Making your own E-juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat Eyez

ECF Veteran
So I'm really curious about doing this, but I'm a little apprehensive about working with the nicotine for starters, plus, I've never been all that great at chemistry and wonder if you have to be a wiz at that sort of thing to be successful in making your own e juice. Anyone who's not a "veteran" tried it out? :confused:

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
all veterans try it out at some point. Its easier now then it was 2-3 years ago. there is a app called e-juice me up which you can even save your recipes and will be able to pull up the ml of each ingredient. much better then what I did back then by writing in a note book like a mad person. You can also find a ton of cool recipes doing a google search and browse endless wonders of flavor combo's. I also like the todd muller online app as well for just a quick reference on a new recipe I havent saved. both apps have input fields of startin/ending nic, pg/vg ratios and flavors and tell you how much to add.

what you would need to get stated would a nic base in either pg or vg, pg, vg, flavorings, mixing bottles, syringes, gloves. My go to place is wizardlabs.us as they carry everything you pretty much need to get started and continue unless you seek a flavoring they dont carry. Starting out I would recommend 24-36 mg nic. its always better to start with lower nic to avoid the dangers of accidents when starting out.

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
I've started DIY eliquid. I too was worried about the complexity of the "chemistry." However, if you can follow a cooking recipe correctly, you can make eliquid. I'm only doing unflavored right now (mixing 100mg/ml nic base into PG/VG) just to get my feet wet with the measuring, mixing, etc.

I was most worried about working with the high nic base and getting down to the 10-12mg/ml strength I'm aiming for. But really, just go slow, measure things out slowly and separately. Check, double check, then mix all ingredients together. Easy, safe, and correct.

If you're still unsure about working with the nic, places like Wizard Labs (they're my go-to source for nicotine) carry pre-diluted nicotine base at 12, 18, or I think 24mg strengths. Ordering those levels can be a little less intimidating. If you "screw" up a recipe working with, say, 18mg/ml base, you'll only have bad tasting juice, not poison.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
Start simple. Try a flavor that doesn't need anything but itself added for your first try. Most flavors can stand on their own. As mentioned above there are places to find recipes that you can follow which will make it easy to do as well. When i started I went head long into it using 100mg nic to cut down to 18 & 16. It was easy to do with the calculator. I'm not advising anyone to do what I did, to each their own. I did it for economic purposes. Once you have 5 posts you can go to the DIY forum and read the sticky. There are several vets there who have "how to" blogs that are very helpful once you get to feeling more comfortable and want to venture out a bit. I will way this, when you get your syringes coat the markings with 3-4 coats of clear nail polish so they won't wear off. You'll be able to reuse them and save $$$$. Good luck! Happy Vaping! :vapor:

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
Oh, and you can always use a e-liquid calculator to tell you exactly how much of what to use. I also use syringes to measure the liquids, I find it more accurate than counting the drops method. Too often different sellers have dropper caps that dispense different size drops. Just fyi.

Yes, this. I could never rely on "39 drops" + "27 drops" + etc. Blunt-tip syringes that measure fractions of a ml (They can be found in 1, 3, up to 5ml total capacities) are far easier to use than eye droppers.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
If your really interested in making your own juice. Stop by the DIY section of the forum and do a little reading/research there. There is a ton of valuable information and a lot of helpful people there. By the way I make my own juice and I think it's as good or better than anything I've ever bought. Good Luck :toast:

Cheers,
Steve

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Last edited:

Kat Eyez

ECF Veteran
all veterans try it out at some point. Its easier now then it was 2-3 years ago. there is a app called e-juice me up which you can even save your recipes and will be able to pull up the ml of each ingredient. much better then what I did back then by writing in a note book like a mad person. You can also find a ton of cool recipes doing a google search and browse endless wonders of flavor combo's. I also like the todd muller online app as well for just a quick reference on a new recipe I havent saved. both apps have input fields of startin/ending nic, pg/vg ratios and flavors and tell you how much to add.

what you would need to get stated would a nic base in either pg or vg, pg, vg, flavorings, mixing bottles, syringes, gloves. My go to place is wizardlabs.us as they carry everything you pretty much need to get started and continue unless you seek a flavoring they dont carry. Starting out I would recommend 24-36 mg nic. its always better to start with lower nic to avoid the dangers of accidents when starting out.

Very helpful Deleon! I love that they have apps now! How awesome is that?! Thanks for the advice!

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
If you can make a glass of chocolate milk or a gin and tonic, one can make juice. Handling Nic base is no big deal, just wear latex gloves when measuring the nic. I measure out the pg,vg, and flavor extract first, then put on the gloves to measure and dispense the Nic base last. Check out the DIY juice sub forum for tips and tricks. Wizard labs is where I purchase all my DIY supplies. Great prices, and mass savings, no more waiting for juice to show up.

ericm12121977

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Tulsa, OK
You've all been very helpful! I'm def going to try it out and see where it goes. About how much am I looking at to get started? I'll need pretty much everything. I saw a chemistry set somewhere for pretty reasonably priced...Is that a must in DIY e juices?

You don't need an entire chemistry set. It really depends on what you need as far as flavors. I have almost 100 flavors as I love to just experiment. But to start, your Nic is going to be the most expensive item, you need some syringes to measure the liquid, I don't use needles but pipettes are also great to have and they are cheap plus if you cut the end off of the pipette it works great as a needle for the end of your syringe. The PG and VG are so cheap and easily accessible even in your local WallyWorld (Wal-Mart). But to get started I would budget around 60-100 dollars. Good cheap boston bottles for your juice can be found for cheap as well. if you need some links just let us know, we can bombard you with links for places to purchase things. I personally use RTSvapes but wizard labs for the nic if you can find it in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread