Method to Keeping Brass Shiny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goonie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Many of you may have run into this problem by polishing the chrome plating off of a brass mod. Within a day or so, it will oxidize quickly if nothing is done to protect it.

I've read a few threads about keeping polished brass clean, but none were very conclusive. Here are the methods I have come across:

1. Deal with it. (having to re-polish brass is part of owning a brass mod)

2. Use car wax to seal the finish. I work on cars so I know where this is coming from, but a mod seems like it will be exposed to much more heat and will be touched more often than a car's hood.

3. Use brass lacquer spray. To me, this seems like the best option option of all, also it requires the most work.

Can anyone chime in on what they do to prevent tarnish AND the natural hazing of brass?

txredxj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2013
Kingfisher, OK
the biggest problem is a polished surface doesnt let stuff stick like a ruffed up surface does. its only made worse by the fact you are handling a mod all the time wiping off any protection you put on it. i have used never dull for a long time on any shiny metal or plated surface since i got my first truck. look up brightwork sealer or protection and maybe you will find something.

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
i think aged brass looks awesome, and it just keeps getting better.

IMG_20130521_185943_zpsd720e015.jpg

floatingtrem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I've also been looking for a good solution. My brass bits seem to loose their shine before the day is even over.

I don't like the idea of sealing it with lacquer... seems too permanent, and what happens when the lacquer gets old and starts to wear off?

I've heard of folks using clear nail polish, and then if there are any issues, they just soak the parts in acetone and start fresh. I'd be curious to see how that works. Might give it a shot.

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
You might want to try Renaissance Wax. I use it on brass and copper jewelry components so they don't oxidize but I haven't tried it on a brass mod. If I'm remembering correctly, it was used on the Statue of Liberty restoration project. I used it as a rubbed finish on an oak table I restored and it's an amazing finish for that too. 2 coats and let it set. I would try some brass tubing or something first to see if it's to your liking. I love this stuff.
Amazon.com: Renaissance Wax Polish: Home & Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread