The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Kayfun 3.1 microcoil and cotton guide

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Romelee, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Romelee: I just ran across this post on building the 3.1 coil. It is very much appreciated. I found it more helpful than youtube, easy to refer refer back to double check each step as I learned the process. Your pictures are much clearer than the videos. Thank you for your time and detail.
    CMD-Ky

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 6, 2013
    Portland, OR
    Where did you get your mandrel?

...I found it....it appears that these can be found at beading hobby and craft shops.

3. David1975

David1975 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 30, 2014
    Northlake, IL, USA
    Just picked up an Hcigar Kayfun 3.1 and I see why everyone fills them from the top. Well, determined to use that fill port I broke out the magnifiers and lights to see why it doesn't work. And I found it.... on mine at least. First problem, when the holes are cut in this they resemble the letter L. One leg of the L is exposed inside on the deck and the other receiver a spring, steel ball and cap (making up the check valve). The problem here is then the cap is pushed in, it peals away metal behind it. These fragments get stuck and prevent the ball from fully opening. So, they must be cleaned away with a pick and pressurized water, leading to the second problem.... your needle. A standard blunt tip will not work well. When the blunt tip contacts the ball inside it acts like a flat surface and all but plugs the tip. Take a purple 16Gauge gauge blunt tip and sand down 2 sides a bit. Now, take this modified needle and a syringe, fill with water and use it to pressurize the water through the check valve. You will need to do this under running water and push and pull water through the valve while also using a piece of wire from the top deck area hole breaking up the "chunks" of metal. Took me about 5 minutes to clear it all out, but you wouldn't believe how much metal came out. If you can't use the valve on yours, I would suggest trying this even if you don't want to use it.....only reason I say this is because I'm not sure if that metal inside can rust or become dislodged over time, and could be the reason many have said their valve leaks. After doing this, I can take 4 mil of juice in a syringe and just push it through fast with absolutely no leaking.

4. GrimReaperDude

GrimReaperDude Full Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Wales
    Thanks for the tutorial Romelee, it has helped me out massively :vapor:

5. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Full Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Germany
    Awesome tutorial, i work in a vape shop in germany and just got my original svoemesto 3.1 sitting on my diy oak mech mod. Spent two hours lastnight trying to get my first good setup with no success (kind of embarrassing to admit) but after this 15 minutes later she is vaping sweet with my crazy liquids gepresster schlumpf. I am using .40mm ni-chro at 1ohm awesome flavor and throat hit

6. HoneyGram57

HoneyGram57 Full Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Kentucky
    Need some help with the Mini Kayfun build Please.
    Made my first micro coil with Kanthal 28, beautiful little thing, tested out at 1.68 ohm. Then I clipped the leg wires & it popped out from the screws!:facepalm: The mounting screws on the mini are so tiny, Any advice on what size Kanthal I should use with the mini Kayfun? :confused:
    BTW, you guys make this look WAY too easy...I'd worked so hard to get that coil in place when it popped I screamed!8-o

7. Ca Ike

Ca Ike Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 20, 2014
    Cali
    On the mini I would use 30 or 32 gauge

8. HoneyGram57

HoneyGram57 Full Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Kentucky
    Thank you!

9. DannyGilley

DannyGilley Full Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Louisiana
    Very nice guide OP. One thing I have found that I did not see mentioned is that the coil needs to be about 1 mm away from the air hole on the deck. I was having flooding problems and found out that if I had the coil too close to the intake hole. The juice would leak down and out the intake hole.

10. ForeverDiving

ForeverDiving Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Great tuto, Romelee... Kudos to you! :thumb:

11. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Nice tutorial, Romelee! I've been aligning my coil parallel to the screws and curving my wick tails down and along the side of the deck. That works, but it's not as predictable as I'd like. I'll try your way and see what I get. Having the fibers aligned vertically and all touching the deck makes more sense for absorption than having the fibers lay on the deck perpendicular to the juice channels.

12. Chris Shot Herndon

Chris Shot Herndon Full Member

Jul 13, 2014
    7 Cities
    Ummmm....? Duh.

Jk.... Nice writeup for a beginner!

13. regal55

regal55 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    york,PA
    Where do you get the huer lock bottle and even harder to find the plastic luer lock tip?

14. RuDawg7890

RuDawg7890 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I get mine from Amazon. Just search "Luer Lock" on Amazon and you'll find many choices.

15. DaveP

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I was hoping to find that mandrel at Hobby Lobby. They couldn't find it even with a picture of it on my phone! If you know of an online source, please post it here.

16. Jerry J

Jerry J Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 6, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I got mine at Michael's. I just checked their website and they don't have the set that I bought listed. Mine was only $8 at the Micheal's and it looks like there are several in GA. The set was on a rack of tools for beaders.

Nice looking Les Paul! I have a '68 Gold Top that is a smokin' guitar with those P-90's.

17. julpin

julpin Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 12, 2012
    Florida
    Just got my Kayfun today, this tutorial is a godsend because I can`t get it to work properly, the flavor is horrible! I have a microcoil at 1.5ohm 28ga to be honest all I can taste is cotton, like if I was sucking on my tshirt.

18. Maybe you can post pic to let thw veterans (not me) have a look on your setup

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

19. DaveP

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I've used this method since I saw Romelee's post here. It wicks like crazy and I usually get 3 or more days before I need to re-wick and dry burn. It's the only method I use now. Even with plain old organic cotton I'm getting the best vapes I've had from my Kayfun!

BTW, the mandrel is available from Amazon. Just search "all departments" for step mandrel and you'll see several styles. This one is $6. It has 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm steps.

http://www.amazon.com/Step-Mandrel-Wire-Bending-Sizes/dp/B00KCRQGV8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1412091002&sr=8-4&keywords=step+mandrel

[​IMG]

20. DaveP

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Thanks, it's a '56 Goldtop re-issue from Epiphone. I have a '92 Wine Red Gibson with gold trim and an Epiphone custom shop Les Paul flametop. I've customized the flametop with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups and a replacement bridge. I did fret leveling on both my Epi's and that makes a world of difference in the action.

From the Man Cave studio :) This picture was taken before the SG and the Tele were added.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.