Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirometry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2014
New Orleans
Thanks for your input guys.

I'm also realising that the SX Mini has an eficiency of 93% that must be taken into account.

I'm just trying to ascertain the max A required to operate the SX Mini with temp control. Right now my estimate is root(50/0.15)/0.93=19.6A.

Could someone help me on this?
Your math is all based on using a mech mod. The Mini is a regulated mod.

Watts + inefficiency of the chip / low voltage cut-off of the device = max amps

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    What about these? Anyone running them?

Aspire - Aspire 18650 Battery

Are they available yet? If so, I would love to do some 40A tests on these cells!

[edit] i should mention that NO ONE should try to test these cells at that high a rate in their mod! I have been testing cells for years and will be doing it in controlled conditions with an electronic load, temperature monitoring, and a ceramic cloth lined (very well vented) metal box.

Last edited:

refuzeandrezizt

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 6, 2015
    Western, KY
    Are they available yet? If so, I would love to do some 40A tests on these cells!

[edit] i should mention that NO ONE should try to test these cells at that high a rate in their mod! I will be doing it in controlled conditions with an electronic load, temperature monitoring, and a ceramic cloth lined (very well vented) metal box.

Using vapeCrawler I was able to locate a few online places that sell them. Seem to be around $12 to $15. I'd be interested in the results of said test, for sure.

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Using vapeCrawler I was able to locate a few online places that sell them. Seem to be around $12 to $15. I'd be interested in the results of said test, for sure.

Thank you! I checked last week but came up empty. I'll check again.
    And I'll definitely post my results. :)

refuzeandrezizt

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 6, 2015
    Western, KY
    UK e-cig offers this battery with the Yihi SX-Mini

Vaping Outlaws Vape Cell 18650 22A 2500mAh Battery

Looks like it's a perfect fit?

If it truly is what they say it is, seems it would be a good fit. I know these purple Efest that I use are really only about 20amps, and I've never had an issue. But, if I was one that liked to build ridiculously low, I wouldn't be using these for sure.

goofy2302

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 13, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    I've had the sx mini m class for about a month and my builds average 0.08 on nickel
    I use three types of batts in the m class.....he2/he4 and samsung 25r....never had any issues with either even at 50j...my normal vaping is about 30j. All batteries last more than a day....when chain vaping.
    I dont remember anyone mentioning it but if you want to use OCC coils the only mini that will suport those is the sx mini m class

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: jmercury1

PeterWar

Apr 15, 2015
    Girona, Spain
    I dont remember anyone mentioning it but if you want to use OCC coils the only mini that will suport those is the sx mini m class

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Indeed, I just bought a Yihi SX Mini M class with the kanger subtank mini v2 and some OCC Nickel coils with a resistance rated at 0.15ohm.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Agreed that we should be aware that Efest bateries are rewaps. Due to that fact, I prefer to trust the "originals".

I also knowledge that continuous discharge should be the preferred unit of measure when comparing batteries, but I'm wandering if the new temp control mods change that paradigm.

My reasoning being that NI-200 wire has a positive temperature coeficient so the resistance will go higher as the coil heats up, hence decreasing the max A.

Also, when operating the Yihi SXMini with powerfu+ feature it will only hit 85W for a short period of time and then gradualy decrease to 60W as the coil heats up, hence also decreasing the max A needed.

So maybe pulse rating would proof to be a valid unit of measure to assess the safety of batteries to be used on the SXMini?
    imho all replaceable battery mod manufacturers should clearly specify the acceptable battery specifications for their device.

Last edited:

jseah

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 16, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY, USA
    Hello eveyone,

I've been vaping with an istick 30W for about a month and I'm ready for the next step, I'm about to buy a Yihi SX Mini.

Could you please recommend some good batteries? my primary concerns are safety (obviously) and battery life.

I plan to use it with Kanger subtank OCC Nickel coils that are rated at 0.15ohm.

If I remember correctly, the SX Mini peaks at 85W in powerfu+ mode. If I'm doing the math correcly I'll be wanting to look for batteries that are rated 24A at least (square root(85/0.15)= 23.8)

Am I doing the math correctly? I assume the variable resistance of NI-200 wire must influence the required power somehow, I just want to be on the safe side.

I find that my istick battery runs out quite quickly when vaping over 20W. It has an internal battery ratted at 2200 mAh. So I'm looking for better capability,

So far my best find has been the LG HE2 18650 Battery rated at 35A with a capability of 2500 mAh.

Thank you in advance for your repply!

You don't need a battery that high. While the SX Mini maxes out at 85 watts, that is in Power mode which is for non-TC coils. In TC mode, it maxes out at 50 joules (which is roughly equivalent to 50 watts). I'm using 20A Samsung 25R's in mine and don't have any issues with it.

PeterWar

Apr 15, 2015
    Girona, Spain
    You don't need a battery that high. While the SX Mini maxes out at 85 watts, that is in Power mode which is for non-TC coils. In TC mode, it maxes out at 50 joules (which is roughly equivalent to 50 watts). I'm using 20A Samsung 25R's in mine and don't have any issues with it.

Great to know JSeah! How much joules are you getting from that battery?

jseah

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 16, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY, USA
    I honestly never really pay attention to how long the batteries last me. I recently started using Orbtronics SX30's in my SX Mini. They are 30 amp 2100 mah batteries. Yesterday I happened to vape until the the battery level dropped to where it would no longer fire (but the display still worked fine). When I looked at the joule counter, it showed just under 26,000 joules (the first digit in the joule counter is tenths so I think you need to drop a digit from your counts). When I threw the battery onto the charger, it registered at 3.27 volts.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    There's a thread somewhere on here with testing that shows they can barely manage 15a, let alone 40a.

That's when they're in a holder inside a device though, where the temperature is hotter and the holder adds voltage drops. Bench tests with low resistance connections are being done now to determine a CDR that can be used to directly compare with other cell CDR's (which, presumably, were tested with low resistance setups).

PeterWar

Apr 15, 2015
    Girona, Spain
    I honestly never really pay attention to how long the batteries last me. I recently started using Orbtronics SX30's in my SX Mini. They are 30 amp 2100 mah batteries. Yesterday I happened to vape until the the battery level dropped to where it would no longer fire (but the display still worked fine). When I looked at the joule counter, it showed just under 26,000 joules (the first digit in the joule counter is tenths so I think you need to drop a digit from your counts). When I threw the battery onto the charger, it registered at 3.27 volts.
    Indeed Jseah, I'm getting arround 15k-20k, apologies for the mistake.

26k Joules is quite a nice result, which coils are you using?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread