Mech mods vs other mech mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

painbowslash

Verified Member
Jun 13, 2015
Singapore
Hii guys!! Currently have a subox mini and definitely looking to upgrade. At first I wanted to buy a smokm80 for its affordability and decent power, but then after a few videos I realised that mech mods did a much better job in making huge clouds.
I've seen them used everywhere for cloud chasing, and they are much cheaper than the smokm80.

Question is, what is the difference in specs between each mech mod? Since the power is probably dependent on the battery, am I just paying more for asthetics on higher end mechs?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Aaahhh... Not quite. Mech mods are used in cloud competitions because the rules require them. But regulated mods are far more powerful these days and, in the hands of a person who knows what they are doing, make more and bigger cloud than you can get out of a mech. I have a number of mechs, and I love them; I use them every day. But they are today become a niche market. As regards the price variation, in general you get what you pay for; and sometimes what you pay for is the brand cachet. I, for instance, have never understood why anybody would buy a BMW when they could buy more car for less money in the Audi brand. But BMW sells a lot of cars. In general, branded mechs offer better quality than the clones. Sometimes you can tell this in using them, other times not so much. One thing I will tell you for sure: you can get a lot more power, more safely, out of the Smok M80 than you can out of any two-battery mech mod, even with the best batteries in the world. And if a cloud chucker is what you want, look at the Snow Wolf or the Sigelei 150, something along those lines. Bear in mind also, most people do not like to vape at power levels much higher than you can get out of your Subox because the vape gets very hot very quickly. I have a Snow Wolf 200w machine. I run it at 65 watts with my Dark Horse dripper with the chuff cap, and it is a steamthrower. But if I run it at 70 watts with the same rig, it burns my mouth and blows boiling hot juice pops into my throat. Now, all that's for what it's worth. But be careful of mechs. You really have to know what you're doing to use them safely, and getting a mech coiled so it works well is often a frustrating challenge as they are finicky about such matters. If you really want to use a mech, be certain to buy good batteries from a reputable vendor. I never use anything but authentic Sony VTC4s in mine.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Hii guys!! Currently have a subox mini and definitely looking to upgrade. At first I wanted to buy a smokm80 for its affordability and decent power, but then after a few videos I realised that mech mods did a much better job in making huge clouds.
I've seen them used everywhere for cloud chasing, and they are much cheaper than the smokm80.

Question is, what is the difference in specs between each mech mod? Since the power is probably dependent on the battery, am I just paying more for asthetics on higher end mechs?
Hi @painbowslash, welcome. First of all: a mech mod is a battery holder that can provide current to a coil. There's no circuitry, so very little to fail. The power is entirely dependent on the resistance of your coil; a lower resistance means more power. More power means more amps. More amps means you need to have a good battery.

So..... are mech mods better at making clouds? The short answer is no. Current regulated mods do a much better job. Aside from that, they are way way cheaper.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
It's basically design when you are comparing mechs. The main differences are top caps and positive pin design, and power button, whether it's direct contact with a magnet or spring or whatever, and materials used. Copper is a great conductor, so mech mods like the copper fuhattan performs very well.

I would recommend, if you're looking to upgrade.. To get a regulated mod. What do you not like about what you have, and what do you want out of a new mod? I could offer a ton of suggestions but I don't know if any of them would do what you want them to do.

You could get an evic mini, ipv d2, or sigelei 75w, all for under 40 bucks right now, so it's about double what a good mech clone goes for, which is still very affordable.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Mechanical mods are essentially an anachronism. They originate from a time a few years back when high powered box mods were not available, and if you wanted to blow big plumes they were the only way to go. The main advantages of a mech now are it;s small form factor, simplicity and reliability.They are however completely unforgiving of user error and ignorance.

Having said that there are many who love them (myself included), and in some cases use nothing but. Why you might ask. Kept clean and well maintained they should last a life time. The chip goes pop on a regulated mod and a soldering iron and a screwdriver isn't going to help you.
But theres more...

They are arcane.
Their simplicity for me equates to beauty from an engineering perspective. I used to like Zippos for same simple effective engineering.
I like the challenge of building the right coils, for the right atomizer for the right mech. So that a it provides a great vape from fully charged to battery swap out time.
Theres something almost steampunk about a battery tube in this age of microchips and LCD displays.
No box mod sits as comfortably in your pocket.

If you dreamed about being a wizard or a steam-engine driver as a kid, then you probably have a mechanical mod in your vape collection.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

1:
If you took the circuitboard out of your kbox or took the circuitboard out of the smokm80, it would be a mech mod.

2:
Getting a mech mod would not be an upgrade, however for the budget minded, a mech mod is a must have backup device.

3:
Yes the power you get out of a mech mod is really dependent on the battery, and how close to a full short you put on the battery. (and how efficient the mod is at delivering high current).
The important thing is the mech won't stop from firing on a full short

Dextrose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have to say i am big on my mechs, aside from my trusty sig 150, and use them every day, part of it for me is the collection side of it and building that perfect coil for the setup, then there is the wow that looks realy cool, for any others who have a otto carter mod, its all about the look and craftmanship, do i need all the mechs? not realy as there is nothing my sig cant handle, as mentiond erlier you have to build to suit the mech where a regulated mod you can prety much build anything and throw it on.

Reactions: Diver9543

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD

Above posters nailed it. Just wanted to add that a higher end authentic mech will be much nicer than its cheaper clone counterpart, obviously, but generally you are getting a much higher quality, safer, mech. Sometimes the clones are well done, other times they can be down right dangerous. Not sure which one in particular you were looking at that was cheaper than a m80, as those are pretty cheap, but beware of clones, if you are set on getting one, do your research, and make sure its at least a good clone.

That's not to say you need to spend $250 to buy a nice mech, there are plenty of nice authentics in the $50-100 range these days, or even closeouts on what used to be $200-250 mechs for much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread