Status
Not open for further replies.

cos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2009
St Petersburg Florida
Hi I am very new to modding. Does anyone know how i can see what voltage i am vaping exactly. can i use a multimeter or do i have to set up some kind of gizmo to hook up to the PV connector? Thanks for any info. All you folks are totally amazing on how much you know about all this stuff. Happy vaping
Cos

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
Usually when people talk about voltage they are talking about the batteries rated voltage, so you can check that with a multimeter. Most 3.7v devices are somewhere around 4.2v when fully charged. Depending on your multimeter, you will do it differently. With mine, I set it to DC 20v and put the neg to the neg end of the battery and the positive to the + end of the battery. Checking resistance on your atty is done in much the same way. Set your multimeter to ohms, the symbol looks I dunno, kinda like headphones or something, place the negative end on say the thread area, and the positive end on the center post.

HexKrak

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Phoenix
If you have a complicated circuit you can measure with a voltmeter (or multimeter) off the atty connector (one lead to the middle, one to the outside). If you want to measure voltage under load you'll have to connect there in parallel using either one of those cool voltmeter mods that bigblu drafted for us, or just attach to the same wires your atty connector attaches to. The voltage read when an atty is not connected will be higher than when "under load" or with an atty connected.

Easy answer, get a multimeter.
Awesome answer, make one of those mod volt readers, or even better wire one directly into your mod.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
EDIT:

If you just want to see basic voltage, measure quickly as above at the atty connector. If the battery is freshly charged, it gives you a "starting condition" of a battery. For a direct PT, it will tell you the volts. I think the meter is fairly high impedance (megaohms) while measuring voltage. May depend on the meter. For amperage, though, the protected battery can decide that is is shorted and self-destruct, cut off, whatever. I haven't had one do that, but I don't go around shorting them either.

If you want to watch it (volts or amps) as you vape (much more interesting over time):

END EDIT

Gizmo. With a MM. Basic idea while vaping under load (which is your question I think)....

Voltage can be measured between any two points without changing the circuit. However, amperage is measured in-circuit (you have to break the circuit and insert the meter). The meter must be able to handle the amps.

This is hard to explain without a picture. The electricity flows through the meter as one of the connections, either the positive center, or the outer negative ground. The gizmo is used to "break" one connection or the other and allow you to "insert" the meter in circuit. This allows you to measure amps. Your meter probably had instructions on this. See online as well. Lots of stuff available on electronics and DMM use.

Insert a gizmo between your regular atty setup and the battery connector on your device. The gizmo simply has a gap that the DMM is used to fill. This gives you a dynamic readout of amperage.... The DMM has a minor resistance, but it should be insignificant with the amount of current we use for vaping. Note that amount of current can "blow" a meter (fuse) unless you use the proper amp setting... see your user's manual.

Let's say the center connector doesn't connect but the outside still does. This can be accomplished with two insulated wires ( insulated so they don't bridge the outer ground connection) sticking up through the shell of the gizmo and allowing you to attach a meter. Or you could have the center connected and not have the outer shell connected (plastic threads??) and bridge the outside with the meter. The DMM connects the gap and the amps are measured with the DMM. The atty would only work when the DMM is connected. The meter does NOT CONNECT the center positive to the outer shell-ground. It bridges the gap in EITHER one or the other.

I think someone (or more) has such a connector they use to take readings dynamically during testing. I'm not sure what they used to build it. EDIT: see/search this forum. HexKrak indicates that bigblue30 has some info.... he answered while I was typing this.

The gizmo is needed because it was my understanding that you wanted to watch the meter as you vape. It will give you connection points. You may not need a gizmo for voltage only, just 2 points to measure. But that's only 1/2 the story. The amperage and voltage will change over time.

Be careful with this... check for shorts. Shorting a battery without a resistor for any length of time (crossing the streams) is a bad thing. :)

Remember this??? <Ghostbusters>
Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Edit again:

P.S.
The interesting thing is that "what voltage you are vaping at" is different over time as the battery is depleted. Amperage changes too. Also, different batteries or power sources may provide different amperes even at the same voltage. Without knowing why you are asking the question, it's hard to explain, as it changes over time with a battery. May not change much with a direct connection.

I'm tired..... Good luck.

Last edited:

BobTheKlown

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2010
Red Oak, Tx
No offense to Attypops, his was a very, very good technical description, but I only just understood it enough to follow along because of all the electronic jargon I've picked up over the last 2 weeks, learning how to do all this stuff... This is the best way I could explain in to someone with little experiance:
My black probe is straight to the side of my batt connector (-) and my red probe is on the + wire just before it goes to (or just after it comes from, technically) the center post. With the atty connected, when I press the button, I get V under load. With no atty, when I press the button, I get V unloaded.

2eusozk.jpg

As Attypops points out, if you want to monitor the V as you vape, you will need an inline volt-meter. You need the 1S, not the 2S, voltage indicator if you plan on building yourself one (I'm waiting on mine to come in from China).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread