mech mod on-the-go safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Chicago, Illinois, United States
I have a nemesis coming and I had a few questions... I read somewhere that there are special safety considerations for a mechanical if you're out and about...like never putting it in contact with keys in your pocket, for example. I also heard there are special ways to store a battery for on-the-go use. I was planning on using an 18350 for stealth so I'll probably need a spare battery, what's the safest way to carry it with me?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Safest way to carry a spare battery or two would be a plastic battery case: Plastic Battery Cases

Contact with metal objects, whether it be keys, coins, or metal zippers can complete the electric circuit of a battery causing it to over-discharge and go into thermal runaway -- battery melt-down. Below is an AW IMR battery which was being carried as a spare in a book bag pocket and obviously came into contact with metal. The inner components of the battery casing have vented out the top of the battery. Imagine that happening inside your pocket or mechanical mod!

IMR_battery_post-venting.jpg

Your Nemesis should have a safety lock for the bottom firing switch. Always engage this safety feature when not vaping and especially if you carry the mod in your pocket. Removing the juice attachment while transporting the mod is another alternative (this essentually removes the ability of the battery completing the electrical circuit).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I just carry it in my pocket, no issues.

:nah: Not good. I once put a battery in my pocket not aware that there were a couple of coins in the pocket. Almost immediately the battery got too hot to touch. It began venting very hot gas and was quite the struggle to remove it from the pocket. Obviously this ruined a perfectly good battery and caused me some undue stress from the hot pocket. (These batteries can vent gas hot enough to cause second degree burns.)

Last edited:

wi11n

Oct 14, 2013
Usa
Yeah it the battery you dont want to touch your keys. The mod is fine, will just get scratched alot. I suggest a kayfun or something that doesnt leak as easily if your on the go or carrying in your pocket. Oh and dont forget to lock it before putting it in your pocket lol or you'll start smelling your juice and feel and warm sensation in your pants.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I carry spare batteries in a plastic battery case. Before I got the case, I had my spares wrapped in plastic ziplock bags to be sure they wouldn't come in contact with metal. Each battery in it's own bag, so that they weren't in contact with each other either. Battery cases are cheap. Just so happened that the one I was waiting for in the mail got stuck in another state for a week. USPS seemed to loose it for a while....

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
If you're talking about your mech mod in general, the main thing I've found is to make sure to use the fire button locking ring. Being lazy with it almost put my mech into meltdown a couple times, so I use it by reflex now.

Many vape shops sell plastic battery cases, which are very handy. Plastic pill bottles are good too.

-- Glenn

I have a nemesis coming and I had a few questions... I read somewhere that there are special safety considerations for a mechanical if you're out and about...like never putting it in contact with keys in your pocket, for example. I also heard there are special ways to store a battery for on-the-go use. I was planning on using an 18350 for stealth so I'll probably need a spare battery, what's the safest way to carry it with me?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread