New to mech mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuffKnight

Sep 12, 2018
So I procured a mech mod for a decent deal, and I just want to make sure I have a 1000% understanding of ohms law and other factors before jumping in to be safe. Please bear with me because I like to learn as much as possible about whatever it is I'm doing. So if anyone would be willing to confirm that I am understanding this all correctly. So voltage is equal go amperage over resistance correct? Now I have the smok alien 220w box mod, which gives live readings on voltage, resistance, and amps. So if I make a dual coil build with a coil resistance of 0.190 ohms per coil, reading 16 Amps, and 3.04 voltage reading, am I safe to use on a mech mod with an 18650 battery?

PuffKnight

Sep 12, 2018
So I procured a mech mod for a decent deal, and I just want to make sure I have a 1000% understanding of ohms law and other factors before jumping in to be safe. Please bear with me because I like to learn as much as possible about whatever it is I'm doing. So if anyone would be willing to confirm that I am understanding this all correctly. So voltage is equal go amperage over resistance correct? Now I have the SMOK alien 220w box mod, which gives live readings on voltage, resistance, and amps. So if I make a dual coil build with a coil resistance of 0.190 ohms per coil, reading 16 Amps, and 3.04 voltage reading, am I safe to use on a mech mod with an 18650 battery?
I guess me next question is, as long as the vintage reading i see is below what my battery is rated for I'm within safety limits correct?

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
Hello @PuffKnight Here are a couple great reads to get you educated on Ohms law and Battery safety. The First one is the blogs from our resident Battery Guru Mooch. A lot of information here~https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/members/mooch.256958/ Here is a second link for a calculator for Ohms Law~Ohms Law Calculator From my understanding, correct me if I am wrong but with you building a dual coil each being 0.19 ohms would yield a final resistance of .095 ohms. That would produce a draw of 46.6666 amps which exceeds any single battery that I know of. Can it be done? Sure, but I myself would not build any lower than .3 ohms. That gives me ample overhead room for wear on my batteries at a draw of 14 amps. To figure out amp draw, take fully charged battery @ 4.2 and divide that by the ohm of your coil. Hope this helps!!! I am sure more people will chime in. :D

Last edited:

PuffKnight

Sep 12, 2018
Hello @PuffKnight Here are a couple great reads to get you educated on Ohms law and Battery safety. The First one is the blogs from our resident Battery Guru Mooch. A lot of information here~https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/members/mooch.256958/ Here is a second link for a calculator for Ohms Law~Ohms Law Calculator From my understanding, correct me if I am wrong but with you building a dual coil each being 0.19 ohms would yield a final resistance of .095 ohms. That would produce a draw of 46.6666 amps which exceeds any single battery that I know of. Can it be done? Sure, but I myself would not build any lower than .3 ohms. That gives me ample overhead room for wear on my batteries at a draw of 14 amps. To figure out amp draw, take fully charged battery @ 4.2 and divide that by the ohm of your coil. Hope this helps!!! I am sure more people will chime in. :D
Now see when I run it on my regulated box mod its reading out at 16 Amps, so since it's a dual coil, is that affected at all, just like the resistance is?

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
So how do you think you set the amps and volts on a mech mod. Because I’m going to have to lean towards you shouldn’t use a mech yet.
I ditto this. You should not be using a mech.

So voltage is equal go amperage over resistance correct?
No, that's wrong.

So if I make a dual coil build with a coil resistance of 0.190 ohms per coil,
No, that's very wrong. 0.190 ohms PER COIL in a dual coil set up is 0.08 ohms. Below the safety limit on most batteries.

The "regulator" on a regulated mod does not show amps of the batteries. That's amps to the coil. So no, you can't go off of your Smok readings.

I guess me next question is, as long as the vintage reading i see is below what my battery is rated for I'm within safety limits correct?
No again. Seriously, put the mech away.

• Winner
Reactions: VapourFlavour

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
Hence why i am asking questions instead of just jumping right into it, no need to be snippy.

Mechs are dangerous. Somehow in your research or according to your assumptions you’ve come to a conclusion and method that is terribly wrong. I can’t help you unless I know why.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
I'm afraid you are wrong on every count. Use an ohms law calculator with 4.2V and your battery's (real) CDR rating (see Mooch's posts/blog in the batteries sub forum) to find out the lowest resistance you can "safely" use. Ideally add a bit for leeway e.g. 30a at 4.2v -> 0.14ohms ->use 0.2ohms for good measure. Mech mods provide the voltage of the cell - 4.2v at full charge down to ~3.5v for most users at which point it wont provide enough power for the coils.

Extra tips:
Sony, LG, Samsung are the best bet for reliable cells.
CDR and capacity work in an equilibrium where more of one decreases the other.
If the mech mod doesn't have a 510 pin it is called a hybrid connection and you MUST use an atomiser with a protruding 510 pin or it will go bang
Use a good ohm-reader - initially I used a Smok alien to read the coils and my first build was 0.08ohms despite the Smok device telling me it was 0.2ohms. The device got very hot after a few short hits so I knew something was wrong and continued to use regulated devices until I got a proper ohm reader.

I would strongly suggest doing some extra homework on the topic before you use the mechanical mod and I am glad you took the time to ask questions because you could have had some serious issues if you went ahead with the incorrect knowledge you had stated. Understanding how to safely use mechanical mods is not beyond anyone's grasp. Good luck :)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
If the mech mod doesn't have a 510 pin it is called a hybrid connection and you MUST use an atomiser with a protruding 510 pin or it will go bang

That's a faux hybrid, true hybrids are something else entirely.

Completely agree with everything else in your post.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Here's what I post to those just getting into Mech's -

1. Ohm's law, Steam Engine | free vaping calculators makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android
2. Batteries! you MUST take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!!
a. Avoid garbage batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not ebay or amazon) sources, great places to get authentic are from
Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery/cell distributor
Earth's #1 source for IMR 18650 Batteries, Chargers, Cases & Wraps | IMRbatteries.com
b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"
c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog
d. In Mod's with multipule batteries, marry them.
e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.
3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -
a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up
b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery
c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high with a lot of wire, no lower that .4 ohms.
4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build or any shorts.
5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you put it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front jeans pocket and blow your Johnson off ya know ;)
6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.
a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I was informed by some very helpful and knowledgeable people on here a while ago that the Volts you're seeing on your regulated mod mean nothing. The only info that would be useful to you on your Smok would be coil resistance, the rest is on you, at least that's my understanding.

Here's the thing I love about this forum, when the vets see a thread with a title like this or any indication that someone is about to use a mech for the first time they are all over it. I believe there are two reasons for this: first and foremost, most of the members here are just simply good people and don't want to see someone get hurt. Second, if someone who is inexperienced blows their face off it gives our industry another black eye.

Last edited:
  • Love

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
What would be a true hybrid then?
With a true hybrid setup the mod and the atty are designed to fit together, no 510 connector at all. The Aqua rta and the Origin mod are an example. Inherently safer due to the design.

Google Image Result for https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.3fvape.com%2F6635-thickbox_default%2Fvapelyfe-hybrid-mechanical-mod-kit-full-set-brass-stainless-steel-brass-1-x-18650-18350-18500.jpg&hash=b1dea8e320bd0dbda144a54a196eaa09

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What would be a true hybrid then?

"True" hybrids (below pic) are mods with a dedicated atomizer, and no 510 threaded connection. These mods are relatively safe, as you cannot use an incorrect atomizer as the atomizer is a dedicated atomizer specifically for that mod.

Below is a true hybrid:
The atty has 20x1 threads.
It attaches to the body of the mod.
There is no top cap. No 510 connector.​

image-jpg.542994

Most mods commonly referred to as "hybrids" are in fact "faux hybrids" or more correctly named a "direct battery" mod. They have a 510 connector but have NO CENTER PIN. (below pics)

-vgod-pro-mech-2-.jpg

Above: Faux hybrid or direct battery mod (no center pin)
20160129_151013-1-jpg.529201

Left: Top cap 510 connector with center pin. Right: Top cap 510 connector with no center pin.

Direct battery or faux hybrid mods must use an atomizer with an extended center pin, or the battery will short out.

510-connection-pin-550x329.jpg

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Now see when I run it on my regulated box mod its reading out at 16 Amps, so since it's a dual coil, is that affected at all, just like the resistance is?
The amp readout on a regulated mod is totally useless information. I don't know what it is supposed to represent, but it is not the amps being delivered by the battery. Just ignore that value entirely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread