate Measuring, and General Confusion you can Image. So it doesn't seem all that out of the ordinary that someone might try to do something like you are Doing and then Do It Wrong.

Hence my Question.

Yes great question...I didn't mean to put you off :)

Reactions: Letitia

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
That is what kinda as I understand it.

So if I start with 100mg/ml 100% PG Nicotine Base, what ph Change should I be looking for?

And is there a Linear Relationship of ph Change to Percentage of Reaction that has occurred?
In the base you mention it should test as acidic and after the chemical process has occurred it should come back towards neutral.

I am not an expert so can't provide you with a baseline to work from except if you think about it logically you start with an acidic solution and then end up with a near neutral solution so one can assume that there are some molecules which haven't turned into nicotine benzoate which would result in an alkaline reading.

So with my (not necessarily perfect) logic one can assume that all the original benzoic acid has reacted and turned into nicotine benzoic...I hope this makes sense :)

So the ratio is very important at 3:4 BA to nic base.

Reactions: Letitia

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Ok...I caved in after nearly a weeks steep and decided to try my salt nic strawberry flavoured liquid this morning when I got up so my nic levels were at their lowest. I'm going to start a new thread entitled ''Trying the homemade 36mg/ml Nic Salts after one weeks steep''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread