Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Though you can use the ST on a mech, it's far better suited to a regulated mod. In my experience they take some fine tuning in terms of wattage and juice viscosity, a regulated mod allows to find the sweet spot. A mech on the other hand will just feed it as much power as it will take, subsequently you may get a lot of burnt hits.
Assuming the mech has a fully charged battery, a 0.5 ohm coil will be pulling north of 35 watts. I have had my RTA work at that wattage on occasion, but not a stock OCC coil.

Signmaker

Oct 26, 2014
Berks, Pennsy, 'Murrica
Im confused as to why people say to not use the Subtank with a hybrid. The Nautilis...sure, it's got a spring loaded pin, and would be no-go. But on every Subtank I own, the positive pin is proud of the 510 by about 0.020" or more and is not spring loaded.

Why is the Subtank a pipe bomb on a hybrid, but a dripper on a hybrid with the same connection safe? Are people just latched onto the idea of "Subohm tank + hybrid = BAD!!"?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Im confused as to why people say to not use the Subtank with a hybrid. The Nautilis...sure, it's got a spring loaded pin, and would be no-go. But on every Subtank I own, the positive pin is proud of the 510 by about 0.020" or more and is not spring loaded.

Why is the Subtank a pipe bomb on a hybrid, but a dripper on a hybrid with the same connection safe? Are people just latched onto the idea of "Subohm tank + hybrid = BAD!!"?

I didn't say anything about spring loaded 510s or hybrids or pipe bombs. Read what I posted again.

However looking at the clearance of the 510 on my ST mini, I would never put it on a hybrid style mech, the protrusion is tiny. The amount of clearance you perceive to be safe is of course subjective. Don't forget that over time the positive connector on many 18650s tend to become concave further exacerbating the potential for a short.

Reactions: Libbydude
I didn't say anything about spring loaded 510s or hybrids or pipe bombs. Read what I posted again.
I...didnt...I said "people". Couple folks on page 1 were cautioning against it.

However looking at the clearance of the 510 on my ST mini, I would never put it on a hybrid style mech, the protrusion is tiny. The amount of clearance you perceive to be safe is of course subjective. Don't forget that over time the positive connector on many 18650s tend to become concave further exacerbating the potential for a short.
I feel the protrusions on MY STs are acceptable. This portion of the atty isnt exactly made to precision machining standards, so maybe there are some out there with half the margin. I havent seen them, but it's plausible. I've seen RDAs with less, and no one questions those. That was the point of my previous post.

All also confess to viewing mechmods in general as a bit of "living dangerously" anyway. If you want dead-reliable safety, get a Provari. I ain't scurred.
(though I totally freaked out on my girlfriend when I found out she left her mech unlocked in her purse last night, lol)

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I...didnt...I said "people". Couple folks on page 1 were cautioning against it.

I feel the protrusions on MY STs are acceptable. This portion of the atty isnt exactly made to precision machining standards, so maybe there are some out there with half the margin. I havent seen them, but it's plausible. I've seen RDAs with less, and no one questions those. That was the point of my previous post.

All also confess to viewing mechmods in general as a bit of "living dangerously" anyway. If you want dead-reliable safety, get a Provari. I ain't scurred.
(though I totally freaked out on my girlfriend when I found out she left her mech unlocked in her purse last night, lol)

I actually switched to mechs partially because I felt much safer dealing with known/quality batteries and chargers - than unknown chemistry batteries stuffed in a tube; protected by $0.01 worth of electronics. ... and don't get me started on 510 chargers :D

Mechs are are as safe as the users' knowledge and precautions.

When mechs fail, it's user error. When regulated mods fail, it's the safeguards that fail. Not much to do about shoddy electronic workmanship - other than to blame it on someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread