Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
-----

Thanks to both of you!

Scubabatdan, it says those crystals are made from Mint oil...is that okay?

-----

All Menthol crystals are made synthetically or obtained from peppermint or other mint oils. It is a waxy, crystalline substance, clear or white in color, which is solid at room temperature and melts slightly above. It is souluable in alchohol, that is why we use pure grain alcohol (PGA) to disolve it, if you use vodka you will see the water seperate from the menthol concentrate. Disolving it in PGA Makes it easier to add to the nic juice.
Hope this helps,
Dan

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
I bought the menthol from Perfumer's Apprentice. While not dry crystals, what came IS in crystalline form, with dry crystals on top and wet crystals in the bottom of the bottle. I'm using it the same as straight crystals and it's working well for us.

I asked them why the liquid, but don't remember the answer. Sorry!

thewomenfolk, like most of the flavors, menthol is safe when used in the quantities we need. Remember, even water is toxic in large quantities!

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
-----

Thanks Scubabatdan, do you know if the menthol crystals are safe? I've read here that we prolly shouldn't vape oils.

-----

If you read the label ingredients and it lists methanol, ethanol, menthol or anything ending with an “ol”, it is a type of alcohol. Menthol is not an oil it is an derivitive of mint oil and an alcohol based liquid. I don't think they would sell menthol eJuice if it was oil based. My wife smokes menthol ejuice I make for her and I use menthol crystals in all of her mixes. It has been 8 months and she has gone only gone through 3 attys. I do not know how she does it. Must be because she only uses it like an hour a day. Anyway Menthol crystals aren't dangerous to you or the atty, unless you wipe your eyes after you handled some lol.
Hope this puts your mind at ease.
Dan

mpetva

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Virginia
I can't get PGA here in VA, I can but it takes weeks and you have to get a license from ABC control board. What else can I use to dissolve the crystals? I have some on the way hopefully Tuesday. Would the water separation you mentioned from vodka have a very negative effect?

I was wondering where to get it in Virginia? Where did you get yours?

jaded

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
I was wondering where to get it in Virginia? Where did you get yours?
I didn't get any, but I found out how too. I can't find the site now but there is a form on the ABC website you have to fill out and turn in for approval. If you get it I think you can get 375 or 750ml bottles. Seems like a pain really I will probably just go to NC and grab a bottle I think its legal there. I think this is only everclear, ABC stores sell some lower proof grains I believe.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I can't get PGA here in VA, I can but it takes weeks and you have to get a license from ABC control board. What else can I use to dissolve the crystals? I have some on the way hopefully Tuesday. Would the water separation you mentioned from vodka have a very negative effect?

Not a negitive effect, you just have to shake it up to remix it before measuring it out for use. The higher the proof the better, if you can find 120 proof vodka that will work. Just remeber the proof divided by 2 equals the alcohol content. Everclear 190 proof is 95% alcohol, where as 120 proof vodka is only 60%. The rest is water.
Dan

jaded

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
Not a negitive effect, you just have to shake it up to remix it before measuring it out for use. The higher the proof the better, if you can find 120 proof vodka that will work. Just remeber the proof divided by 2 equals the alcohol content. Everclear 190 proof is 95% alcohol, where as 120 proof vodka is only 60%. The rest is water.
Dan
Thanks Dan, I had seen where you can just add crystals but this seems much easier to be able to keep track of measurement. I am gonna get some Everclear next time I go to the beach and got the form to be able to get in in VA(takes awhile to get cleared) but I really need to mix up some menthol. I plan on giving some 0nic strong menthol a try.

Hello all and thank you Dan for the information on how to blend the crystals... I found them easy enough on Ebay, but Everclear was a different matter... I did find this website Winechateau where you can purchase a bottle of Everclear for about $15 for 750 ml as it is a bit difficult to find... The problem is state laws... The website has this statement:
Due to different laws in different states, we are not able to ship orders to Pennsylvania. We do not ship to the following states:

Massachusetts
Maryland
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Texas
Utah

Since I live in PA, I cannot purchase this online so back to my search. However, I am hoping this helps someone else find this if they are looking for it. I was surprised to see you can purchase spirits online these days...

Amy

P3rplexity

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Texas

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Hello all and thank you Dan for the information on how to blend the crystals... I found them easy enough on Ebay, but Everclear was a different matter... I did find this website Winechateau where you can purchase a bottle of Everclear for about $15 for 750 ml as it is a bit difficult to find... The problem is state laws... The website has this statement:
Due to different laws in different states, we are not able to ship orders to Pennsylvania. We do not ship to the following states:

Massachusetts
Maryland
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Texas
Utah

Since I live in PA, I cannot purchase this online so back to my search. However, I am hoping this helps someone else find this if they are looking for it. I was surprised to see you can purchase spirits online these days...

Amy

I might have a solution for you, hang in there just checking a source.

Just curious though Dan, how much PGA do you use with the crystals to get a good blend? Have a formula?

Thanks Again,
Amy

Crush the crystals into a powder, I usually place them in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin. Then fill a 10ml bottle full to the top with the powder. Then drip everclear into the bottle and let it saturate the powder and dissolve it until the bottle is full of everclear, does not take much like 2-3ml. Next cap the bottle and run under hot water for a few minutes while shaking.
TADA menthol concentrate.
Dan

Last edited:

P3rplexity

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Texas
I might have a solution for you, hang in there just checking a source.

Crush the crystals into a powder, I usually place them in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin. Then fill a 10ml bottle full to the top with the powder. Then drip everclear into the bottle and let it satuate the powder and dissolve it until the bottle is full of everclear, does not take much like 2-3ml. Next cap the bottle and run under hot water for a few minutes while shaking.
TADA menthol concentrate.
Dan

Yowzas that seems like much more work then I do!

Whatever works best for you is key though.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Yowzas that seems like much more work then I do!

Whatever works best for you is key though.

Consistancy is the key, if I do the same thing everytime, it is MORE concentrated and acurate. More acurate than adding 5 small crystals as the crystal sizes are always different, and the results will vary. You can always add to a mix but you can not take out. Doing it this way I can calculate by drops or ml if making large batches. This method actually only takes about 5 minutes to do. I guess some people like inconsistancy. What ever works for you.
At least you are using Levy's juice so you have that going for you :)
Dan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread