Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I guess you just have to feel the temperature of your topper yourself to determine that; how hot it gets depends on your wire gauge.

use steam engine and plug in different wattages to see when it goes green (that will be around 200 watts/mm2)
Kanthal A1
gauge ----- watt per ohm (per coil) for 200mW/mm2
34 ----- 1.4
32 ----- 3
30 ----- 6
28 ----- 10
26 ----- 23
24 ----- 45
22 ----- 91
20 ----- 182

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Current might be a more intuitive way of thinking about it.

gauge ----- current (Amps) for 200mW/mm2
34 ----- 1.2
32 ----- 1.7
30 ----- 2.4
28 ----- 3
26 ----- 5
24 ----- 7
22 ----- 10
20 ----- 13

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Using a Sigelei 150w mod and a Stillaire. Resistance is .4 (dual coil). Vaping 70/30 6 mg. What's the max wattage I should be aware of?

I also use the Steam Engine coil building calculator for these design decisions. Here it is set up for Kanthal A1, 26 gauge,
dual coils, 0.4 ohms, 2.5mm inner diameter of coil and on the right side in the 'Results' box by 'Heat flux' I entered 60 watts. Yuo'll see the heat flux will be 332 mW/mm² (miliwatts per square mm of coil area). I would find that heat flux a bit low for my taste and would probably prefer the vape between 70-75 watts with heat flux of 390-415, but that is just my preference and you might like this setup at less than 60 watts. What I can tell you is that when taking lung hits, it will not burn juice at up to 75 watts.

Dropping the watts (beside heat flux) back to 60 and changing the wire gauge to 24 give us a heat flux of 166 which would be a lousy vape for me. Turning up the watts I see a good vape for me between 140-150 watts with the heat flux between 386-414.

Once you know the heat flux you like to vape at with any type of atty if you set up the build for the watts you want to vape at and that heat flux you should get pretty much what you expect. I've gone as high as 450 in heat flux but that gets close to burning juice so I try to stay below about 420. I find with open air flow attys and lung hits that never burns juice even with gunked up coils. Again, this is my preference and you might like it lower, but at least you know what I've found about the high end of the scale.

Wern314

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
[emoji121][emoji121] Ryedan's post above is spot on concerning heat flux. Once you understand how to use it and knowing your preferred vaping heat flux it really takes your vaping experience to the next level. For me I started rebuilding coils using a mechanical mod and I had many frustrations at first. Once I learned about heat flux I was no longer building useless coils. It made building coils so much easier.

I personally prefer a cooler vape setting my wattage for a heat flux between 200-250. Here's a steam engine setup using same coil parameters Ryedan used above but setup for my preference . http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.4&hfnw=45&awg=26&id=2.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ph0kused

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Orange County, CA, USA
I daily vape with my Sigelei 150w with a Cartel Stillare v3 (native 3-coil RDA) at the following settings:

26g G-Plat

3 coils -
6 wraps -
around a 2.4mm drill bit

All my wraps come out to .15 - .19ohm range

I pleasantly vape at 80w

If I want to show off or cloud chase I'll kick it up to 95w, nothing higher needed really for the stillare v3 - then its just about lung capacity and heat flux..

My old cloud chasing setup was a Brass Cartel Mod w/ Stillare V3 - I never thought I'd be able to beat this setup, but I can cloud chase longer, more efficiently with my Sigelei... but I still love, love, love my Cartel Mod.... it has everything I love, sleek looks, recessed firing button, no stupid locking rings, silver plated contacts, etc.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread