Measuring questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlantisboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
USA
I am looking for advice in accurately measuring small increments such as 1.16 , I am new to DIY and am using a !ml syringe with an 16 gauge needle. I am filling it to 1ml and then trying to measure out .16 which isn't easy and does not seem very accurate.

Is their a better way of doing this ?

What does everyone else do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am enjoying doing DIY but am finding it hard to get consistent measurements .

Thank you.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the replies.

Salem are you saying there its not going to make much difference to the recipe measuring 1.20 instead of 1.16?

Also how come no needle? Apologies if this sounds dumb but won't all the liquid fall out if you don't use a needle?

The difference between 1.16 and 1.0, for ejuice purposes, isn't that big of a deal.

For example, if you were measuring out 1.16 ml of 100 mg/ml nicotine to make 10 ml of juice:

(1.2 ml x 100 mg/ml)/10 ml = 12 mg/ml
(1.16ml x 100 mg/ml)/10 ml = 11.6 mg/ml
(1.0 ml x 100 mg/ml)/10 ml = 10 mg/ml

12 versus 11.6 versus 10, that's within expected measurement errors. Using syringes as a measuring tool, even if you take the time to measure out what you think is exactly 1.16, you just can't be that accurate and are just as likely to be at 12.1 mg/ml or 9.9 mg/ml, etc...

I worked in a lab, and to measure small volumes like this so precisely you have to use special pipettors (we used micro pipettors that cost hundreds to thousands of dollars). You could get glass pipettors with more accurate markings, but it isn't really necessary for our purposes.

Last edited:

Clovery

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
new jersey
The juice won't fall out if there's no needle - the plunger of the syringe creates suction which holds the liquid inside. If you pull the plunger all the way out, then the liquid will fall out.

I was thinking about the volume of the needle itself and of the tip of the syringe when I was measuring really small amounts of flavoring (like 0.06 mL) for 3 mL batches of juice. I decided it couldn't matter that much :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread