Massachusetts town weighs nation's 1st tobacco ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
Town health agent Elizabeth Swedberg said a ban seemed like a sensible solution to a vexing problem.

"The tobacco companies are really promoting products to hook young people," she said, pointing to 69-cent bubblegum-flavored cigars, electronic cigarettes and a new form of dissolvable smokeless tobacco that resembles Tic Tac candies. "The board was getting frustrated trying to keep up with this."

Massachusetts town weighs nation's 1st tobacco ban

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Obviously I'm not going to read this, as I decided that slamming my head against a wall was no longer a good idea.
But I'm interested to see where this goes, which I seriously hope is NOWHERE.

Where it (tobacco business) will go, is the next town over and the town itself will lose business, revenue, and likely some jobs - which the town council will blame on something else.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Obviously I'm not going to read this, as I decided that slamming my head against a wall was no longer a good idea.
But I'm interested to see where this goes, which I seriously hope is NOWHERE.

The good news is in the comment section - the vast majority seem to understand that it's a move to take away personal freedom. That's refreshing!

slumdog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
South Florida & NYC The Village
Just make possession of tobacco products a stiffer penalty for those under 21, no biggie, take the same stance as alcohol or drugs, lump em all together how hard is it. these council members are trying to control something that is uncontrollable. an adult will do what they want when they want to spite laws, just take a look at the over crowded prison situation, people will be people..... maybe extreme laws for parents that let their child smoke, 30 days for the adult, in house treatment for drug abuse for the child.. mandatory.... jeez people use your heads.. rant over thanks bunches.....

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
I wonder if they will ban the sale of nicorette?

This is howling at the moon. When I lived on the Ohio side of the river, I drove to Kentucky where cigarettes were cheaper. In Kansas, I drove to the Indian stores. You don't prevent smoking with these laws...you just lose sales and burden your citizens.

This is EXACTLY correct. All one has to do is look at New York City, where cigarettes are taxed to the gills. The black market for cigarettes there is big business. Or southern New Jerseywhere ther are regular 'runs' to bordering Pennsylvania for cigarettes. (In NYC tho, there are just multitudes of people that just buy locally 'once in a while' at the posted prices when they are desperate for a fix, that it still very likely pays to continue the heavy taxes. As skeptical as I have become, I gotta believe that this factor was heavily and carefully considered as part of the overall tax calculations.)

Last edited:

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
Sorry to go so far off-topic, but did you all catch THESE in the article that the guy sells in his store?:
"fresh-baked maple-candied bacon chocolate chip cookies that are displayed by the check-out aisle."

BACON!! in the chocolate-chip COOKIES!!!! (I wonder if he sells them online????) Hmmmmmm, maple candy, bacon and chocolate chip! Yummmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyy! These have GOT to be good! Or maybe a similar ejuice............hmmmmmmm. :p:vapor:

Last edited:

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
Do you think the board of health got the message... I doubt it. A loud crowd expressing disgust = a riot? :facepalm:

Westminster Tobacco Ban Meeting Cut Short After Crowd Becomes Unruly « CBS Boston
Unruly Crowd Shuts Down Westminster Tobacco Ban Meeting - Massachusetts news - Boston.com

The good news is a lot of people seem to get it in the comments.

BTW - I may make a trip out just to get those cookies - yum!

There's a limit to how much tyranny people will tolerate. The amazing thing is that the people who proposed this ordinance didn't understand perfectly well that this was going to be the result. I guess that's what happens when you spend too much time ensconced in the ivory towers of "public health."

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Excellent result, IMO. Its clear to me that "health" commission wasn't going to listen to rational dissenting opinion. This way, they were forced to face the will of the people. And the people made it loud and clear they want freedom not arbitrary and capricious govt interference with lawful personal or business choices.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Done and over. In case anyone missed it, NECN reported tonight that the Town's "health thing" - or whatever they call it - has withdrawn the proposed ban and shelved it.

emily-litella.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread