Menthol crystal question

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first didnt find this sub forum so posted on New memmbers, but ill try here too.

I have a huge problem in getting a strong/long lasting menthol flavoring as with all the stupid bans many shops in Latvia died out. So best results i had was from Inawera mixed mint - it required a few drops per 10ml to have a pretty strong menthol taste. Problem with all mint and a like, they are very weak - i have to use 10ml flavoring per 500ml base to slightly feel that minty taste, with Inawera it was enough around 100-150drop ~3ml to have a pretty strong taste.

So to the point - Mentola kristāli 5g Have these and have a question. How strong these crystals are and how much flavoring i would be able to get out of 5grams of crystals - so to taste a pretty strong menthol from like 20drops per 100ml base.

Need it as most flavored bases i mix - it scraches my throat a bit - so menthol takes off that thing and from there a very smooth vape.

After searching these in local stores, theres alot of aroma stores tthat sell these crystals 2x cheaper than on vape store, but in description of those says they dont dissolve in water, but oil...can it be theres food grade crystals for different uses? Like ones that are only for vape and others only for medicaluse or making health products?

Another thing, to get pretty strong liquid to work with - 1:3 should be ok where 1 is crystals and 3 base?

And another question more - on vape site says to use PG for dillute...cant i use pg/vg 50/50?

Hope you understand what i mean by all this as my english isnt even close to good!

Thank you in advance!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I am sorry I can not access the link you posted. I will try to answer best I can.
Yes, I think you can dissolve the crystals in pg/vg but it may be harder because the vg is so thick....Maybe put the bottle into a bowl of hot water and let set for a few mins to help dissolve them.
And yes 1 to 3 is as you stated 1 crystal to 3 pg.
And NEVER vape oil. Water soluable only.
:)

• Informative
Reactions: stols001
And NEVER vape oil. Water soluable only.

Thank you, that i know. I just ask as menthol crystals that are sold in aromashops - in description tell you to dissolv in oil - that part confused me. Do they tell you to dissolvei n oil as all shop based on making hand/body lotions and ether(sp) oils, but not bcos those Menthol crystals that are sold there are some other kind.... One stupid crystal and so much problems lol

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um, I'm not certain why they say to dissolve in oil, probably because you ARE acquiring them from aromashops and they'd probably have no reason to tell you to do anything else.

Don't do that for *vaping* though, it can be quite dangerous. I don't mean to be rude at all, but is there a reason that you are seeking out menthol crystals rather than buying a menthol flavoring from a flavoring company? Is that all you can get access to? I'd probably use PG to dissolve personally as I think it would most likely work better, but I really don't have a clue as to how much/what percentage and etc. I'm not sure where you'd find that info on menthol crystals that you are buying from aromatherapy stores, though, unless this is a common DIY practice that I don't know about (which is certainly possible and even likely).

Anna

Lowjumper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
Union Mills NC
I've used menthol crystals for over 7 years, very cheep and easy!
1. Use no water or oil!
2. Use 100% PG to melt, menthol does not like VG.
3. The crystals are available on Ebay for much less money.
4. I mix using PGA = pure grain alcohol to mix, very little water and a very strong mix (after your juice is mixed the alcohol will evaporate:confused:
5. Add vg to your juice as a last step, to much vg will turn the mix foggy, try sticking it in the micro wave for 10 sec. :cool:
Hope this helps:toast:

Um, I'm not certain why they say to dissolve in oil, probably because you ARE acquiring them from aromashops and they'd probably have no reason to tell you to do anything else.

Don't do that for *vaping* though, it can be quite dangerous. I don't mean to be rude at all, but is there a reason that you are seeking out menthol crystals rather than buying a menthol flavoring from a flavoring company? Is that all you can get access to? I'd probably use PG to dissolve personally as I think it would most likely work better, but I really don't have a clue as to how much/what percentage and etc. I'm not sure where you'd find that info on menthol crystals that you are buying from aromatherapy stores, though, unless this is a common DIY practice that I don't know about (which is certainly possible and even likely).

Anna
Not only i moved to vape as i was getting sick from analogs, but for a cost too. So, if i order from e-shops that arnt local i have to pay shipping(or have to make a 100-150euro order), so in the end it gets pretty expensive per ml. So all my personal vape is as cheap as possible from best available. And local shops doesnt have menthol flavorings, only mints, but mints and pepermints are too weak so need to use way too much to gain any minty taste in my juice. Thats why i need menthol as its alot stronger and doent need to use much to get what i need. So for example, if i buy this 5gram crystals it should last me around three litres of base for 4.5euro. If i use local bought i need to use all 13ml per 500ml base to get minty taste so thats 4euro per 500ml :)

I've used menthol crystals for over 7 years, very cheep and easy!
1. Use no water or oil!
2. Use 100% PG to melt, menthol does not like VG.
3. The crystals are available on Ebay for much less money.
4. I mix using PGA = pure grain alcohol to mix, very little water and a very strong mix (after your juice is mixed the alcohol will evaporate:confused:
5. Add vg to your juice as a last step, to much vg will turn the mix foggy, try sticking it in the micro wave for 10 sec. :cool:
Hope this helps:toast:

Thank you.

Well, thank you all for info and help. Bought 30gram pack for 5.09euro from a local aroma shop and they are great. Just made a 30ml bottle from 10grams of menthol crystals and same amount 96% alcohol. Have a bottle with very tiny dropper and need only two drops in to 10ml to feel menthol taste and a bit coolness, so at around three to three and a half drops per 10ml should be enough for my needs and this batch will last me years(even at my rate of vaping ~20ml per day)

Very happy with results and price of this stuff.

Last edited:

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I am sorry I can not access the link you posted. I will try to answer best I can.
Yes, I think you can dissolve the crystals in pg/vg but it may be harder because the vg is so thick....Maybe put the bottle into a bowl of hot water and let set for a few mins to help dissolve them.
And yes 1 to 3 is as you stated 1 crystal to 3 pg.
And NEVER vape oil. Water soluble only.
I'm also looking for answers to similar questions. and the link opened for me but I can't read it :(
upload_2018-1-5_15-29-4.png

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I'm also looking for answers to similar questions. and the link opened for me but I can't read it :(
View attachment 710813
The only thing I recognize on this page is TPA which to me translates to The Perfumers Apprentice is also know as TFA flavor makers. Perhaps they buy from an American flavor maker and sell on their site.

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The only thing I recognize on this page is TPA which to me translates to The Perfumers Apprentice is also know as TFA flavor makers. Perhaps they buy from an American flavor maker and sell on their site.

from that TPA
upload_2018-1-5_17-19-49.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread