Melo Mini 3 in MTL: BLASPHEMY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacciviah

Sep 7, 2018
Milan
So I bumped into a great deal, a used 75 iStick Pico with a Melo 3 Mini atom that only needed the replacement glass, a ....load of drip tips and a new Sony 18650 battery for 20€.
It was only used for like a week, so I grabbed it to have a spare box to use (I have an identical one, just in silver. Hey, I'm a woman after all, even color coordination is a thing here!).

I'm a heavy MTL user but I decided to give DL vaping a try. I mean, you have an atom, you HAVE to try it out, right?
So far, it's a nope (0.5 ohm original eleaf coil, well primed, broken in for 2 hours, 70/30 liquid with 3 mg nicotine, 30 to 40 watts, you know, I went by the book).
I just don't like the feeling, that's it. Not my thing. Just... no. [shrugs]

Before giving up and reselling the atom, I was wondering if the eleaf 0.75 coils for the melo atom, listed as MTL, and a thin and long drip tip would do the trick for me and allow me to MTL while still using the 70/30 eliquid batch I had prepared for the occasion (I can add more nicotine to it, for sure, but I can't change the PG/VG ratio without killing the flavour off).

Has any of you any advice on this one? :)
It would be amazing and it would save this poor atom another owner change.
Poor little Melo.
I don't want to offend him...

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
I just don't like the feeling, that's it. Not my thing. Just... no.
Ha! Yep. DL is… kinda odd. :D

At a guess, it might be more restricted, but the Melo 3 mini with the airflow turned right down is a bit airier than a dedicated MTL tank. I tried a narrower drip tip and I think it helped a teensy bit (this was months ago - sorry).

It's worth a shot. There are positive comments for the 0.75's MTL performance over on Fasttech. It sounds as though it has a tighter airflow and might be just the thing.

Hope it works out!

Cacciviah

Sep 7, 2018
Milan
Ha! Yep. DL is… kinda odd. :D

At a guess, it might be more restricted, but the Melo 3 mini with the airflow turned right down is a bit airier than a dedicated MTL tank. I tried a narrower drip tip and I think it helped a teensy bit (this was months ago - sorry).

It's worth a shot. There are positive comments for the 0.75's MTL performance over on Fasttech. It sounds as though it has a tighter airflow and might be just the thing.

Hope it works out!
That was exactly my plan. 0.75 coil, minimum airflow, slim drip tip :)
I'll let you know tomorrow!
Should I worry about the 70/30 liquid in the 0.75 coil?

Inviato dal mio VTR-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Before giving up and reselling the atom, I was wondering if the eleaf 0.75 coils for the melo atom, listed as MTL, and a thin and long drip tip would do the trick for me and allow me to MTL while still using the 70/30 eliquid batch I had prepared for the occasion (I can add more nicotine to it, for sure, but I can't change the PG/VG ratio without killing the flavour off).

Has any of you any advice on this one? :)
It would be amazing and it would save this poor atom another owner change.
Poor little Melo.
I don't want to offend him...

Aspire Triton (regular not Aspire Triton Mini) 1.8ohm(10-13W) / kanthal coils will give you Nautilus MTL draw. Never tried them but they will work in Mello3 tank. A little pricy but reviews of those coil rave about good flavor and longevity...
triton%20coil.png
small air holes will give you tight draw and huge wicking holes will let you use high vg juice.

I am tempted to try those coils because I have Mello3 but I have so many rta's that buying drop in coils is not really something I should do...:confused:

$15.62 Authentic Aspire Triton Replacement Coil Head (5-Pack) 5-pack - 1.8ohm(10-13W) / kanthal at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
Aspire Triton (regular not Aspire Triton Mini) 1.8ohm(10-13W) / kanthal coils will give you Nautilus MTL draw. Never tried them but they will work in Mello3 tank. A little pricy but reviews of those coil rave about good flavor and longevity... small air holes will give you tight draw and huge wicking holes will let you use high vg juice.

I am tempted to try those coils because I have Mello3 but I have so many rta's that buying drop in coils is not really something I should do...:confused:
Well. I've taken the plunge and will do a side-by-side. I want it to be true, but I guess we'll see. [Smacks forehead] I think the Nautilus will :censored: all over it. Whatever - it's Friday and I'm feeling… reckless. I'll be sure to enthrall you all with my tales of woe findings.

Cacciviah

Sep 7, 2018
Milan
Well, I already have a Nautilus Mini and a rebuildable RTA Hastur and they kick this one in the ...., but I got it with the box... A spare atom can never hurt IMO, even to be able to switch flavours during the day with no fuss, hence my question.
I'll invest 3 or 4 euros on a Triton 1.8 coil (hope I'll be able to get it) or on a 0.75 Eleaf coil and give it a try. I already have a tighter drip tip, so if it works good, and if it doesn't I'll resell the atom having wasted 3 to 4 euros for something that I got at a ridiculous price (20€ for a basically pristine iStick 75 + a Sony battery + this little DL guy + 7 drip tips is a real good deal here, a battery alone costs around 7, so go figure). Worth a try in my book!

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
I use Melo 3 coils in the billet box. I usually rock them restricted lung hit. They're the original subohm tanks. I don't think you'll be able to MTL, they have too much air. Still a so so tank, I use them when I can't get anything else for the Billet.

Any subohm tank that have tight AFC and can accept mtl coils should be able to provide regular Nautilus style MTL draw... you cannot achieve it with just external tank AFC ring... but with dedicated MTL drop in coil there is no problem with too much air... see 2 coils below... both are Triton coils and both will fit Mello3 tank... one is able provide MTL and other DTL... can you see difference in air passage holes?

mtl.png

dtl.png

:)

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Any subohm tank that have tight AFC and can accept mtl coils should be able to provide regular Nautilus style MTL draw... you cannot achieve it with just external tank AFC ring... but with dedicated MTL drop in coil there is no problem with too much air... see 2 coils below... both are Triton coils and both will fit Mello3 tank... one is able provide MTL and other DTL... can you see difference in air passage holes?

mtl.png

dtl.png

As long as I know Triton and Nautilus coils are different to Melo coils, both in width and airflow. The Melo 3 was the low cost alternative to the Atlantis, not the Nautilus. Completely different tanks. In the BB, they use completely different tanks.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
As long as I know Triton and Nautilus coils are different to Melo coils, both in width and airflow. The Melo 3 was the low cost alternative to the Atlantis, not the Nautilus. Completely different tanks. In the BB, they use completely different tanks.

Triton coils and Nautilus coils are not compatible... Triton Mini coils and Nautilus coil are compatible...

Mello3 coils and Triton coils are compatible.... Mello3 coils and Triton Mini coils are not compatible...

Triton coils are not compatible with Triton Mini... Triton coils are different from Triton Mini coils...

Triton Mini coils can be used in Nautilus Tanks... Triton coils cannot.
Triton coils can be used in in Mello3 tanks... Triton Mini coils cannot.

Triton coils can be used not only in Triton tank and Mello3 tank but also can be used in Atlantis tank...

Airflow can be different in Triton coils alone... both coils shown in my previous post are Triton coils...(not Triton Mini coils)... one picture shows huge air flow holes on bottom and the other has much,much smaller hole... both are Triton coils... one is providing a lot of air for DTL and other very restricted air for MTL... both of those coils can be installed in Mello3 tank...

Cacciviah

Sep 7, 2018
Milan
Ok guys,
So I got the 0.75 coils, no way to find the triton coils if not online. It looks like aspire decided to retire it or something, I can only see those in Chinese sites or American sites...
Anyway got the little dudes and even found a great shop near my office that I had never noticed. Milanese guys, if you're here the staff in Red Smoke Store in Corso Colombo are amazingly kind! :)
I'll let you know the results of this experiment as soon as the coil is well matured. Hope the 70/30 liquid will work decently on it as I can up the nicotine but I can't change the vg/pg ratio... Wish me luck!

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Ok guys,
So I got the 0.75 coils, no way to find the triton coils if not online. It looks like aspire decided to retire it or something, I can only see those in Chinese sites or American sites...
Anyway got the little dudes and even found a great shop near my office that I had never noticed. Milanese guys, if you're here the staff in Red Smoke Store in Corso Colombo are amazingly kind! :)
I'll let you know the results of this experiment as soon as the coil is well matured. Hope the 70/30 liquid will work decently on it as I can up the nicotine but I can't change the vg/pg ratio... Wish me luck!

FYI:

Batteries: NKON | eu.nkon.nl
DIY supplies: PG/VG and flavours : Save Vape

Cheers
I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread