Not open for further replies.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Great tutorial Bronze! :thumb:

I just recently started getting into rebuilding because I have tired of buying coils for my nautilus. They're so hit and miss. When they work correctly, it hits pretty good but then there are others that crap out before a half tank is done.

I have an RSST that I have been working with but haven't quite got it producing the vapor the way I want it. I've got a couple of Black KF 3.1's being delivered today so this tutorial couldn't have come at a better time for me.

I'm really hoping that this produces more vapor and flavor than the Nautilus. I know it just has to. I really like the Nautilus but want at least the same performance on the cheap.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014

I just recently started getting into rebuilding because I have tired of buying coils for my Nautilus. They're so hit and miss. When they work correctly, it hits pretty good but then there are others that crap out before a half tank is done.

I have an RSST that I have been working with but haven't quite got it producing the vapor the way I want it. I've got a couple of Black KF 3.1's being delivered today so this tutorial couldn't have come at a better time for me.

I'm really hoping that this produces more vapor and flavor than the Nautilus. I know it just has to. I really like the Nautilus but want at least the same performance on the cheap.

Jaxgator, I thought my Nautilus was vape bliss until I got my first HC KF 3.1. It is far, far superior to the Nautilus. The flavor delivery is fantastic. And rebuilding is fun! The consensus here is don't bother trying to fill it from the fill port. Top filling is easy on the 3.1, and you won't risk damaging the fill port valve. Enjoy!

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Jaxgator, I thought my Nautilus was vape bliss until I got my first HC KF 3.1. It is far, far superior to the Nautilus. The flavor delivery is fantastic. And rebuilding is fun! The consensus here is don't bother trying to fill it from the fill port. Top filling is easy on the 3.1, and you won't risk damaging the fill port valve. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info LAwaters! I knew it just had to be much better than the Nautilus. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a decent build on one tonight and find out for myself.

Yeah, I have watched a couple of videos on rebuilding and filling them and what you say is exactly what the majority of owners were doing - filling from the top.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana

I just recently started getting into rebuilding because I have tired of buying coils for my Nautilus. They're so hit and miss. When they work correctly, it hits pretty good but then there are others that crap out before a half tank is done.

Jax I think you're gonna love the 3.1's , shoot for the 1.5-1.7ohm range , I find that to be the sweet spot on them , let us know here if you need any help .

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

Jax I think you're gonna love the 3.1's , shoot for the 1.5-1.7ohm range , I find that to be the sweet spot on them , let us know here if you need any help .

Ok, so I had some RSST's and was not very happy with them. Got the Kayfuns in the mail yesterday. I had been using the middle (3 mm) mandrel for my RSST coils. I saw where I should be using a smaller size to make micro coils so for the Kayfun build I used the second from smallest (1.5 mm) mandrel. After a couple of tries getting all sorts of error codes I finally figured out that I needed to unscrew the 510 battery connection. Once I got that sorted I ended up with a 1.1Ω coil. A little lower than I wanted but my ProVari fired it and it was heating perfectly so I left it at that.

Got it wicked pretty good I thought and reassembled it. Filled it from the top but must have overfilled it because the top was hard to reassemble. I finally got it in the end though.

First couple of drags were just ok. Continued hitting it and dialing in the voltage. Then I started messing with the airflow screw. Like someone mentioned earlier, I ended up with taking it out completely.

O. M. G! I am so so glad I went with this and this tutorial helped me out immensely, especially the wicking part so thanks again Bronze! :toast:

Every one was correct in that the amount of vapor and flavor has increased dramatically. I am so pleased with this experience. So much so, that I ordered 2 more Kayfuns for my other mods today. Can hardly wait to get home to build my next one. Going to shoot for about 1.5Ω's.

I enjoyed this so much that I had my tank built and was vaping away just before 8 last night. I vaped on it until 11 last night and come to find out, I damn near finished of an entire tank. :laugh:

God I love this place. Thanks again to all.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Ok, so I had some RSST's and was not very happy with them. Got the Kayfuns in the mail yesterday. I had been using the middle (3 mm) mandrel for my RSST coils. I saw where I should be using a smaller size to make micro coils so for the Kayfun build I used the second from smallest (1.5 mm) mandrel. After a couple of tries getting all sorts of error codes I finally figured out that I needed to unscrew the 510 battery connection. Once I got that sorted I ended up with a 1.1Ω coil. A little lower than I wanted but my ProVari fired it and it was heating perfectly so I left it at that.

Got it wicked pretty good I thought and reassembled it. Filled it from the top but must have overfilled it because the top was hard to reassemble. I finally got it in the end though.

First couple of drags were just ok. Continued hitting it and dialing in the voltage. Then I started messing with the airflow screw. Like someone mentioned earlier, I ended up with taking it out completely.

O. M. G! I am so so glad I went with this and this tutorial helped me out immensely, especially the wicking part so thanks again Bronze! :toast:

Every one was correct in that the amount of vapor and flavor has increased dramatically. I am so pleased with this experience. So much so, that I ordered 2 more Kayfuns for my other mods today. Can hardly wait to get home to build my next one. Going to shoot for about 1.5Ω's.

I enjoyed this so much that I had my tank built and was vaping away just before 8 last night. I vaped on it until 11 last night and come to find out, I damn near finished of an entire tank. :laugh:

Jax, what gauge Kanthal did you use? What did you wrap it around?

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014

That's excellent news! Congrats - and welcome to next level vaping! :)

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana

Great news Jax , just to let you know you can go a tad bit larger on the coil if you like , might make it a little easier to rewick , I usually run a 28ga coil with a 2mm internal diameter with 9 or 10 wraps puts me in the 1.5ohm range , I posted a vaping calculator a page back that can help get you in your sweet spot , but anyway congrats on the move up .

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Jax, what gauge Kanthal did you use? What did you wrap it around?

I used 28 ga wrapped around a 1.5 mm mandrel.

That's excellent news! Congrats - and welcome to next level vaping! :)

Thanks LAwaters! Next level vaping indeed.

Great news Jax , just to let you know you can go a tad bit larger on the coil if you like , might make it a little easier to rewick , I usually run a 28ga coil with a 2mm internal diameter with 9 or 10 wraps puts me in the 1.5ohm range , I posted a vaping calculator a page back that can help get you in your sweet spot , but anyway congrats on the move up .

Yeah, I could go larger but then I wouldn't be able to use my coil tool. It only has a 1.5 and a 3 mm mandrel. I guess I could make a mandrel out of a hanger. That seems like it might be between the 2 that came with it that are useable in size to make coils with.

I just made another coil for the other KF I got using 10 wraps around the 1.5 mm mandrel and came out at 1.3 ohms and my Capuccino is tasting awesome with tons of vapor.

Thanks for that link to the calculator. I'll try it out on my next build.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
jax, if you want to get to 1.5 ohms using your 28 ga you will need to go 2mm (5/64ths). Wrapping a coil by hand would rank about 9,654,877,967th most difficult task in my life. Ditch the mandrel gizmo if you have to. :)

I would love to but initially tried that with my RSST's and my coils were horrible. With this tool my coils are awesome and I really rely on it. Do you know the outside diameter of a standard metal hanger? Isn't it like 2 mm? I'm hoping so and intend to make a new mandrel out of it.

I have to give you mad props for the tutorial, especially the wicking part. I think that is the part I needed the most help with and your tutorial guided me in the right direction. No flooding and no dry hits through the entire tank last night.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I would love to but initially tried that with my RSST's and my coils were horrible. With this tool my coils are awesome and I really rely on it. Do you know the outside diameter of a standard metal hanger? Isn't it like 2 mm? I'm hoping so and intend to make a new mandrel out of it.

I have to give you mad props for the tutorial, especially the wicking part. I think that is the part I needed the most help with and your tutorial guided me in the right direction. No flooding and no dry hits through the entire tank last night.

I usually wrap mine around a 2mm mini screwdriver , if you just take your time wrapping you should have no problems , it also helps if you aneal the kanthal first to take some of the springiness out of it , you don't need a torch , a cigarette lighter works just fine , heat the wire a section at a time until it glows , do that from end to end and it'll make the wire more pliable and easier to work with .

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

Jax, hangers vary a lot. I just measured two of them. One was 2.23mm the other 2.47. Try a standard round toothpick. Those are 2.05mm. As for ugly wrapping, don't worry about it. That's what step #'s 4, 8, and 9 will solve.

Next time you're out and about,buy yourself a 5/64th" drill bit. That equals 2.00mm. Any home improvement or hardware store will have it. Shoot, WalMart probably has it.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Guys, I just got started with this and my little coil winding tool has been my saving grace. I found a hanger that was in between the 2 sizes that I had been using. I started experimenting yesterday but kept getting to high of resistance coils (2.4+). I'm going to play around with it some more today using less wraps and try to bring the ohms down some.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and help. :toast:

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
OK, built 2 micro coils tonight. 1.5 mm ID. 11 wraps. One came out to 1.3Ω and the other came out to 1.7Ω . The Provari will not fire the 1.3Ω coil but the eVic Supreme will. Different specs, I know. However, I am a little confused as they read same different ohms on both devices. With the same exact diameter and the same exact wraps, why didn't they measure out to the same or similar ohms? Deformed coil on one? If so. which one? High or low ohms? Or is that not determinable? BTW, I have a dedicated ohms reader on the way. Mainly for a stable stand to build on but another safety check as well.

I guess I shouldn't be posting this here in the Heather's Heavenly Vapes section but I have got you guys (gals? I think LAwaters is a girl) attention. Anyway, I think I found my vape heaven for the moment. Wait a minute! I guess since I have found my vape heaven, I am posting in the correct section. But I digress. I built some Navy nests today. Whoa! Awesome vape. I thought I never would but I think I now see dripping in my future. Seems like such a PITA to me so maybe I will start researching bottom feeders to ease into it. We'll see. I am happy where I am at for now.

Common sense tells me that it would be ok to use a regulated mod for dripping. Is it really necessary to use a mech mod with RDA's? If so, why? I mean my eVic will pump out 30 watts. I would think that I could supply the power needed for a dripper with that, no? Although, I have read many threads on battery safety thus far, I'm really not comfortable trusting myself with mechs just yet.

And the journey continues. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread