Metal or non-metal drip tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
Which do you prefer?

Me, I find myself hating metal drip tips more and more - at least the short ones. They burn my lips and cool the vapor, and I find they tend to kill the flavor too - or maybe it's because hotter vapor tastes stronger. As a result, I tend to stick cheap plastic tips on all my toppers. That's too bad because they look so cheap, and some metal tips are really nice. I like iClear30-style rotating tips particularly, but I'll take hot flavorful vape over convenience anyday.

I've yet to try glass tips too, but I'm a bit wary of them shattering if I bang them on something - or worse, in my mouth, in a freak accident. But some of them look so great! Anybody knows if glass tips warm up much compared to plastic?

Griff.J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
ON Canada
I hate the cold metal on my lips, I've been using some plastic (Delrin?) ones from fast tech I ordered months ago, plain black and they fit snugly into every device I've used (no wobble) so I'm quite happy with them. Again I just can't stand the cold metal drip tips in my mouth, not to mention the lip crud that sticks to them, eww :blink: lol

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
The metal ones have never bothered me but I'm considering picking up a couple of glass ones just for appearance sake.

I try to avoid the plastic ones for the same reason I try to avoid plastic tanks. They can crack with certain juices. They're not as likely to crack as tanks are, but I have seen more than one crack because of the juice.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
DTs are far more than just a mouthpiece you stick on the end of an atty... they can have a dramatic effect on the quality of your vape. ;-)

I can't speak for anyone else... but my favorite DTs are Pyrex glass, anodized aluminum, stone, carbon fiber and hybrid, so... pretty much anything but all stainless steel, brass or copper. I have no wood DTs.
I have several hybrid DTs that use the latter metals, but they all have carbon fiber or glass tips. I'll often use a short Delrin or Teflon intermediary tip as an insulator with sub-ohm RDA builds.

Bore size (ID) plays an important roll in your vape. Adjusting bore to change air flow characteristics can change both temperature, flavor... and liquid draw capabilities with pressure differential tanks.

Re: iClear 30. If you take a CE4 drip tip, and cut it down to match for length, it will screw right into a iClear 30. Remove any sharp edges so it doesn't cut into the coil-head silicone top seal.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
Glass every time. There's no taste to them and they feel good in the mouth. The mass-produced pyrex ones are good, but the last time I was in the states I managed to get a couple of hand-blown glass tips. Expensive but well worth it.

ETA: that reminds me. Stone is also good, maybe not as good as glass, but pretty close, and a jade DT is cool.
Ceramic, I found to be horrible.

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
There is now a true plethora of materials when it comes to drip tips. There's wooded drip tips with acrylic CA coating. They tend to warm up slowly. Then there's M3 composite metal. The mokume gane patterned ones. They are atomized metal and resin binded together and also warm up slow. Or you can try tru-stone, a secretive blend of "powdered semi-precious stone mixed with a gem resin" that looks fantastic and really stays cool. The tips tend to be pricey though.
Oh, and acrylic too of course. like delrin but much nice colors and patterns, it tends to heat up fast.

Last edited:

COGamerGirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs
Here is the only "metal" tip I have found that I like.
It's actually Pyrex on the inside with the stainless sleeve.
I got it at J Vapes in case you are curious about it.

emedanev.jpg

Yes, I'm a girl and I use a Mech! :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I prefer pyrex glass and tru-stone tips. They are not affected by heat or certain voltatile flavors, and being an inert material they do not affect the flavor of your vapor. They feel great on the lips and look great, too.

sagewood_dt (1542).jpg My favorite drip tip, a hand-blown pyrex.

Silver Bullet with AGA T2.jpg driptipdesignz.jpg driptip.jpg Tru-stone drip tips.

Drip Tip Designz

Last edited:

Lazyex

Mar 15, 2014
www.facebook.com
Here is the only "metal" tip I have found that I like.
It's actually Pyrex on the inside with the stainless sleeve.
I got it at J Vapes in case you are curious about it.

emedanev.jpg

That looks awesome haha. I might consider snagging one of those later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

COGamerGirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs
That looks awesome haha. I might consider snagging one of those later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I like the looks of it a lot but most of all I love that it doesn't interact with any of my assertive liquids. It stays cool even when I am chain vaping.
If you do get it you might need to lube the o ring before you can get it to sit right. At least that's what I found on my kayfun.

Other tips I love are the blown glass ones, I am just waaay too clumsy to have them. Had one I spent $40 on, dropped my mod on carpet and it shattered at the base. Sad cause it was gorgeous!

DomGuy

Feb 9, 2014
NYC
I love my SS tip, mainly for aesthetic's sake. It's walls are fairly thick too so it doesn't heat up as much. While I've never had any taste issues with it, it does get kind of funky after a while, but cleaning is easy. The one thing that scares me about plastic is my friend had a plastic tip on his mech mod, and accidentally left it firing on his desk. Melted the whole plastic tip right down into his RDA.

I haven't tried pyrex but I use a combination of plastic and stainless steel. I like comfort with drip-tips so generally I originally always used some type of plastic drip tip. But I got an Aspire BDC tank and the vapor is very warm, in fact its hot, so I use a stainless steel one on that to cool it down a bit which works very well.

Butters80

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Boise, ID
I actually prefer stainless steel. I like that it is usually cool, and I get no taste from it. Plastic has a definite taste to me, and I find it harder to clean. But I do use plastic if I am going to be outside in North Dakota in the winter. :ohmy:

God that reminds me of a Christmas story...."I triple dog dare ya!" :laugh:
As for drip tips....haven't ventured past ss or plastic. The Pyrex tips sound worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread